Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

house batteries not charging

I goofed, I got home from a trip and forgot to disengage my coach batteries, long story short they died as I was away for a couple of days. I plugged in to shore power and the batteries won't charge. They are new interstates, what could be the problem?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Is the main battery switch on? (AKA the salesman switch)
Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes. I fear I may have done major harm by letting them completely discharge.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If they got too low the onboard charger may refuse to charge them. I would put them on an external charger and see how that works.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Oh Dear! That is probably the case. Modern 'smart' chargers won't lift a matters out of the basement. You need an old school analog/manual charger (the kind with the (steam gauge) amp meter. About 10amp should do it.

It should turn on for a few seconds and rest for a while. As it raises the battery's charge, it will stay on longer and longer. It may take a couple days to get a full charge. (Figure battery capacity / average charging rate. 150Ah / ~ 5A charge rate = 30 hours as an example....).

Have you damaged the batteries???? Probably, but it may not be fatal since you caught it quickly. Bruised..not mortally wounded.

It is worth a shot, IMHO.

Next. Two suggestions.... 1. To help remember to turn off the Coach "Master Electrical" switch, leave a coach light on inside where you can see it as you leave as a reminder that the switch is ON. Light OFF = Electrical System OFF

2. Grab your RV's manuals and research the coach charging system. The charger should have a multi-stage charging regime AND a maintaining scheme that includes "desulfating". The latter will help (maybe) restore the batteries and extend their life. If, it doesn't... you can get a charger maintainer and manually hook it up from time to time to top them up and maintain them.

I hope this helps... Keep us posted!
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We are full believers in checklists and always review them.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Yep! Check lists are a "good do"!!!
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Put a "trickle" 2 amp charge for 24hrs or more. Batteries will charge. But if not and being the batteries are new, bring them back to the store and ask for replacement under warranty.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

After several tries with no luck on trickle and regular charge, I put the charger on its highest setting and it worked. I have no idea why the batteries were new interstates but it worked so.... Thanks for all the replies they are appreciated.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Might want to have the batteries load tested. Hate for it to die on you while out camping.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
Site Team

Yes, you should have a load test done. If it’s a flooded battery each cell should be tested too. It may be sulfated. It may charge but not hold a load for very long. There are battery shops that can test and bring back damaged lead acid batteries.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
"1. To help remember to turn off the Coach "Master Electrical" switch, leave a coach light on inside where you can see it as you leave as a reminder that the switch is ON. Light OFF = Electrical System OFF"
Thanks, OldCrows. Great tip. I have a "Leaving/Storing the RV" ck list, but this visual reminder is a good thing IMHO.

Safe travels............. ed s
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries