Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am OK on 30 and 50 amp, but just tried 20 amp at my house and I am popping the GFI breaker. Nothing at all is plugged in inside the MH. No breakers are flipped. I just pop the GFI breaker inside the house.

I have read there is a service bulletin about this but can not find it! Can anybody help me locate it? I have read on here that it was a netrual to ground wiring issue.

Thanks!
Craig

Full-Timer
craigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am OK on 30 and 50 amp, but just tried 20 amp at my house and I am popping the GFI breaker. Nothing at all is plugged in inside the MH. No breakers are flipped. I just pop the GFI breaker inside the house.

I have read there is a service bulletin about this but can not find it! Can anybody help me locate it? I have read on here that it was a netrual to ground wiring issue.

Thanks!
Craig

Full-Timer
Old 12-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Craig, all I can tell you is that GFI breakers are very 'picky'. You are much better off trying to plug into a non-GFI breaker, hopefully @ 30A. Even if it's a non-GFI, it will probably work @ 20A to plug your coach into.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Craig,
I'm not electrician to tell you why but I know that when plugging a GFI equipped circuit(your moho) into a GFI source circuit the GFI source circuit will trip. NOthing is wrong with your coach or house. Just do a s
Don suggested and plug into a not GFI source.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Craig --- I have 03 and I had the same problem resulting from a wiring err from the factory. If you're comfortable with reading a wiring diagram it is easy to fix. You are correct, there is a neutral-to-ground wiring error. With all power off if you use an ohm-meter between you neutral-ground you will notice zero ohms, or a solid short, which causes the GFI to trip.

The basic problem is in the main control panel. Locate the wiring diagram for the transfer switch and the main control panel. On the left side of the diagram you will notice a triangle with the number "8" in it. It is near the note stating "all neutrals". This is NOTE-8. Also, look at the upper right corner and note the same triangle and "NOTE-8". This is near the picture with the three wires connected via a "wire nut". Read note 8, in the lower left of the diagram. THis diagram and note is the correct wiring, however, most likely the factory did not follow this.

Check the wiring associated with the three neutral wires on the upper right aand you may find those three white neutral wires on the upper right are actually incorrectly connected to the netural bar on the left side of the box. If so, that is wrong and causes your GFI to trip. As I recall, mine had an extra (4th wire) connecting the three neutrals to the neutral bus. I simply removed this extra wire.

If you're interested, this why the problem exists and why the GFI trips, and why the wire needs to be moved per the diagram and the note.

If you chase the neutral wires they actually go to the Freedom invertor output. THe freedom invertor switches between the invertor output and the transfer switch output (either external power or generator power). When no power is applied then the Freedom invertor output switch in default position connects the neutral and ground together. This is the state just prior to plugging in to external power. Neutral and ground should only be connected at the source, which in your home is at the main breaker box. When the invertor is the source, the neutral/ground are connected within the invertor. Once external power is applied and the Freedom invertor detects external power, the ground/neutral wires are switched from the invertor output to the external line. However, with the wire improperly connected, the GFI detects a ground/neutral fault and trips before the freedom can react and switch the connection. The fix is to move the neutral wires from the neutral bus and connnect them per the directions on the wiring diagram.

Sorry for the long msg and good luck. If you're not comfortable with this provide this to your electrician and have him confirm this.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

Roadking, Thanks for the explanation. Could you please post a link tothe drawing you refer to. Thanks
Old 12-11-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a copy of the service bulletin in pdf anyone would like a copy. Just send me a pm with you email address.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

KIX -- For the wiring diagram, go to the wiring diagram site listed on the first page (Winnebago Industries Electrical & Plumbing Diagrams & Parts Catalogs ) and download your wiring diagrams. Go to the index sectio and find the one that is for the 110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch. Yours will have a different diagram number than mine. Also, I don't have the service bulletin, GRTHARRIS offered to send it.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
KIX
Winnebago Master

Thanks Roadking and Grant.....I sent you a PM with my email address. Thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Roadking: excellent info! Thanks! I will work on that this week...after I move my brother into his new house tomorrow. ;-(

Grant: I sent you a PM with my email address...would love that service bulletin. I tried to find it on Winnebago's site, but could not...

Thanks to all!!!!
Craig

Full-Timer