Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Head light switch

On my just purchased 05 Journey, there is the word pull and a symbol marked on the switch. Maybe other models have it too. What does this do?
I recently called Freightliner bout the daytime running lights and while I feel free to call them again, I thought I would give my friends on the forum a chance to reply. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I believe that's intended for fog lamps--I have the same thing on my Vectra. But since we have a separate Fog Lamp switch the integral one with the headlight switch isn't used.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

on mine it works the high beams
yellow dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Just checked the FCCC manual on my 07 Tour and it is for the fog lamps.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On my '07, it doesn't do anything. There was a thread on this a long time ago either here or another forum and I think somebody said that it is a generic switch made for a Ford (or some other known manufacturer), and yes, on that particular car, it works the fog lamps but since ours have a separate fog lamp switch, it's a dummy switch for us (earlier models of Journey and Meridians, at least).
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for your replies. I hope it is for the fog lights. I will check and if that doesn't work I'll call Freightliner...I see a blank space for a rocker switch marked "docking lights" I don't have them. Wonder how hard they are to install? Need to check and it may just mean a trip to Gaffney the next time service rolls around...Thanks again
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
Thanks for your replies. I hope it is for the fog lights. I will check and if that doesn't work I'll call Freightliner...I see a blank space for a rocker switch marked "docking lights" I don't have them. Wonder how hard they are to install? Need to check and it may just mean a trip to Gaffney the next time service rolls around...Thanks again

Oh, so you don't see a rocker switch marked "fog lamps?" Mine has both a fog lamp switch and a docking lamp switch.

Yeah, as I recall, the Meridians came with docking lamps standard and the Journeys did not. Had I purchased a Journey, I was thinking of retrofitting it with the docking lights. The dealer wanted too much to do it when I inquired about the cost so if I had bought a Journey, I figured I'd try to do it myself at some point. To install the stock application, you'd have to drill pretty big holes in the rear panel. What I didn't want to tackle is figuring out the wiring. But you guys who are good at it, I'm sure wouldn't have a problem.

However, finally purchasing a Meridian that does have the docking lights, I'm not sure if I'd want them anyway. I don't see them having that much of an advantage. They're not aimed to take full advantage to assist in backing when dark. Since they're rear mounted, for me, the only real assistance I can detect is when looking in the rear monitor ...and the illumination there isn't that much of a help to me. I'd rather see them mounted on the side like some of the higher end coaches. Although mine are aimed to the side and not directly backward, I thought it would be ok but as I say, I don't see that much advantage.

I guess you'd have to ask yourself how much backing you are really going to do in the dark or low-light conditions. I mean, how many of us back into a campsite after dark? ...yes, sometimes, but is it worth spending the money retrofitting the coach with docking lights when they don't do that much good anyway? The standard backup lamps seem to illuminate the area well enough for me. Yes, I like the docking lamps because I have them but would I personally spend the money retrofitting the coach if I didn't have them? No, I wouldn't.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I don't know, but I think there's a good chance that the wiring for the docking lights is already present, even if you don't have the lights. Since Winnebago labels every wire you should be able to match up a wire with the wiring diagrams to make sure whether you have the right ones.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I don't know, but I think there's a good chance that the wiring for the docking lights is already present, even if you don't have the lights. Since Winnebago labels every wire you should be able to match up a wire with the wiring diagrams to make sure whether you have the right ones.
Oh! ...I didn't think of that but that would make it pretty easy if the wiring for it is in one of the harnesses going back.

I have to backpedal a bit. I just went out and turned the docking lights on as it's getting dark and it does light up more of the sides than I first thought. As I said, some of us really don't have that much need for them if not arriving really late at a site.

So sure, Ichn, if the wiring is in place, it probably wouldn't be that much of a chore to retrofit.

However, if you want the factory stock light fixtures, I think you'll have to replace that entire rear panel because it is indented to accommodate the fixtures. If I recall correctly, the Journeys without docking lamps will have an absolute smooth panel. So it's just not a matter of cutting a big hole.