Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Help on a 2002 Journey DL 39’

Hello all, I’ve got an electrical problem with a new to me Journey DL.
I’m new to the RV life, and purchased this 2002 about a year ago. I’ve redone the interior, and some mechanical/electrical items also.
I last weekend replaced the 4 batteries as I’m getting ready to go full time and that’s when the problem started.
Prior to replacement the coach had power when off shore power to both start the engine and handle the house loads. The batteries were old and had seen some harsh use, so I replaced them with equivalents. I took great care in disconnecting them, taking pictures and in installing the new batteries.
I verified the new batteries at 12.7 vdc and that connections were good.
Upon trying to start the engine I got nothing, even using the alternate start (MOM?) switch. I’ve checked the fuses in the front but maybe missed a few, I ran out of time so it may still be there, but obviously something that is probably obvious to someone with experience is not so much to me.
My question is, before I start going through the wiring hand over hand, is there some real obvious and frequent fuse or breaker that I should check/double-check? Maybe there is a circuit breaker somewhere that is hidden? I’m hoping it’s some inline fuse that I obviously blew somehow but it’s just hidden.
I’ve searched through this thread and haven’t seen anything jump out. I really appreciate any hints so that I can get this solved with minimum frustration, plus it’s really hot. I have checked voltage and continuity on the basic items but again ran out of time.
Looking forward to getting out on the road as I figure out where I am going to setup my formal residency, Nevada or Texas? If anyone has any opinions on that please add it in, as long as there’s no state income tax I’m flexible.
Tom
TomZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

2002 Journey DL

What sort of battery set up do you have? My DL36 had 5 batteries, 2 12v for the engine and 3 12v for the coach. Now I have 2 12v for the engine and 4 6v for the coach. The batteries are what you changed, the problem is most likely there.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply.
My battery setup is similar to yours, but I only have 2 house batteries. There is room for 3 but the original owner either removed or never had one of them. I plan on putting solar with lithium batteries in so for the near term it worked for me. I’ve checked all the batteries and each separately has 12.6-12.7 volts. I put them on a separate charger yesterday just for luck and will check on them later this evening. Given the sudden failure is why I think a fuse/breaker is the cause, although maybe a cable broke with the repeated pulling out of the battery trays (but nothing obvious and have good continuity from those to frame and positive down stream circuits)
I have the wiring diagrams but those don’t really cover physical locations, and some of those are already hard to get to or hidden.
I’ll check the batteries again and post the results, I always believe in my ability to be wrong so starting over is not a bad idea.
If you think of anything let me know. Also if you have any tips or things to check in general since you have basically the same coach I’d like to hear about it. Since I plan on going full time soon, just bought a toad and getting ready to hit it, I’ll take advice gladly. I don’t know what I don’t know and would rather not learn the hard way.
Tom
TomZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

First Lesson: Stuff goes wrong, deal with it. RV forums will usually help. Your idea of solar is, to me, a good way to go. I installed a Samsung residential refrigerator with 600 watts of solar and a dedicated 1000 watt PSW inverter. I'm using Sam's Club 6v batteries for now, will probably update to Trojans or Crowns before our trip to Alaska next summer. Lithium batteries have many advantages, but I'm still leery of the technology and the price. Check out the Handybob website for solar tips and tech.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Top of the head, I might look for a battery disconnect for use when stored. Something of this sort is needed on many newish units as there are full time "parasitic drains" which do run the batteries down if they are not disconnected. Some of these drains are things on the chassis like the radio which will often have a clock built in. One the coach some "suspect" items are the TV which may have full time power fed for things like sleep timers and lots of those little features we don't really need on an RV but still builtin for home use where using excess power is almost a tradition. All those little LED, do actually use power, so if you see them, the batteries are beginning to run down.
Quick point to check, as you have a meter is that the batteries are being charged when you do get the motor started. You might expect closer to 14.0 than 12 if the charge is working.
Finding info on the coach electrical system seems easy as Winebago does a great job of that. On the chassis side, not very easy for me to get good info as it is a much more closely guarded secret! Unfortunately, your problem is likely to be on the chassis side of things.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey