Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

i think i just found problem. as going by wht the pdf shows page 21 spark probe assemblly, an that is the piece i was talking abt, have to check gap, seems if flame goes out, that will send signal to shut gas off. and/or if doesn detect a flame will shut off gas.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

I suggest you reset heater, then observe it starting. If the gap is O.K. a spark will be created (sounds like a snapping sound) and gas will ignite. If it goes out in a short time, it points to the thermocouple or thermal sensor not detecting heat and turning off gas valve. First, clean out mixture tube and burner area because a spider nest or mud dauber tube will prevent proper burning. If it's clean, then replacement of the malfunctioning part is warranted. Flame should be mostly blue, adjust air mixer if not to produce blue flame.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

goes out after short time so also thinking its sensor, but when it does burn, flame is blue, but will clean it out tomorrow, have to go to lowes get wire brush, local hardware store doesnt have any flexible ones. thanks to all. really appreciate the help i get here, just shows this site is num 1. an for all the good reasons. i let ya all know how this works out. wht gets me is that last time used it few weeks back worked great. an was double checking everything before we go on another weeken rv trip.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

I believe the air gap in the ignitor should be less than 1/8" and should be in the flame.

Oh....and don't be touching it when its firing....its like grabbing a spark plug....don't ask how i know..
Old 01-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I knew someone would figure it out. And isn't it amazing how many "don't ask how I know" there are!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I was troubleshooting the ignitor on a 5th wheel we had at the time. Had the ignitor removed and just hanging there to test it. Hit the light button and then ran out to hold the ignitor ( it was drizzling out at the time) well I got one hell of a jolt but could not let go because I did not want any propane in the area to ignite, so took a few good hits till the damn thing timed out...My wife wanted to know later why I was "jumping around out there"
Old 01-26-2014, 01:17 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Well finally got it fixed, went down to rv. an for hell of it, i bent the bracket that holds the ceramic igniter, hit the water heater switch and ta daaaaa, came on an stayed on. only thing i can think is, that during 1st use, while it was heating up water, heat might of made bracket expand./move upward away from flame causing it to shut gas off. thanks to all for tips.

Tags
water