Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

horizon itasca headlights and wipers problem

My 04 horizon itasca has left me in the dark when driving at night. with the headlights on in either high beam or low beam, as soon as I turn the windshiel wipers on, the headlights go off. I can not turn them back on until I turn the ignition key off, then back on. after that they work fine, both high and low beams, until I turn the wipers back on. I've searched for poor grounds, and found a couple that looked like they need to be cleaned, but nothing changed, I've searched for shorted or skinned wires and found nothing. Freight Liner looked at it and found a couple of corroded pins in a wiring harness, but that didn't fix the problem either.
I hope some one else has had this and solved it. I don't know what else to look at.
Kim Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That's going to be a tough one as there are tons of ways that the two may be getting crossed together. I do not even pretend to know the electronics on a 2004 , nor Freightliner but I do know something about the general electronics we get on vehicles and many other appliances.
The newer a vehicle is, the more electronics are packed in and lots of those electronic gizmos depend on IC (chips?) to make decisions. I've just had amy 2014 Focus to the shop for a minor hickup which requires two shops and a total of three trips and 6 days at the first and two trips and about ten days at the second shop before they were able to find the true problem. Even good mechs can no longer just figure it out but have to relie on the computer printout to tell them what to change. When that doesn't work, they are hard pressed to find the cause.
Inside those chips there are an unlimited number of ways to connect the input and outputs together to make the right answers pop out. Those leads are so close together that it is hard to see and it is very easy for a chip to get damaged so that the little answer is not right. Kind of like pressing the "A " key on your keyboard but you get "L" instead?
Could be wiring, could be connectors, or it could be a chip that has simply lost it's mind. In theory, and given enough time and effort, a good mech can look at those wires and connections but he will never be able to see and spot a problem on a chip!
Would you believe the chip which controls the transmission will also change the way the drivers window operates? It does on my car, so I don't have any good suggestions on your "gremlin" as it really is getting hard to sort things out.
I live in fear of the day my car dies and I have to buy new with the added "features" which are sure to be added.
Sorry! No help here!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to iRV2.

Do you have a smart wheel? https://www.vipwheels.com/sites/defa...OUBLESHOOT.pdf
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Petersen View Post
My 04 horizon itasca has left me in the dark when driving at night. with the headlights on in either high beam or low beam, as soon as I turn the windshiel wipers on, the headlights go off. I can not turn them back on until I turn the ignition key off, then back on. after that they work fine, both high and low beams, until I turn the wipers back on. I've searched for poor grounds, and found a couple that looked like they need to be cleaned, but nothing changed, I've searched for shorted or skinned wires and found nothing. Freight Liner looked at it and found a couple of corroded pins in a wiring harness, but that didn't fix the problem either.
I hope some one else has had this and solved it. I don't know what else to look at.
When you turn your wipers “on”, do the wipers work when the lights go off?
Old 05-18-2020, 05:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

yes, the wipers work and all the controls, time delay, high speed, low speed work as they should, just the head lights go off.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

Do you have a smart wheel? https://www.vipwheels.com/sites/defa...OUBLESHOOT.pdf
from the link you sent, yes, it looks like my steering wheel. thanks
Old 05-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Follow the troubleshooting guide.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
Rig05 Itasca Horizon 40FD

Hi Kim we just went through a very similar problem with our 05 Horizon 40FD. We had a couple of mobile mechanics look at it and they couldn't find the problem so we ended up taking it to a heavy truck mechanic. It turned out to be a control module behind the electrical panel. The module cost around 425-450 but the trouble shooting cost us 1500. It took 5 hours to figure out what was wrong. Good luck, maybe if you give them this information you can reduce the trouble shooting time some. The replacement of the part only took about 20 minutes once they figured it out.
eayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, light, lights