Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

House batteries not charging.

Ok here is what happened. I drove my coach, 2011 Tour AD, from SC to WI two weeks ago. When I left SC the lights on the house and chassis battery switches were lit up as normal. I had my inverter on for the fridge the whole way. When I tried to start the generator, it would not start due to low voltage, 11.5v and it just clicked. I then plugged the coach in to a 30 amp circuit to charge the batteries and tried the next day and the gen started ok. Now when plugged in the lights on the house/chassis switches do not light up. It appears the house batteries are not charging while driving. The chassis batteries charge while driving, and everything charges with the genny. My brother inlaws Tiffin did the same thing and he ordered a new solenoid switch for his.
I found the solenoid back near the engine on the drivers side and checked the connections and the 5 amp fuse. Am I missing anything? is there a way to check the switch to see if it has failed? Is this why my inside switches do not light up now. They both worked when I left and it would be odd that they both fail at the same time.
Thanks for any help on this.
Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:52 AM   #2
2010 Winnebago Via 25r

I know this is probably far fetched but mine did the same thing. First I coed the water in them ,.. empty. Filled water and everything ok one day. Next day bad. As I was not using I just let it go. Also had listed for sale so thought I would reduce price to compensate for battery price. Well decided to go camping so off to the battery place. Come to find out they had froze in the winter and were swollen and bottom busted. Changed out batteries and all great again. Good luck.
Mbarton557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Winnebago uses a charge mode solenoid to connect the house batteries to the alternator when the engine is running. This in turn provides the feed from the alternator to the batteries and the inverter to keep things running while driving.
On my Journey, the solenoid is a 200amp Trombetta. It is located in the electrical compartment behind the DS rear wheels. The solenoid is located behind a metal panel in this compartment. I have had two fail in 8 years. Seems the switching of high currents pits the solenoid internal connections and the solenoid loses connectivity. It is a fairly common issue in coaches the vintage of mine.
The generator would not start because it is started by the house batteries which are not getting charged.
If you are not getting roughly the same voltage on your house batteries as on the chassis batteries when the engine is running, your solenoid needs to be replaced. It is one of the items on a coach that "it's not a question of if it will fail, rather when" so I always carry a spare. It is easy to replace once you get everything open but there were many "hot" connections in the area so work carefully. Take a picture of the leads on the bottom of the solenoid to make sure they end up in the right place on the new one. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the info. I had taken the panel off where this is located. There are two units bolted to the floor, one on the right side has a 5amp fuse in it, the one on the left doesn't. I think one is a relay, not sure which is the solenoid I need to replace. Would I be able to get the solenoid at any RV dealership or have to go to Winnebago exclusively. Thanks again for your help.
Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Trombetta Solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Winnebago uses a charge mode solenoid to connect the house batteries to the alternator when the engine is running. This in turn provides the feed from the alternator to the batteries and the inverter to keep things running while driving.
On my Journey, the solenoid is a 200amp Trombetta. It is located in the electrical compartment behind the DS rear wheels. The solenoid is located behind a metal panel in this compartment. I have had two fail in 8 years. Seems the switching of high currents pits the solenoid internal connections and the solenoid loses connectivity. It is a fairly common issue in coaches the vintage of mine.
The generator would not start because it is started by the house batteries which are not getting charged.
If you are not getting roughly the same voltage on your house batteries as on the chassis batteries when the engine is running, your solenoid needs to be replaced. It is one of the items on a coach that "it's not a question of if it will fail, rather when" so I always carry a spare. It is easy to replace once you get everything open but there were many "hot" connections in the area so work carefully. Take a picture of the leads on the bottom of the solenoid to make sure they end up in the right place on the new one. Good luck,
If it is not too much trouble, it is possible to take a photo of this particular solenoid and post it up here. I think I know what you are talking about but, a picture would help. I have a solenoid in the electric compartment up front on my coach and there is a solenoid that basically stays "hot" all the time -- I think this is the one you are talking about but, would like to confirm.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Dave
Don't have a picture but the link below will take you to the Trombetta web site. Mine has the 225amp Bear model as shown in the picture.

DC Contactors | Trombetta | Contactor Relay

You can really use any contactor/solenoid rated for 200+ amps continuous at 12 volts. Best to get one with silver contacts as it will last longer.

Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bago View Post
Ok here is what happened. I drove my coach, 2011 Tour AD, from SC to WI two weeks ago. When I left SC the lights on the house and chassis battery switches were lit up as normal. I had my inverter on for the fridge the whole way. When I tried to start the generator, it would not start due to low voltage, 11.5v and it just clicked. I then plugged the coach in to a 30 amp circuit to charge the batteries and tried the next day and the gen started ok. Now when plugged in the lights on the house/chassis switches do not light up. It appears the house batteries are not charging while driving. The chassis batteries charge while driving, and everything charges with the genny. My brother inlaws Tiffin did the same thing and he ordered a new solenoid switch for his.
I found the solenoid back near the engine on the drivers side and checked the connections and the 5 amp fuse. Am I missing anything? is there a way to check the switch to see if it has failed? Is this why my inside switches do not light up now. They both worked when I left and it would be odd that they both fail at the same time.
Thanks for any help on this.
We have a B.I.R.D. charging system: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_176244.pdf for starters. And http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_174958.pdf for the battery cabling.
I had a problem like yours. I operated the battery disconnect switches a couple of times and all went to normal. (Check the water in the start batteries. A little mineral oil in each cell will stop the corrosive vapors from getting to your terminals.)

Hope this info helps.
Rick

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries