Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hooking up independant second Dish receiver

I have an Itasca Suncruiser 35F that I purchased a second Dish 211 receiver for the bedroom but trying to figure out how to hook it up so its independent of the main unit. Everything is hooked up to go through the HDMI Matrix unit. Has anyone hooked up independent unit going through the same satellite Dish??

2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
Pirate_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Your sat antenna needs to be able to support multiple TV.

Wireless HDMI works, if no coax to the bedroom and you want to colocate the receivers up front. Wally's have RF remote control - will work from the bedroom.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Pirate_Mike, I have a Dish receiver in front and Dish receiver in back with Winegard Trav'ler Antenna.
To start with what antenna do you have?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks grtharris... I have the Road Trip and its connected through the HDMI unit in front. I'm thinking i will have to put the second receiver up front and use an RF transmitter because i'm not sure how to split the signal in the bedroom. Any ideas??

Old 05-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Pirate_Mike There are two wall plates in the front over head cabinet, see attached drawing. The installer should have connected the primary output from the antenna to the coax from the No 1 connector and the secondary output to the No 2 connector. The no. 1 connector connects to the up front receiver and the no. 2 connector gets a jumper and connects to the coax going to the wall plate in the bedroom.
Now your antenna only has one dish so it can only receive signals from one satellite at a time and the primary receiver has control of which satellite it looks at. The bedroom receiver can receiver all of the channels from which every satellite the dish is pointing at. So there has to be some communications between who ever is controlling the up front receiver and the person watching the secondary receiver.
What model is the Road Trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 37F Sat cable.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	160549  
Old 05-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much for the details... I have the RoadTrip Mini Max which according to the documentation will support two receivers although there apparently are some caveats with that based on other posts i've been reading. I bought the RV gently used so i'm playing catch up with educating myself on the working. I sincerely appreciate your inputs. I do have two outputs but i'm a little confused as there is a HDMI splitter device that everything goes through. When i looked at the bedroom tv, it has coax attached but i believe that is just for cable input such as at the campground. I have an electronic box by all the tvs are connected to the HDMI splitter. So, my thinking is that i might have to put the other receiver up front and wire it into the splitter for the bedroom port. Am i thinking correctly?? Or do you think there is a way to put the receiver in the back. I'm fairly certain that everything runs through the front and is distributed via HDMI. Thanks again, hopefully i'm explaining things correctly.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Pirate_MikeThere is a satellite cable that goes to the bedroom from up front. There is a brown wall plate in the shelf under the TV on the right side. The attached pictures are of the two wall plates up front and the one under the bedroom TV. Note the jumper coax between the two wall plates up front that I added.
I have the second receiver in the back which is much better than going through the matrix switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 35F front sat plate.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	160740   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 35F rear sat plate.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	160741  

Old 05-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Grtharris.... Again, thanks so much for your help, very, very much appreciated. Well, i spent about 4 or 5 hours messing with it yesterday to no avail, including over an hour on the phone with Dish. I tried your solution first and after i thought about it and looked at it should have worked perfectly. I was not able to get any signal to the TV for some reason. I then thought I'd try it up front utilizing the HDMI switch and then I'd worry about getting a RF transmitter to the bedroom. Well that solution worked better as i was getting a signal to the TV. I used Sat 2 and left the other receiver on Sat 1. Well the problem there was that it would hang when it tried to acquire signal. So, after several conversations with Dish and going through all their troubleshooting options, they insist that the dish will not work with two receivers even though it clearly states that the Winegard will. They insist that I would need another antennae to get two receivers to work. I know other people have got it to work including you and i have seen some other posts though with the same issue i have. At this point I've given up and will just use the one receiver and I'll get an RF transmitter to be able to change channels in the bedroom. I'll just lose the ability to have to different channels on two different TVs. I'm going to make a call to Winegard and see what their take on it is. Thanks again for all your help. Very much appreciated!!!

Old 05-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Pirate_Mike, Did you install the jumper between the SAT 2 and To the Bedroom Sat connector up front? Here is a good link that talks about setting up the receivers which make sense, the secondary out from the Roadtrip does not have all of the signals that are on the primary output.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/wineg...ng-178294.html

Tags
dish