Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Have an amp. hour, elect. use quesation.

Preparing for a trip I was running the genny, and looked at the one system display panel in my Journey. It displayed 3amp. usage.
The only thing I had on was the refridgerator, a 4 door large refer. 2 door for freezer/2 door for fridge.
The other alarm devices, smoke/propane detectors etc that you cant turn off. thats it. no lights on nothing.
Does this sound about right?
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I think that is about what mine uses under those conditions an I have a smaller refrig.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Your converter was probably on, charging the house batteries.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The 3 amp sounds about right for idle conditions in the motorhome. Whenever you have 120 volts supplied to the rig, whether it's via shore power or the generator, there will be phantom power loads. The inverter/charger, TV's, VCR, Microwave, and other 120 volt devices will all draw some power.

You've already identified some of the 12 volt loads such as the propane detector and refridgerator that ultimately supplied with power through the battery charger which increases it's power draw.

I would also guess that the fridge was either on propane, or the heater element was not on at the time that you read the 3 amp draw. The electric heater element in the fridge will itself draw 3 amps, but that load will cycle on and off as the thermostat in the fridge calls for more cooling.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My Powerline Management System of my 04 Winnebago Journey at one time displayed the amount of amps that were being used. Now there is no display at all in the Amps window although the 50A light is on. Do I have to do something special to get Amps to display? Any comments will be helpful and appreciated
jim
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
My Powerline Management System of my 04 Winnebago Journey at one time displayed the amount of amps that were being used. Now there is no display at all in the Amps window although the 50A light is on. Do I have to do something special to get Amps to display? Any comments will be helpful and appreciated
jim

Jimmy, there is nothing wrong with your system. It only displays amps being used, when connected to a 30A or less, shorepower. When on 50A hookup, it does not diaplay use, since it doesn't need to do load-shedding.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
Preparing for a trip I was running the genny, and looked at the one system display panel in my Journey. It displayed 3amp. usage.
The only thing I had on was the refridgerator, a 4 door large refer. 2 door for freezer/2 door for fridge.
The other alarm devices, smoke/propane detectors etc that you cant turn off. thats it. no lights on nothing.
Does this sound about right?
Your refrigerator has two heaters for cooling on electric. Each heater when NEW uses 225 watts or about 1.9amps each. So, your refrigerator alone could be using the 3 amps or even a little more.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

thanks Capt Bill
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote