Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2022, 06:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Help w Internet

Hello, I have a 25J and I need internet. What are my choices other than Winnegard. I have AT & T mobile cell service if that helps. Someone mentioned Jet pack but I don’t know if they knew what I was talking about
DAVESWIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I just set up a hotspot on my cell phone, then connect my laptop and Roku to that SSID. Even in campgrounds with WIFI that's often a better, faster option.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
I just set up a hotspot on my cell phone, then connect my laptop and Roku to that SSID. Even in campgrounds with WIFI that's often a better, faster option.
I believe my iPhone has a hotspot. Once I purchase Roku, what do I do from there and what should it cost. Please explain to me like I’m a 5th grader! Thanks
DAVESWIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The Roku is a device that plugs into an HDMI port on your TV, You then connect it to Wifi and stream digital TV service and channels.

https://www.roku.com/how-it-works

Apple, Amazon, Google and others have similar offerings, you'll have to compare features and decide which is the best option for you.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-st...view-2140.html

When you set up the hotspot on your iPhone it will let you make your own SSID or just use the one it already has. It will also provide a wifi password or allow you to set your own. Then you connect your laptop and/or streaming device to that SSID and log in with the password, and now you have internet service.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023

I hope this helps, there are others on here that have better writing skills than I, maybe some of them can chime in.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:02 PM   #5
RVCalypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVESWIMM View Post
I believe my iPhone has a hotspot. Once I purchase Roku, what do I do from there and what should it cost. Please explain to me like I’m a 5th grader! Thanks
If you go to YouTube and search RV Internet you will find numerous videos on the subject. I would probably focus on the ones that are 1 year old and newer. The mobile Internet Resource Center is the authority on the subject. As they say, a picture says a thousand words, and video is better than a picture.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have AT&T also and have the unlimited plan hotspot. So far so good.
If you have a smart TV you may have apps that you can connect to the hotspots and not need any other streaming device. Depends on what you want to stream. Newer Smart TV's have internet so you can log into Netflix, Amazone, YouTube, etc.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hotspots, Wi-Fi extenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVESWIMM View Post
Hello, I have a 25J and I need internet. What are my choices other than Winnegard. I have AT & T mobile cell service if that helps. Someone mentioned Jet pack but I don’t know if they knew what I was talking about
As others have noted, hotspotting a phone is a good way to get internet service for multiple devices in your RV. The main things to be aware of are data caps on your phone plan and lack of cell service in lots of places.

In our case, we have 2 cell lines via an MVNO. Our plan allows us to hotspot our phones and use up to 10 GB per line. We don't stream audio or video over these connections; if we did the 10 GB would be exhausted pretty quickly.

Also, cell service is often pretty spotty in rural areas, and even in some not-so-rural areas. We have been on AT&T, T-Mobile and currently Verizon and they have all been about the same from a coverage perspective.

Another option is a Wi-Fi extender. This allows you to connect to a Wi-Fi network (such as Walmart, Lowes, McDonalds, campground networks, etc.) and share the connection with multiple devices. You would probably need to be fairly close to the network router / access point and may not have a particularly fast connectiion, but it often works for basic internet.

If you do choose to utilize public Wi-Fi, you should use a VPN to secure the traffic from your devices.

We purchased an Alfa Networks Wi-Fi extender system and it works pretty well.