Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
RET
Winnebago Camper

I am a new member to this forum and a proud new owner of a pre-owned 2004Brave 34D. I purchased it from Crysal Valley RV north of Chicago and drove it back to Waterford Mi. about 325 mi.This is my first motorhome but I have had 5th wheels in the past.I love the visibility but the steering takes awhile to get used to. My only disappointment at this time is that this unit uses the old style sealed beam headlights that did not seem very bright. Does anyone else feel the same about this and is there an upgrade to improve night vision? Any help will be appreciated.
RET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
RET
Winnebago Camper

I am a new member to this forum and a proud new owner of a pre-owned 2004Brave 34D. I purchased it from Crysal Valley RV north of Chicago and drove it back to Waterford Mi. about 325 mi.This is my first motorhome but I have had 5th wheels in the past.I love the visibility but the steering takes awhile to get used to. My only disappointment at this time is that this unit uses the old style sealed beam headlights that did not seem very bright. Does anyone else feel the same about this and is there an upgrade to improve night vision? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I had the same complaint so I replaced the light bulbs with Philips Vision Plus bulbs that are still legal and add about 50% more light on the road. It did the trick for me.

Here is a link with some of their options http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=37
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
RET
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Harry. Looks like just what I need.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would DEARLY LOVE to have real sealed beam headlights as opposed to the "modern" fixtures I now have. You have so many more options it's not even funny.

This is what I would be looking at to replace your stock lamps with. They are as good as you can get.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">an upgrade to improve night vision? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is very common for motorhome drivers to see the headlights as poor. Most I know of who have had them checked have found theirs not properly aligned. When I finally found a truck service place that could properly check mine, they found they were aimed considerably high and to the right. You may still want to "upgrade" the bulbs or whatever, but you really need to be sure they are pointed the right direction first!!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I agree with your feeling on the head lights. I have an 04, Brave, 32V and sometimes wonder if the lights are even lite. The link to the Phillips lights is interesting.

I also installed 2 LED stop/tail lights in the read. (Advance Auto)These are lined up with the top detail stripe. Greatly increased the rear visability.

Easy wiring as you only have to connect to the existing at the rear of the round original taillight.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

RET,

You mentioned that the steering takes some time to get used to. Could you provide us with a little detail regarding this comment. There may be some members that can assist you in this regard. Welcome to the forum.

Jack
2004 Brave 34D
Old 12-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RET:
I am a new member to this forum and a proud new owner of a pre-owned 2004Brave 34D. I purchased it from Crysal Valley RV north of Chicago and drove it back to Waterford Mi. about 325 mi.This is my first motorhome but I have had 5th wheels in the past.I love the visibility but the steering takes awhile to get used to. My only disappointment at this time is that this unit uses the old style sealed beam headlights that did not seem very bright. Does anyone else feel the same about this and is there an upgrade to improve night vision? Any help will be appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First get the motorhome weighed and make sure that you are not overloaded in the back.

After you get it weighed and the loading within spec go to the manufacturer of your tires web sight and verify what tire pressure should be used for those axel weights. The tire inflation plackard on the door is only a ball park figure to get you started and is not optimal.

Check and make sure that if there are any air bags on the coach that they are not over or under inflated or in the case of front bags not leaking.

Get a front end alignment with the Motorhome loaded as you would when traveling and while there have the headlights aligned too.

Since you mentioned steering issues you could be overloaded in the back or unevenly loaded causing the front end to be high and light. This along with improperly inflated tires could be the cause of your headlights and the steering seeming a bit off.

If you headlight are aimed at the sky brighter bulbs will only light up the trees and irritate oncomming drivers.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
RET
Winnebago Camper

I have gotten it weighed and at this time there is nothing in it except a full tank of gasoline and propane. It weighs 17,600.The steering issue I referred to seems to be swaying on turns and curves and more play in the steering wheel than I am used to. There are no airbags front or rear. Tire are new Toyo 245x19.5 and tire pressure is 80psi rear and 65 psi front. Thanks everyone for your input. I have also posted a new entry regarding engine cover removal. I see from previous posts on this subject that poster never indicated that it was resolved.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RET:
I have gotten it weighed and at this time there is nothing in it except a full tank of gasoline and propane. It weighs 17,600.The steering issue I referred to seems to be swaying on turns and curves and more play in the steering wheel than I am used to. There are no airbags front or rear. Tire are new Toyo 245x19.5 and tire pressure is 80psi rear and 65 psi front. Thanks everyone for your input. I have also posted a new entry regarding engine cover removal. I see from previous posts on this subject that poster never indicated that it was resolved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are those the pressures reccomended by Toyo to support the weight that is actually on the front and rear axels at this time? When I checked Toyo's inflation chart on their web site (see: http://www.toyo.com/docs/tirebasics/rvcareanduse.asp# ), the minimum tire pressure listed for their 245x19.5 tires in RV use was 80 psi not 65 psi.

The 80 psi pressure you have on the rears seems to be to support a load of 13,660 lbs while the fronts at 65 psi (even though not listed on the charts) seem to be inflated for around a 5,500 lb load. What were the actual axel weights?

On the Ford chassis the max weights would be 7,000 lbs front and 13,500 lbs rear. That would be according to the brochure at: http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/20...ago/04-Brave-bro.pdf

Anyways get it loaded the way you would travel with it, get it weighed, check the tire charts and then inflate accordingly keeping the loading within the allowable axel weights for your chassis keeping the load balance foward of the rear axel so the front end won't be too light and give you steering problems. Then with it still loaded the way you will have it when you travel get a chassis and headlight alignment.

If the headlights seem too dull after this then consider a headlamp upgrade.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:41 AM   #12
RET
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Neil, I'll follow your advice.