Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

hooking up campsite's TV cable box

My 2017 Trend has satellite AND cable hookups. When at a campsite, using their converter box, I can not figure out the needed hookup. Cable to input (in power locker). Next??? The converter box has input and output. So, where do I attach the converter box? Manuals are of no assistance!
Thanks for any help
Kendorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Here is a link to the wiring. https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram...ire_186406.pdf
Unfortunately there are a bunch of variations that can and do happen. Basically you plug in the site cable in the power locker. Then you have to select inside to use that instead of your roof antenna. Then you have to make sure your TV is using the built in tuner connected to the TV via coax.

Hope this leads you down the correct path. Good luck.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Mike..Here's what I did...I disconnected the coax TO the TV then connected it to the IN on the converter box. Then with a jumper, connected the OUT on the converter box to the TV and Voila, it worked. It's a PIA getting the coax disconnected from the TV and vice versa as the mounting bracket is in the way. I'll either cut that part away giving access to the terminal OR will make a small jumper with a signal splitter for a "next time cable box" Thanks again,
Ken
Old 06-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You need to use this converter box because? Most modern TVs can handle analog or digital cable just fine. Try it without their box and see what you get.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Biggest problem was access to the back of the TV
Old 06-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2004 Itasca and my husband disconnected the cable cord from the TV when we put a new flat screen in.

Will the connection in the bedroom and the outside bay still work on the CG cable connection if I purchase another small TV and connect them to the cable?
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

As far as I know, in Winnebago's, the antenna and the tv cable share the same cable inside the coach. You need to do three things to use the camp cable signal.

First, hook up from your external cable jack (usually in the power compartment) to their jack, usually on the power pole.

Second, turn off your antenna signal booster, usually located by the master TV routing box in a front cabinet.

Third, in your TV setup screen, itself, follow its directions to change its TV signal from antenna to cable, then search for channels.

With my coach, the external coax connection in a basement bay connects perfectly with the TV signal in the rest of the coach, to a 2008 Samsung 19" flat screen. No converter box needed on TV's built after 2005 I believe.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our local cable company COX switched to all digital system and each TV required a small digital converter box. Cable coax line ran in to the box, HMDI out to the TV. Program the converter box remote for that brand of TV and use it to select the program you want.
I suppose if you’re in a area that has a similar provider the park may need to hand out one of these little converter boxes and a HDMI to the renter. If that’s the case you need to remove the coax from the TV and connect to the converter then connect the HDMI to the TV. Hopefully your TV has HDMI that is easily acceptable. As said before, turn off the antenna booster on the Winnguard selector box and select CABLE for the TV you’re dealing with.

I just started a overhaul of my 2008 Journeys entertainment center and have found a way to add cables from the entertainment center to the bedroom TV. Won’t be easy but it’s possible. Now that I have everything torn apart I’m going to map things out. Im also changing the old Jensen 27” out for a Jensen 32”.

Interesting note, while rolling down the road my wife informed me the bedroom TV was rattling very loudly. I finally took a closer look and was shocked to find that the TV was only hanging from the wall mount with ZERO mounting screws installed. Unlikely the screws fell out... we’re lucky the TV didn’t bounce off the bracket while we beat our coach to death on Oklahoma and Colorado highways...
Good luck!
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

All I did was connect the site cable to the (cable) coax on the outside of the camper, then in the tv input menu select "cable" instead of antenna. Apparently all the wiring was in place in my 2108DS (2018). I also bought a cord to connect my iPad for watching Netflix. Yes it was a pain to take down the tv and plug in the cord, but after doing that, I just leave the cord plugged in so that I can easily use it.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My rant on cable boxes....
We have the technical abilities to design TVs with everything self contained to receive any type of signal and display it.
We don’t need all of the external devices to view programs.
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

When we installed the new flat screen my husband did NOT re connect the cable coax to that TV. He left it off for whatever reason. He does not want to bother re-connecting it.

We sit outside a lot and I was asking if a TV hooked up to the cable connection in the basement bay would still work on a TV there.

I figure when we are sitting outside or the connection in the bedroom would allow us to use the cable so that we can watch more than what the antenna will get us.

Seems it would just be so much easier to just re-connect the cable to the new TV.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote