Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2019, 06:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HELP! Speakers buzz, electrical problem????

We are new here! Loving it so far.

We have a new-to-us 2005 Itasca Meridian P39K. Not sure what has happened, but our surround sound speakers (original DHS system) are buzzing all the time, whether the TV in on or off doesnt matter. Any idea what could be the reason?

FYI: we replaced the original dinasaur TV with a smart TV about 2 weeks ago, however the buzzing just started this weekend.

appreciate any help out there!!

Looking forward to our next Chapter!!
TheArthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

When you changed TVs, how did you hook up your new one's sound to the DHS surround system? Did you use the headphone jack, hardwire, or something else?

Two things to check... and yes, the buzz is a somewhat common issue. Make sure the audio output cables from the TV to the DHS wires are kept away from the AC power cord... buzzes/humms are often crosstalk caused by the audio wires picking up static from the AC power cord. You can tell if this is part of the problem by moving the audio wires around in the back... if the buzzing changes, it's picking up crosstalk.

Most importantly, on the original TV sound output there should have been a noise suppressor on the original wiring... looks like a small frozen OJ can with red/white RCA jack wires on each end. Did you make sure to transfer it over to the new system? It's a noise isolation filter (mine is a Pyramid NS-20, you can google it) and helps suppress the buzzing.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
When you changed TVs, how did you hook up your new one's sound to the DHS surround system? Did you use the headphone jack, hardwire, or something else?

Two things to check... and yes, the buzz is a somewhat common issue. Make sure the audio output cables from the TV to the DHS wires are kept away from the AC power cord... buzzes/humms are often crosstalk caused by the audio wires picking up static from the AC power cord. You can tell if this is part of the problem by moving the audio wires around in the back... if the buzzing changes, it's picking up crosstalk.

Most importantly, on the original TV sound output there should have been a noise suppressor on the original wiring... looks like a small frozen OJ can with red/white RCA jack wires on each end. Did you make sure to transfer it over to the new system? It's a noise isolation filter (mine is a Pyramid NS-20, you can google it) and helps suppress the buzzing.
Thanks so much, I'll get in there and see what I can find based on your suggestions. I'll get back to yah! Take care

Old 10-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Hi emiddleb!
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. There was this smallish/medium sized round cylander type thing connected internally to the power cord of the old tv, so not reusable. but I did some digging and found a noise suppressor for audio. Can you tell me by looking at my picture if this is a similar set up?
thanks,
Geni & Raymond
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audio noise.PNG
Views:	151
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	172348  

Old 10-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The suppressor wouldn't have been on the power cord, it would have been on the audio cord. In your original setup, Winnebago probably (like mine and others) soldered the audio output cables directly to the old TV's speakers. The cable out ran into the noise suppressor can, which then ran to the Surround system. You can get an identical one on Amazon (Pyramid NS-20) but the one you show should also work.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The suppressor wouldn't have been on the power cord, it would have been on the audio cord. In your original setup, Winnebago probably (like mine and others) soldered the audio output cables directly to the old TV's speakers. The cable out ran into the noise suppressor can, which then ran to the Surround system. You can get an identical one on Amazon (Pyramid NS-20) but the one you show should also work.
Will I need 2 Male to Male rca cables as well??

Old 10-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Not sure, it depends upon how you wired up your new TV. Almost all the noise suppressors come with male on one side, female on the other, with the assumption you are just inserting it inline. So right now, if your TV is using RCA red/white wires to connect to the Surround, you've probably got a M/F connection somewhere and that's where you would put the new can. If you've done something different, you may have to get a M/M or F/F bridge (very cheap) to make the connection.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Try the inverter.

In my 2005 Itasca Suncruiser, I have had that buzzing in the speakers. It turned out to be the 12V to 120V Inverter mounted in the front upper cabinet. When it was turned on the speakers emitted a buzz, when turned off the buzz stopped.
Kickenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm, our inverter is down in the basement with the electric stuff. Still thinking about putting a noise supressor on the audio connection. All in all it isn't that big of a deal....I think

Old 10-27-2019, 09:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Radio Auxillary switch

Turn off the radio auxiliary switch. This will turn off the surround sound.
Mikey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I'll have to try that, thanks!!

Old 10-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

In the 2005 39F and 2003 Sunflyer 39T the noise suppressor is on the AUDIO line going OUT from the TV and is right behind the TV. I believe the 39K will be the same. The suppressor has two RCA male plugs (red and white) that plug in to your TV's audio out jacks (RCA female and usually red and white). The other side of the suppressor has two RCA female jacks (also red and white) that the system audio cables plug in to. The suppressor itself is about 2" in diameter and 3-4" in length (as memory serves).
The thing is, in the 39T I found the buzz muted by using the suppressor but in the 39F I had to remove the suppressor to eliminate the buzz. So try both ways.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks BellOnWheels! our supressor was also directly wired to the back of the TV. Since we replaced our TV...will need to add a suppressor. But for the time being, its not an issue/annoyance when we have the TV on...we hardly notice it. I was initially worried that there may be some weird electrical problem. lol

Tags
electrical