Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Help - No 120 volt to outlets

Hi - we are in Panama City state park and when I turned on the charger this morning we lost 120 volt to the outlets. Here is what I know or have done.

(2003 Winnebago journey 36GD)

Power at pedastal is good
Power panel inside RV shows power coming in
When I turn on the inverter I do get 120volt
12 volt circuits seem ok
I flipped all breakers at the food of the bed
I checked the 2 circuit breakers on th inverter

The charger/inverter has been acting squirrelly but every time I take it in they say it is fine and Good Sam won't pay for any service on it.

Anything else for me to check?

Also any good suggestions for mobile repair in Panama City would be appreciated!

Thanks
Ben
Kelm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well. you said the Inverter/Charger has been acting weird so I'd say that's your Suspect #1.. but here are some considerations...

You say it shows power coming in? Voltage please 110-120-130-105 The first two the Inverter should pass through, the last two perhaps not (The exact cut off varies brand to brand). Does it monitor frequency and/or waveform (mine does) I doubt those are out of line but.. Who knows.

Second.. I have had my Inverter show power in , and power out, but no power to outlets it powered.. Problem was a burned conneciton in the Inverter junction box. Wire nut failed.. I repaired, it will not fail again.

I have had screws in my Power Distribution panel loose (May RVers have a few screws loose) Tightening them solved several 120V issues (NOTE: UNPLUG FIRST).

And finally. Internal (Power transfer switch inside the inverter, one of two in your RV) failure and in some cases the EXTERNAL power transfer switch.

All of these can be suspect.. You need a volt meter and/or a test light to find out where the power stops.. NOTE 120V is dangerous if you do not take care.. Even 12 Volt can give you some nasty injuries..

Short story. The other day I was sitting here, suddenly there was a flash of light from behind me (Computer in other room) a CLUNK (transfer switch on my Inverter is current theory) and the Television I'm watching (On same circuit as the Computer) Re-started.... Computer .. Well the power supply is DEAD.. Looks like an insect fried himself.. New PS on order, computer in shop.. Hoping it returns before Monday because that's when it becomes... NEEDED. (it is a file server)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

is the fuse/breaker on your inverter/charger tripped?

do you have a GFCI outlet that has tripped?

also, why do have the inverter/charger off at night if you are on shore power?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the suggestions!! All seem to be in line with what I've checked.

Update on diags:

I did check the one GFI outlet I could find.

I started the generator and did not get 120 to the outlets. I was betting money I would. That is very strange.

I turn the charger off at night because when it would come on anything on 12 volt would go up and down. Lights go dim and bright, ceiling fan speeds up and down. Just ever so slightly but enough to make you crazy.

Going back out to push more buttons and bang on things😛I did call a local place and he thinks it's the charger/inverter.

To be continued....
Old 01-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Fixed!

Problem solved! Technician from Beach RV service in Panama City came out and found a melted wire nut on the Inverters ouput. He thinks that the nut just vibrated loose enough to make a bad connection . Highly recommend them if in need of service in this area.

Another learning experience and thanks to all the fast responses this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	149372  
Old 01-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Glad you found it, sorry you had to pay, As I said. "Been there, Fixed that".
Old 01-21-2017, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

P.S.... inverter/charger replaced

Well the first fix returned 110volt to my outlets but it did not fix the charging issue. So.... new Xantrex 458 2000 watt charger/inverter was ordered and installed. it took a bit of effort getting the old one out since the battery connections were on the inside not on the outside like the new ones have. Anyway all is well again except for tornado warnings here in Panama City beach 😛
Old 01-26-2017, 06:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

What a coincidence. My new to me coach has been testing me in many ways. Yesterday I lost all power to my outlets and after checking my incoming voltage and finding out I had power coming to the coach I looked at the inverter connections. Incoming power was fine. Output was non existent. Weren't had come loose. All connections were lousy so I redid them all. Problem solved.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well I had the same thing happen to me a while back on my 03 Journey 36GD and it ended up that the inverter/charger took a dump. Something internal that was repaired by an authorized Xantrex repair center in NJ where I live. I was in Florida for the winter at the time so a temporary fix was bypassing the inverter/charger and using a small battery charger to keep the 12vt up. Worked great for 2 mts all I had to do was locate the 110 line that came into the bottom of the inverter disconnect that and connect it to the 110 line going out of the inverter, did I mention I don't do wires. It's great to have friends in the RV industry to tell me what and how to do it.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi guys - good to hear of similar problems. Sometimes when something breaks I tend to think am I just cursed lol! My new Xantrex charger/inverter is doing so much better. I had thought about getting the old one repaired for a spare but decided to let that 30 beast pound go. It would never go back in after what I saw the tech have to go through to get it out.

Ben
Old 01-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!! All seem to be in line with what I've checked.

Update on diags:

I did check the one GFI outlet I could find.

I started the generator and did not get 120 to the outlets. I was betting money I would. That is very strange.

I turn the charger off at night because when it would come on anything on 12 volt would go up and down. Lights go dim and bright, ceiling fan speeds up and down. Just ever so slightly but enough to make you crazy.

Going back out to push more buttons and bang on things😛I did call a local place and he thinks it's the charger/inverter.

To be continued....
My money is on a loose neutral. (I know you are speaking of 12V problems too.) I suspect the ATS. Disconnect from the pedestal and make certain your generator can't start. Take off the ATS cover and tighten all of the terminals. If they are tight do the same thing in your service panel. Also, what is the condition of your batteries? Not only will a loose ground cause this condition on your 12V but a failing battery will also.

Please keep us posted as to what you discover.

Happy trails,
Rick Y