Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

High Pointe Microwave/Convection Oven

A High Point Microwave/Convection oven came as an option in our 2011 Vista. It is rated at 1000 watts convection output. The wife thinks it is junk. It takes 2-3 times longer than a conventional oven. She fixed shortcake last night. Normally bakes about 11 minutes @ 400 degrees, last night she set the oven @425 (high as it goes) and had to bake it 25 minutes. Does anybody have any experience with this oven?
As a side note, we have a Sharp Microwave/Convection (I believe rated the same) in our 2001 5thwheel. It bakes slightly faster than a conventional oven. Any help?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Did your Sharp default to Microwave Mixed Mode Convection which would make it faster? You may just need to learn the differences in what they call the modes and settings on the new over or it may not have the same mixed modes the Sharp had.

How long does it take to preheat? 400 degrees is 400 degrees unless the thermostat is off in the oven and it is not reaching temperature. You can get an inexpensive oven thermometer and verify that it is reaching the correct temps.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2011 Vista..Our Highpoint is junk...I am now trying to find somewhere to get it fixed..But am scared the new one won't work any better...Yesterday tried baking a pie..60 mins.later not totally done...Then tried biscuits .done but ugly... The manual is worthless.. We are considering an other brand that would fit.. Would love some input.
NanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have the Sharp convection/microwave oven in our 2009 Adventurer. The DW loves it, and I love the brownies she bakes.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Replacement Oven

I finally ordered a replacement oven for the Highpointe. Ordered a Franklin oven from PPL in Houston. Got the new one Friday. Excited to see it, I opened the box and walla it is the same oven as the Highpointe. Guess I'll install it and hope I'm not "in for the same old ride".
Old 11-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Nanaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobgray View Post
I finally ordered a replacement oven for the Highpointe. Ordered a Franklin oven from PPL in Houston. Got the new one Friday. Excited to see it, I opened the box and walla it is the same oven as the Highpointe. Guess I'll install it and hope I'm not "in for the same old ride".
Now have replaced the old high point. Got it today,4 1/2 min. To heat a cup of water can not hear it running. And I want some answers..does any one know how to contact the company?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We just purchased a 2014 holiday trailer with a High Pointe convection microwave. The only thing it does is when the door opens the table turns. As we cannot locate any issues of this kind online, is there a secret to get the thing powered up to be able to use it?
RolandaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Called High Pointe company,,Nice person answered my questions. So am trying all her suggestions..She says if that doesn't work will send me another...Just can't figure out why a 1000 watt microwave takes 4-5 min to heat water...sometimes life can be frustrating..
Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

So have you tried checking the actual voltage that is coming from the receptacle that the device is plugged in to? Additionally you may also want to check the actual amperage as well. Your 110/220 generator may have a faulty rectifier.
pcdude59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy High Pointe Microwave/Convection is not 1000 watt

Check the label on the front of the microwave where the model number etc is. Mine says the microwave is 900 watt. Have no idea why in this day and age where most microwaves are 1100 watts or more that theirs is only 900 watt. It does take 4-5 minutes to heat water.

Just had a new one installed in my 2014 Heartland Big Horn which was bought in August. The original one was at least 100 degrees cooler than stated ie set for 425 and oven thermometer read 325. Had to fight a little to convince warranty company that I needed a new one but finally got one. I had them test the convection settings before I left Camping World where it was installed. They used some kind of probe and said it read 435 when heated to 425. Well my oven thermometer does not even come close to that - it reads between 350 to 375 so I guess I will have to cook by trial and error. I did bake biscuits this morning using the time and temperature suggested in the very poorly written instruction manual and they came out ok.

Does anyone know exactly what the shelf is used for? I know the round rack on legs is used for the convection oven and the combination cooking but have no clue what to use the rack for except I do know the manual says its for microwave cooking.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The shelves are for multi tiered cooking so you can have more than one item in the microwave at the same time.

The Microwaves in RV's are generally 900 watts or lower so you can run them when on a 30 amp service without blowing the breaker on the power pole. A home rated Convection Microwave that requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit will only leave you 10 amps to run the AC, Lights, TV, Refriderator, Water Heater, etc when on a 30 amp service.

If you try to put a higher power unit in you could end up exceeding the safe load of the circuit which usually will be on a 15 amp breaker and power other items besides the Microwave.

HighPoint has always to me been an economy brand or contractors brand of entry level appliances that they put in appartments and low cost tract housing so they can as cheaply as possible advertise that appliences are included.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I used it today it seemed to work out ok will know tonight when I try my pie for dinner. It's a pumpkin pie used the high side of the little rack. 425 degrees for first 15 mns. then 50 mins at 325.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2140441.jpg
Views:	3936
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	59451   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2140442.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	59452  

okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Dinner done. It was alittle under done. So maybe another 10-15 minutes or higher temp not sure yet but it did work and tasted pretty good. Next will be trying some biscuits and gravy my best breakfast favorite. I will just up the temp and see what happens.
okiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

High Pointe Microwave Grill function

Does anyone have experience with the Grill function? Using the Grill 1 (Elements only) took over 20 minutes to reheat some ribs. The elements never did get red like an oven does. Is this normal?

Bob Wilcox
2016 View 24G towing a Smart Car
kaiweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilter489 View Post
Check the label on the front of the microwave where the model number etc is. Mine says the microwave is 900 watt. Have no idea why in this day and age where most microwaves are 1100 watts or more that theirs is only 900 watt. It does take 4-5 minutes to heat water.

Just had a new one installed in my 2014 Heartland Big Horn which was bought in August. The original one was at least 100 degrees cooler than stated ie set for 425 and oven thermometer read 325. Had to fight a little to convince warranty company that I needed a new one but finally got one. I had them test the convection settings before I left Camping World where it was installed. They used some kind of probe and said it read 435 when heated to 425. Well my oven thermometer does not even come close to that - it reads between 350 to 375 so I guess I will have to cook by trial and error. I did bake biscuits this morning using the time and temperature suggested in the very poorly written instruction manual and they came out ok.

Does anyone know exactly what the shelf is used for? I know the round rack on legs is used for the convection oven and the combination cooking but have no clue what to use the rack for except I do know the manual says its for microwave cooking.
I have no experience with this oven, as we are waiting the delivery of our RV. I have been doing some research and my understanding is that the rack must be used for convection cooking since the bottom of the oven gets hot. Those who have used these combo ovens may want to comment.
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:44 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I have detested the HighPointe from day one. Thought a convection/microwave would be great to have. I gave up on getting the convection to work, bought a large toaster oven instead. If I can ever find a replacement in the 1200w range I will get it but only if a known brand like GE or Sharp. We had a GE in our S&B, used some new technology, would love to get an over the range version with whatever the technology is but not available.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Smile I got a Frigidaire

I gave up on the Highpointe. We had a new one that came with the RV. It didn't work worth a darn in convection mode. Got them to replace it at no charge and it still didn't heat adequately in convection mode. Finally got Heartland to let me pick out my own microwave/convection oven. I had had a Frigidaire in my 2008 Montana and it worked pretty well so I got one to replace the Highpointe. It still only is 900 watts in microwave mode but I was told that is for safety reasons. The convection oven works pretty well. I have found that if I use the temps suggested in the use manual and the times it works pretty well most of the time. I am used to commercial convection ovens and this is no where the same efficiency. I would have preferred to get a GE Profile but that cost more than Heartland would allow. My suggestion is try another brand such as the Frigidaire or go first class and get the GE. I have now had the Frigidaire for almost 2 years and am satisfied.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

If I am dissatisfied with the High Pointe, I am going to remove it and use the space for storage. Would be a great place to store a Mini Breville Smart Oven Mini Smart Oven BOV450XL Toaster Oven | Breville
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I plan to replace my Highpointe with a Sharp or GE when I finally get too frustrated with it. If I am lucky it will break and I can go ahead with a new one. I would never buy another Highpointe or any unknown brand. There is nothing special about the microwave in the RV so why replace a lemon with a lemon.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote