Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 11:46 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Yes you can. I'm using the generator or shorepower conversion to 15 amp service more than 30 so the long cord gets in the way. Not a lot of space in there.
Gene36542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
Had an RV buddy who had the surge protector hardwired in his coach....he had a surge one night at the pedestal ( something to do with a bad circuit breaker sticking) which fried his protector....he was lucky that no other damage was done to the coach. The only problem with the hardwired unit was the campground management moved him to another site, and he was stuck......he had to remove the hardwired protector and had to temporary wire the power cord back to original configuration for the night till he got a replacement unit.
With that in mind I decided to use the SSP-50X (w/lifetime warranty)portable plug-in to the pedestal type so as if I ever had the same situation, I would not have to deal with the time for the repair. I like the portable much better because I can use the portable protector to check if the pedestal wiring is good and correct for use ( don't want to plug my power cord to the pedestal to find out it's not correct).....checking prior to connecting the power cord to the surge protector is a must.
Some great points there. I was all but sold on the hardwired version - now I must reconsider.
JamesW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Perhaps I'm missing something... or his hardwired unit is different. In my progressive unit the surge protection is a separate entity if you will. If its fried... it will report it on the remote panel, but the unit remains serviceable will all polarity protections minus surge. The surge is user replaceable in the field. If I had a portable unit... assuming the polarity protection remains ok... I still need to send the entire unit in and await replacement.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Progresi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene36542 View Post
Yes you can. I'm using the generator or shorepower conversion to 15 amp service more than 30 so the long cord gets in the way. Not a lot of space in there.
Gene,
Yes, there is not a lot of room in there. When you put in the EMS, did you physically connect it to the RV, or is it just sitting loose? Also, where did you put your remote monitor? Seems the phone cord they give you could be snaked into the cabin somewhere....
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Installed Surge Suppressor

OK everyone, I was able to get the Progressive Industries 30W EMS unit successfully installed in the Navion. Very tight space to begin with, so my electrician and I determined we could take out the existing junction box that connects the shore power cable to the Cabin to free up room. Then we lowered the generator female power plug as low as we could (yes, we had to take off the cover, unscrew the box, and re attach it...which was a bit hard due to the small space). This left room above the female power plug for us to put the EMS in place. No cutting of the power cable was needed since the cables were already cut so they could be connected together in the junction box. Connecting to the EMS was very simple, and then we connected the box above the generator female plug and screwed it into the backing board. YEA!
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Sorry I missed your last post, but looks like you've done well! Congrats