Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have a Horizon 40AD that has the PowerLine energy management system. How can I check to see the the coach batteries are charging? House batteries?

Do the house batteries charge when driving? Do the coach batteries charge when on shore power?

I store my Horizon in a storage lot with no electricity for weeks and sometimes months. How often should I run the generator to charge the batteries. I have heard the solor charger is not adequate for longer periods.

LK23
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a Horizon 40AD that has the PowerLine energy management system. How can I check to see the the coach batteries are charging? House batteries?

Do the house batteries charge when driving? Do the coach batteries charge when on shore power?

I store my Horizon in a storage lot with no electricity for weeks and sometimes months. How often should I run the generator to charge the batteries. I have heard the solor charger is not adequate for longer periods.

LK23
Old 01-05-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
PDB
Winnebago Camper

My understanding is that shore power charges the coach batts, but not the chassis batts; and when the engine is running, the reverse is true.
I installed a BatteryMindr ($44) and it charges my chassis batts 24/7 so long as shore power is charging my coach batts.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:08 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

When the ignition key is on (in other words - the engine is running), the charge solenoid closes (tying both sets of batteries together) and allows your vehicle alternator to charge both sets of batteries. When you are stopped and plugged into shore power the inverter/charge (or converter) will charge the house batteries but not the chassis batteries (because the charge solenoid is now open).

The OEM solar panel is useless because it's too small so don't count on it.

If you are going to be parked wit no power for a few months I would disconnect the batteries. My coach has a switch by the door that trips the disconnect solenoid but this solenoid only disconnects the house batteries. Back by my battery box I have two manual disconnects as well - one for each set of batteries so I can manually disconnect them back there if needed. If you don't have a disconnect for the chassis batteries I'd either pull the ground cables off of them or else install a switch.

I too have the BatteryMinder and it does keep my chassis batteries charged while plugged in. It won't help you if you have no AC power available though. However, I'm always plugged in over winter so the disconnects don't get used too much on my coach.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Cruzer,

Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

What kind of switch did you install to disconnect your batteries? Where did you purchase it?

LK23
Old 01-08-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My coach came with the disconnects. They are large rotary knob disconnects, similar to those used on boats. I'm sure you can get them at any Tiffin dealer or probably at any boat dealer as well. If you want to go fancy you could go to your Winnebago dealer and pick up a second disconnect solenoid and rocker switch, identical to the one in your coach that works the house batteries. Then you could trip either set from inside the coach. I did this on my Suncruiser but I never got to installing them because I traded it on the Bus. Come to think of it, I still have them on my shelf. The advantage is that now you don't have to go into the basement compartment to disconnect the chassis batteries. The thing to watch out for is that you don't put the switch where you could bump it while driving though. I planned on putting mine in the breaker panel cabinet but just never got to it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:07 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

LK, if you are comfortable doing some minor electrical work, you might also consider adding either an Echo-Charge, which will charge both banks of batteries from your converter, or an Intellitec B.I.R.D. smart module, which will charge both banks from either the engine alternator, or the converter, when certain sets of conditions are met. It's a whole lot less expensive than the Echo Charge, as well. Here's a link: Intellitec B.I.R.D.

I just recently found out here on this forum, about the Intellitec product, and after talking with them for a while, ordered one. They told me that Winnebago is still installing them on their high line coaches. I know they used them on the Ultimate Advantage, as it came up in a google search.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
jeb
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LK23:
I have a Horizon 40AD that has the PowerLine energy management system. How can I check to see the the coach batteries are charging? House batteries? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should have a rocker switch on your panel to see the voltage levels of each set of batteries. Just check the voltage with the rocker while the rig is plugged in, charging on the motor, etc. If you see above 12.5V, they're charging.

As Bill said, our UA has the smart charger circuitry and charges both sets of batteries whenever plugged in or running the genset. A very nice feature.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The coach batteries are not charged by the inverter. They are only charged by the engine alternator and as was mentioned in the previous post check the charge rate by pushing the rocker switch down.

The house batteries are charged by the inverter/charger. If yours is like mine it has a panel (Dimensions) on the bottom of the EMS that the charge rate amps can be set. The charger draw rate is set on the far right switch. I usually just leave mine on 20 amps, it will automatically kick in and out to maintain the charge of the house batteries. If it its set at 0 the batteries will not charge. Push the panel on/off button on this bottom panel to also check the house battery charge and amps being supplied by the charger.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the replies.

I found out today that my Horizon has two of the three house batteries that are not deep cycle. They will not hold a charge. I am working with the dealer to get them replaced.

I am planning to replace each 12 volt battery with two six volt batteries.

Since my motor home will sit in storage without shore power for up to 2 months, I am still wondering how often I need to run the generator to keep the batteries charged. The solar panel is not sufficient. Maybe I should consider adding another panel??