Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Heater Core Replacing

I have a 2002 journey I need to replace heater core I can't find the thread telling me how to remove front cap. any suggestions??
also where is a good place to buy a new heater core?
Thanks in advance Joe
joe5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Can't help with the front cap removal ; on hearing that I'm glad the gen set access door on my Newmar goes high enough to get to the housing.

I'm fairly confident that your dash HVAC unit is an Evans product , company name is in the plastic cover on the outside of the firewall.
If the end caps of your heater core are usable , any rad shop should be able to re-core it. But for new parts check this web site.

www.evanstempcon.com/serviceparts.php
Old 06-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe5165 View Post
I have a 2002 journey I need to replace heater core I can't find the thread telling me how to remove front cap. any suggestions??
Thanks in advance Joe
Are you saying your going to remove the front cap of your RV to replace the heater core????
Old 06-18-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I was able to move the cover enough to remove the core and have it rebuilt. I think there were two bolts and six screws holding the the cover on. The core is held in place by rubber pads around it. I had to remove the passenger side head light to gain access to to some of the screws. Wasn't easy but I know I saved a couple of hours at $100 per shop rate.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks in advance Joe
I replaced 2 heater cores. The latest was a new design and has lasted 7 plus years.

If memory serves me correct, the instructions were by "Batchief" or "Battchief". They were excellent and very detailed. I hope the spelling is correct.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I am looking at the threads on replacing the heater core and they have had to remove the cap. Do you think maybe I don't have to? I am still researching this and I think it is to tight not to remove the cap but I am not sure. thanks for any information you can help with. Joe
joe5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I am looking at the threads on replacing the heater core and they have had to remove the cap. Do you think maybe I don't have to? I am still researching this and I think it is to tight not to remove the cap but I am not sure. thanks for any information you can help with. Joe
If you have a 02 Journey (which you should add to your signature so all know what we are talking about) I cannot see how you can replace the heater corer without removing the front cap.

See if you can search Battchief's instructions.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Had 02 Journey and replaced heater core twice. Cannot be done without removing front clip. You can remove enough hardware to tilt it forward and rest it on something but taking it off entirely is much better. The new and improved cores come from Victory systems in TX. I ordered my second core from Lichtsinn motors in Forest City, Iowa.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I formerly owned a 2003 Chieftain and the shop that did my work had to remove the front cap. They called WGO and they were very helpful on how to go about it.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, heat