Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Heater Core Housing

I've been looking but haven't been able to find the info that I need.

I have a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain WKL36L (diesel on Freightliner chassis) We go back from yellowstone a little while ago and on the way home I started getting some strange AC problems. first the fan started to work only when on high, and then there really wasn't any cold or hot air coming out.

I finally started to look into it today and this is what I found. as you can see from the attached pictures that housing that holds the Heater Core as well as the A/C cooler had broken off the firewall and was just hanging there being supported by a hose.

not my main concern is that the plastic it broken and cracked along with missing all the little clip that is suppose to be holding it in place. I looked through all my manual and parts info but didn't come up with replacement part numbers.

Can anyone help me locate these items. I'll need both the back piece that mounts to the firewall along with the front part that the heater and AC core go in. I hope these can be sourced somewhere as I don't think they are repairable.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141014_151028.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	76533   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141014_151038.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	76534  

briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Is it an EVANS unit?
Evans Tempcon, Inc - Service Parts
Old 10-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Brian;

Sorry to read about your heat and A/C problem . My previous RV was a 2003 Chieftain and both my heater started leaking as well as the A/C coil. SCS Fridget was the manufacture and they went out of business. I purchased their last assembly. I am not sure about your rig. I have found a call to Lichtsinn Motors RV Parts Dept. with a model and serial number gets a quick response on available parts. Their tel # is 1-800-343-6255 and email is [email protected] Good luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I'll have to see if I can find some identifying information on the unit. Ill see if I have time later tonight. If I can't find replacements I'll have to get creative and see if I can fix and reinforce it with epoxy or something like that. I've only had the RV for a few months and I knew I had some other issues. This is something I would have never had guess would happen.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

briankstan, below is a link to the clips they may have other parts you can use.
Clip 022-0057 - SCS & VCS
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Here is the info that I got from Lichtsinn Motors this morning see quote below. I looks like I'm not going to be able to source a new one, I'll have to look around and see if I can find some info on RV salvage yards and see if I can find one that way. for now I was thinking of plastic welding (JB Weld or expoy) the cracks and broken pieces back together and then strapping it to the firewall to alleviate all the pressure that is on it from the weight of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by email

I just got off the phone with Winnebago to see if there is a replacement for the original (which is no longer available) and there isn’t…. sorry about that.

It is an Evaporator/Heater box… original part number on the assembly was 103930-32-000, it was made by SCS, their part number 090-00311…. Hope that helps….and it was for a freighliner chassis which you have so you would need to find around the same year and a freightliner chassis…..

David Straw
Lichtsinn Motors
Old 10-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Brainkstan: I replaced 2 heater cores. If nothing looks broken (such as the plastic that meets the firewall) it may be that the clips that hold the unit together have broke or fell off (see clips for sale in post #5). Originally clips held the unit together. If nothing is broken it may only require clips to put it back on firewall. Hope this is it as it will be a cheap fix. You will need about 12 clips total.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
Brainkstan: I replaced 2 heater cores. If nothing looks broken (such as the plastic that meets the firewall) it may be that the clips that hold the unit together have broke or fell off (see clips for sale in post #5). Originally clips held the unit together. If nothing is broken it may only require clips to put it back on firewall. Hope this is it as it will be a cheap fix. You will need about 12 clips total.
thanks for the post, the issues is that the plastic gave out, both the cover and the piece on the fire wall have cracks and missing pieces where t came apart. Most of the locations that the clips were to attach to have broken off the housing itself.

I have contacted several places and I'm still waiting to hear back from a few. On place seemed to think they could locate a unit for me and will get me costs if they can get one. I'd be willing to go new or used at this point but will glue everything back together if it's my only option.

for now I have everything back in place and held there with 2 straps in a crossing pattern. this will do until I can find the parts I need and I can always use the coach heating and AC if needed while driving.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I think i found a solution, I'm waiting to hear back from the salvage yard but it looks like I've found and identical item or at least a solution that will work. I'll report back on what I find out.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well the one from the salvage yard didn't pan out for me. It was the right one but when they went to remove it from the coach it basically shattered. It seems the plastic was in the same brittle condition that mine was.

After lots of looking and calling I managed to find one of the updated version that winnebago started using in 2003. It looks the right size so I'll see what if anything needs to be modified to get it installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431185372348.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	93802  
Old 05-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Update. The new assembly is installed. I didn't have to make any modification for it to fit. It bolted right in place using all the mounting holes that the old one used. I had some trouble removing one of the AC lines but eventually got it off. Had to go get a 7/8 flare nut wrench as I did dent have one that large. I still need to have the AC charged. I did take the motorhome for a drive and was getting plenty of heat.

The assembly that I purchased for anyone else looking is: Victory Climate Systems 090-00474 Non-charged Evaporator/Heater.

Tags
heater