Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-23-2005, 06:39 AM   #1

If any of you folks have or have had one of these Inverter/Chargers, please tell me your experiences with it. If it was defective and how it was handled and by who.

Thanks.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-23-2005, 06:39 AM   #2

If any of you folks have or have had one of these Inverter/Chargers, please tell me your experiences with it. If it was defective and how it was handled and by who.

Thanks.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-23-2005, 08:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had a 2500 dual output Freedom 458 inverter/charger that I installed in my old MH. Long & short of it was it went south without me after about 28 mos. It should have been covered by the 30 mo. warranty, but I couldn't find my receipt at the time. Sent it in for service(about $400 incl. shpg) & installed it in our next MH. The output board went S. & I inquired about buying a board, the sevice people in MI said that they couldn't sell boards as Xantrex wouldn't either, but they gave me a name & PH# & I called & explained the whole slew. They sent me a board that they said was returned but was not bad. It was, after a few mos (it was cold out & that thing is darned heavy) I called again & w/o coaxing they sent out a brand new one at no cost & its working fine now.
Would I buy another if I needed one?
Yessir, they seem to have their problems in hand now.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had a Freedom 2000 or 458 inverter/charger in our truck camper, now sold, and it worked great. It was connected to a Link 1000 monitor.

You should contact Xantrex for the closest authorized tech or service center, otherwise you have to pack it up and send it somewhere, if not within driving distance.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Tomcat
I had a Xantrex/Heart 1500 watt inverter (xantrex.com)in my 2003 Journey, and as I mentioned in a previous post, I had voltage at the male end of my external 50 amp power cord when the inverter was on--shocking. Talking with Heart they felt the unit wasn't grounded properly. Winnebago added a ground and the problem remained. I went to a local Heart tech and he determined the problem was in the Winnebago wiring. Winnebago covered 2 hours of Heart troubling shooting. The unit was then correctly rewired by Winnebago. All is well now.
Flyer
Old 01-25-2005, 08:15 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Are you having a problem with an existing inverter, thinking of a new install, or looking to replace or upgrade?
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:01 PM   #7

Well, if your a proud receipient of a Heart Freedom Inverter/Charger in your coach, as we were and you need help, fear no more, Xantrex bought Heart and came to my rescue, thanks to Nick. "At-A-Boy Nick". Many thanks.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-28-2005, 03:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Tomcat F15:

Would you care to pontificate a bit and explain who is Nick? A tech at Xantrex? We are considering adding another Freedom 458 to our new class A. There is only one authorized Xantrex tech close by and he is close to bailing out and retiring.

Boxing up and sending this unit to a service center is not at the top of my list.

Did Xantrex give you any alternatives?
Old 01-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #9

Scooter,

I was lucky to get to Nick, he's in customer service, but not readily available. It seemed that everytime I called, I would get a guy who sounded like he was in India at one of those Dell Customer Support Services. In any event, he was not vary helpful, so I tried another approach and was directed to Nick Klein.

If you have a Freedom their policy is to have you send it in for evaluation and then repair. Since Xantrex bought Heart things may have changed.

From what I have learned, Xantrex lost their contract with Winnebago, but would like to have it back. As far as I'm conserned, Xantrex has showed me they are customer oriented and want to help. That kind of attitude is very positive to me and should deserve consideration for the next contract.

First class Customer Service by a supplier should parimont and when the supplier performs in that manner, they should be rewarded.

Tomcat F15
Old 01-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Flyer,
I hope you don't mind, I PM'd you to ask you a question about your Journey.
Tagalong
Old 01-29-2005, 06:03 AM   #11

Tag,

No problem, try again and note who you are in the subject. I have my security set high and it doesn't let to much through. Give me your e-mail address so I can reply.

Tomcat F15
Old 02-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Tomcat F15:

I got an email from April Thompson of Xantrex customer service who talked to Nick and the deal is, within 30 months, the unit can be driven to a Xantrex service center or boxed up and sent. 12 months does not enter into the equation.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #13

One year relates to the Winnebago warranty, not Heart/Zantrex.

Tomcat F15