Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve

My fresh water issues continue....it seems that after I tightened the two connections in the water compartment that were leaking I now get dripping from the Pressure relief valve when I have the hwh turned on...using electric, haven't checked if this happens on propane?
Anyway I have re-established the air-gap in the hwh several times:
1. Turn off water heater
2. Turn off water supply
3. Open hot water faucet closest to hwh in coach
4. Pull handle of pressure relief valve straight out until water flow stops
5. Allow pressure relief valve to snap shut, close faucet, turn on water supply
...but after about 1/2 hr after turning on the hwh the valve drips...so is this normal or do I have a defective pressure relief valve?
Thanks again for any input!

Jim
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

In a new RV I'd say it's defective. The pressure relief valve usually leaks after many years from mineral deposits that prevent complete closing. If allowing it to snap closed hasn't solved the seating issue, I'd replace it. Save the valve and turn it in at the next Winnebago service center you drive near. If they don't believe it's bad, reinstall it and let them see it drip.

Until you replace it, to keep water draining out your wet bay, tie a string around the valve opening and let it drape out the compartment door. The drips will follow the string to the outside.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My HW heater leaks, relief valve, occasionally when it first lights. I make it a habit to crack the faucet (HW) after tank gets warm. Seems to stop the drip from the valve. I know it needs replaced but I am procrastinating.
Thanks for the string idea.
John
Mr John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Went to Home Depot and picked up a digital thermometer....ran the hwh on electric until it shut off....no drip!!! Ran hot water out of the faucet for about a min and it was 139 degrees...
Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi Jim
That relief valve is both a temperature and pressure relief valve. It should have a metal tag on it which will tell you at what temperature and pressure it is set to open.See how that information compares with the temp. reading you got with your thermometer. 135 temp. doesn't sound too high to me. The T&P valve on my home water heater is rated 150 PSI and 210 degrees.

Fred (from the other forum)
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We had our tank weep from the pressure valve once and it turned out to be a VERY high campground water pressure. We forgot to use our pressure regulator on the hose. This high pressure ended up ruining our pump even though we didn't use the pump while hooked up to the campground water but the company said when I called that the water pressure still presses on the pumps diaphragm and a really high pressure can ruin it. learned a lesson.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Two things to fix
One, always use a pressure regulator, See notes below

Two, Re-establish air cushion in water heater.. To do this shut off water, and water heater, DRAIN and flush water heater (Remove drain plug or anode rod depending on water heater, Manuall open TPR, let it empty flush with flush wand, Replace plug, Close TPR, Turn water back on. Wait five minutes, turn heater back on)

Regulators
Small -inline- units which are plastic or brass cyinders about 3/4 inch in diamater male and female hose ends are part of the shell, With or without wings or brightly colored plastic grips on the female end.

AVOID those, they can not handle the flow for a decent shower

Valterra Adjustable with gauge: Have not presonally tried but others speak highly (or type highely) about them.

Watts, also Zurin,, (Plumbing isle at Lowes/Home Depot/Mennards or a plumbing supply store) adjustable, Mine are 3/4 inch, no noticable restriciton on water flow when showering when these are new (in fact I hooked up my new ZURIN, set it to 50PSI static, opened the outside shower (So I could read the gauge) and observed the needle look like it was welded to the 50 PSI point)

As they age they start to restrict flow.. but you can get rebuild kits that should restore it to full operation (I need to get one for my Watts).. My Watts used to work like the Zurin, 9 years ago.

Why 3/4 inch? Two answers: Hose adapters often have 3/4 inch IPT threads so they screw in directly without the need of a nipple.

Cheaper, Seems they sell more 3/4 inch units.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

A routine most of us forget to do is to pull the tab up on the valve a couple of times a year. This keeps it moving freely and clears the crust from the inside. I just did this on mine. It continued to drip a little so I tapped the end or the rod a few times with a screwdriver handle till it stopped dripping. I just checked it yesterday and all is still dry.

When you do this be careful for the water is hot. You need the pressure of the hose/pump to force the water to flow. It is messy.

Rick Y
Old 01-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Update: I went to LaMesa RV today in Mesa, AZ...took all day but according to the Svc advisor WGO insists that they first verify the valve is leaking...so they have to fire up the water heater and verify it leaks...then they are to remove the valve and clean it....reinstall and then verify it is still leaking...then get permission from WGO to replace the part....ok maybe a $20 part??? Are you freaking kidding me!! Then after getting permission they install the new valve and test to make sure it does not weep/leak....got out of there at 3:30 PM....now hopefully it has been fixed...will monitor over the next day....geesh!!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
Update: I went to LaMesa RV today in Mesa, AZ...took all day but according to the Svc advisor WGO insists that they first verify the valve is leaking...so they have to fire up the water heater and verify it leaks...then they are to remove the valve and clean it....reinstall and then verify it is still leaking...then get permission from WGO to replace the part....ok maybe a $20 part??? Are you freaking kidding me!! Then after getting permission they install the new valve and test to make sure it does not weep/leak....got out of there at 3:30 PM....now hopefully it has been fixed...will monitor over the next day....geesh!!
So for $20 and 15 min of time you could have fixed it yourself? Not worth trying to use a "warranty" on in my book!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I would say the valve is defective or else the Hot water heater is not shutting down when the proper temperature is reached. I would check the temperature settings it may be to high. A new valve should not cost that much to replace. You could do it your self.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So for $20 and 15 min of time you could have fixed it yourself? Not worth trying to use a "warranty" on in my book!

X2^!

2003 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster-F53 Chassis towing 1998 Tracker
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

This valve occasionally leaks because the air-pocket in the top of the water tank has been absorbed by the water. Notice the valve is not at the top of the tank, perhaps an inch or so below. This "air-cushion" is there to allow for water expansion as it gets hot. Because we know a liquid cannot be compressed, it must have an air/gas volume present to prevent something from breaking or leaking. Most RV WH's have a check valve in the line to prevent hot water from pushing backwards into the cold water inlet, hot water faucets are closed, no place for expanding, heating, water to go but out the pop-off valve without the "air-cushion".

If your new valve begins to leak, shut off water pressure, open WH drain to allow about a gallon-or more to drain out, close drain, turn on water pressure. Resume RVing and having fun.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water heater, water