Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Haunted Radio

We have a 2003 Itasca Suncruiser. For the past month we have had issues with the external Jensen radio turning on and playing automatically. We do not know how to remedy this issue.

We power it off and when we go back out side the RV is a singing. This radio is independent to the dash radio.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
jtbentoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Had that problem with my 2004 Adventurer over the winter. Turned out it was a bad connection at the battery. Cleaned the terminals and the problem was gone.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Take a look at this old thread: Radio turns on by itself (old topic but new info)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Don't leave remote in radio compartment
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The memory wire is not connected to unswitched power. If you have been switching off the coach batteries, it is probably losing its memory and presets as well. When you re-energize the system it probably comes on automatically and forgets memorized stations and click probably says 12:00. Find the memory wire, usually red, and tie it to chassis battery , which should be on all the time. Now add a switch between the yellow wire and battery. Yellow goes to switched power.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Made a separate switch on 12 volt high(red) side. Works fine.
Lmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Had a similar issue with a newer travel trailer. The radio came on as an automatic weather alert. The storms were 100 miles away but it turned on anyway. Immediately put in a power switch to completely switch off the power. The manufacturers think we are all stupid and don't know about bad weather. If it's the middle of the night and a tornado is coming what am I going to do??? You can't outrun it and you don't want to drive into it. Say your prayers!!!!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:16 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Had that same problem with my old 2003 Horizon. Couldn't get the storage bay radio to work, one day looked at it hard, found that the previous owner had unplugged the power cable.

I hooked it back up, and found that it would turn itself on randomly. Seems to me at the time, I figured out the radio was resetting itself when the RV was powered off. I think (years ago) that I routed 12v power from a compartment light fixture, and the problem was solved.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #9
Peaceful Explorer

2003 Itasca Sunrise 36M same problem - haunted radio randomly turn on by itself. Wake up to loud static for no apparent reason. Disconnected the power as we don't use it.

Tags
radio