Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Headlight frame falling out

On our 2004 Sightseer, the left outside headlight has come loose and is rattling around in the housing. I wired it back up to hold it in pretty well. I thing the frame was originally welded to the metal frame that attaches to the fiberglass body shell. I can't find any screw holes or evidence of rivets. How can this be replaced? Workhorse shop, Winnebago, Chevy dealer?? It doesn't look like a job I can tackle myself. Any others have this problem? Solutions?
Thanks for any help.
Regards,
John & Sue
john g43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by john g43 View Post
On our 2004 Sightseer, the left outside headlight has come loose and is rattling around in the housing. I wired it back up to hold it in pretty well. I thing the frame was originally welded to the metal frame that attaches to the fiberglass body shell. I can't find any screw holes or evidence of rivets. How can this be replaced? Workhorse shop, Winnebago, Chevy dealer?? It doesn't look like a job I can tackle myself. Any others have this problem? Solutions?
Thanks for any help.
Regards,
John & Sue
John & Sue,
You're not along here. Winne and Itasca "glued" many components on yours and every other coach of their making and, continues the practice today. There are stories of entire generator/hood doors, falling off due to the release of the glue agent. The back deck hoods have come loose, headlight mounting brackets, and many, many more.

Now, not seeing yours up close, I'd say that this is what happened. But, pictures would say a lot here if, you could get some and post them, it surely would help in our analysis. Lots of folks have taken the "re-glue" on themselves and, prepped the metal, and the fiberglass for a new application of glue.

What to use...Well, many on here have used JB Weld, some have used fiberglass resin, some have used a product called: Six 10. Here's a link to that particular epoxy. Apparently it's got some serious strength. But, the main ingredient to a good glue joint is, making sure that both sides of the glue joint are ultra - clean.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...hesive+655+610

But, if you don't think this is a project for you to handle, yep, an RV Body Repair shop near you will handle this job quite well. They do that sort of stuff all day long. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

John,
I have the Itasca Meridian that has continuous failing factory epoxy; hood, back engine cover, body braces etc. What worked for me was Mighty Putty (as seen on TV). Double the order and reinforce anything attached to the body. The Mighty Putty is easy to work in your hands and stays formed like a ball or crayon size so you can press it in place; dries as hard as fiberglass. I found fiberglass a mess to work with.
Good luck with the repair be patient and wear good gloves. Reading this forum over the years it is evident that Winnebago still uses the same inferior adhesive some 10 years after I bought my RV, (right along with the inferior paint/clear coats) sad!
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Gorilla Glue works great. Do not remove the old bonding just ruff it up as much as possible and put glue on and spray the surfaces with water and watch it grow. It will soak in deep in all surfaces like the TV ad.I carry a small bottle with me so when i find another one just glue it and forget it.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My 05 Itasca Hoorizon has likewise had many glue joints come loose. All the repairs are easy (Remove the headlight from the bracket) and that one is easy too. I have made all the repairs with JB Weld and none have ever come loose again. The trick is to clean both surfaces (The metal bracket and the old glue) with Lacquer thinner. Leave the old glue in place and with the JB Weld applied seat the bracket into the shape it left in the old glue. If possible put a clamp on it. Sometimes you have to prop it in place with a stick of some sort to apply pressure
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

GLUE?!?! -- Who'd'a'thunk it. However, I should have had a clue. The fiberglass engine access cover had come un-GLUEd from the frame. I glued that together with an adhesive called PN1 from Tractor Supply. Lots of clamps, and straps to hold it all together, but it has done good for 4 months so far. We're traveling just now, and will be home tomorrow so I can take my time taking enough stuff apart to get at the frame. They don't leave much space inside the fender well and splash guards to work.
I will try to get some pix and post them when I get after it.
Thanks for all the advice, I think I have tips about enough different glues that something will hold it.
Regards,
John
john g43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Another vote on Gorilla Glue. I've used it several times where the original bracket came unglued... rear engine cover, a side wheelwell trim, and a fog light bracket. Put a good amount on, and make sure it oozes through the holes in the brackets, clamp and leave to dry. Then when it expands a bit and dries it makes a nice tight bond. Have several that have held for 4 years now.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I've had different parts come loose on my 2007 sightseer. I use 3m panel adhesive. Have to get at body shop supply house. Uses special caulk gun. Not cheap but it will hold anything. It's the same adhesive body shops use to install automotive repair panels.

Tags
light