Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HID headlights

Has anyone changed your headlights to the HID?

If so what does it entail to change to these headlights?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

HID conversions are illegal unless you also change the whole headlight configuration to meet DOT regulations. The main reason is that converting a halogen light to HID with HID kits can cause glare for other drivers. The halogen only has 1 "hot spot" and the reflectors are designed with that in mind. HID bulbs have 2 hots spots and will change the light beam pattern. No amount of re-aiming will make them legal but perhaps less a hindrance to other drivers.

Converting to HIDs may also make daytime running lights inoperative if they displayed through your low beams. There are work around way to this.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Converting to HIDs may also make daytime running lights inoperative if they displayed through your low beams. There are work around way to this.
Could you give me the work around?

My daytime running lights are through the low beams.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 11-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There was a recent thread on upgrading to HID headlights on IRV2. Type in HID in the search feature above, and you may find several threads on upgrading.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

This was my solution on a 2001 DSDP. It uses 96 F150 headlights and nothing off the shelf worked well enough to see more than 50'. This was a conversion HID Projector kit purchased from the retrofit store and DIY installed.

http://imageshack.us/a/img191/8232/wg5m.jpg
tcfamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Has anyone changed your headlights to the HID?

If so what does it entail to change to these headlights?

Thanks,

Ron
check this website.
there used to be a better site but it went belly up.

Xenon HID Kits - Your #1 source for Xenon HID Kits
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ron bites the bullet

Well, after doing the research and looking up links that were suggested I believe the job of converting my headlights to the HID is a little more than I want to tackle.

So I have found a place to do the conversion for me. A little pricy but I'm sure I'll be happier in the long run.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestion.

Ron
Old 11-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Well, after doing the research and looking up links that were suggested I believe the job of converting my headlights to the HID is a little more than I want to tackle.

So I have found a place to do the conversion for me. A little pricy but I'm sure I'll be happier in the long run.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestion.

Ron
Ron, I sure would like to see some before and after pictures if at all possible. I have tried to get information on doing the same on my Winnebago Journey and haven't yet found any answers. Also if you could post the name and phone # for the gentleman doing the work, I'm sure there are others with the same questions.

Thanks, Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sammie,

What did you have in mind for pictures?

Do you mean the light fixture it's self, or after they have been installed and turned on after dark?

My wife found this on Craigslist RV, MOTORHOME HID HEADLIGHT CONVERSIONS

They had to order extra parts to do my conversion. I won't get it done until Monday after the Holiday weekend.

Will keep you informed,

Ron
Old 11-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Ron, I thought if they used a whole new light fixture or if it was just new receptical and bulbs, it would be nice to see what the difference is.

Thanks, Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have just installed HID on my toad. I already had projector lenses on the car. It was fairly simple plug and play except that the light bulbs themselves are difficult to access. I used a Phillips kit which are more expensive but they come with all the relays included for DRL. Cadillac Xenon Lights Kit by Philips HID The Hid works well and the DRL's still come on as they are supposed to. My issue is that when you have a question, the company's I tried would not communicate with you.
I am now in the process of converting the coach. The first step was to find out what headlights were used on the rig and order them. https://www.tunersdepot.com/ (this was the only company out of 4 that would communicate thru email) I now have the replacement head lamps and will put them on when we get to Texas. Then I will order the hid kit.

I already have one car with HID and was able to compare the HID converted vehicle light pattern with the OEM. In my non scientific study I cannot tell the difference between the OEM beam pattern and the conversion. The difference in light between HID and Halogen is remarkable. Both cars have projector lenses not reflector.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Ron, I thought if they used a whole new light fixture or if it was just new receptical and bulbs, it would be nice to see what the difference is.

Thanks, Sammie
Sammie,

They had to order a complete new light fixture. I will let you know more when the job is completed next week.

Ron
Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

it would be nice if you could include some prices, including how much they charged to install.
jimaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

HID Update

The price for two new light fixtures installed, low beam $285.00. A little pricey but I don't think I could do the electrical part of the installation

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5640.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	51652

Name:	IMG_5645.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	51653
High beam

Name:	IMG_5647.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	51654
Low beam

I haven't driven at dark yet. I might have to realign or even install more lights

Ron
Old 12-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

The low beam picture doesn't show any "cutoff" for the upper part of the beam. This seems to indicate the headlight aim is way too high and will be shining directly into oncoming drivers eyes.

Quote:
...I haven't driven at dark yet. I might have to realign or even install more lights Ron
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
The low beam picture doesn't show any "cutoff" for the upper part of the beam. This seems to indicate the headlight aim is way too high and will be shining directly into oncoming drivers eyes.
George,

What do you mean by cut off?

I really need better pictures, these were hand held and slightly out of focus

Next time I'll try shooting from a tripod so I can get the exact, same position in each photo.

Ron
Old 12-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I agree George. Looking at each picture (low & hi) the original hi beam bulb shows the light beam splashing onto the roof line rake board with the main focus just below the fence cross pipe height. That seem about right for a hi beam application. The new low beam also shows the same area's illuminated, not as intense, but still lit up i.e. "no cut-off". That is where I think you'll be bothering approaching vehicles.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Update

Finally got on the road after dark with my new lights and WOW what a difference

I can now once again see the road that I have been missing for the last couple of years

I know this probably won't mean much to most people but I will try to explain. Friday night when we arrived at my Astronomy Club's viewing site for our New Moon Star Party, I could plainly see the numbers on the combination lock to the gate entering the club's site.

For the past several years and failing eyesight, I have been having trouble seeing the numbers on the lock when I arrive after dark. I tried using a flash light and magnifying glass, but could barely see the numbers. With these new HID lights, the numbers on the lock lite up like day light

I think I will change the high beams to HIDs. As far as I know, I don't think I bothered any of the oncoming cars but will get a better idea when I spend more time on the road after dark.

Ron
Old 01-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Got a pic with your lights on? Long time no hear. I just posted in the "Astronomy and Camping".
StarGazer-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I'm thinking about LED headlights. Your thoughts?
StarGazer-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights