Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #21
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
Thanks for the feed back. I was planning on running a Victron Battery monitor and a DC - DC charger. We carry a Yamaha 2000 inverter/generator and have a 200 watt Renogy solar suitcase. In addition we use a portable 500 watt solar generator to power the TV at night. Maybe the two Relion batteries will be the answer. We travel 5 months out of the year May - September and boondock a lot (25 nights per month.)
Congratulations on deciding to install a battery monitor. That is the very best investment you need for dry camping/boondocking.
With the battery monitor, you will be able to see at a glance the status of your batteries, the voltage of the battery, the charging voltage, etc, etc.

I think your thoughts of installing a pair of group 24 sized lithium batteries is an excellent idea. It seems like your battery power usage is not really high. Possibly as low as 25-30AH a day. With 150AH of total battery (about 100AH usable) your setup should work very well for you.

Once you install your battery monitor you will know for sure what your power usage is.

One really great benefit of having lithium, is that you don't need to charge the batteries to 100% full. Dry camping 25 out of 30 days a month, that becomes very, very important. Trying to get lead acid back to 100% at least once a week is a real pain in the behind when you use your batteries as much as you do.

About charging from the alternator:
-- Typically the alternator will not supply a voltage over above 14.0v-14.2v unless it is very cold outside. With lead acid batteries (engine starting battery) the charging voltage should rise with very cold temps. (freezing or way below).
-- Your battery monitor will tell you at a glance if your alternator is putting out more than 14.2V.
-- Keep in mind the wiring size between the alternator and the battery will most likely be small enough that even though the voltage at the alternator possibly could be above 14.2v, the voltage at the battery may be a lot less.

I have been using lithium batteries in my RV since Jan 2016. In 2018, I moved them to our new-to-us 2006 Journey which will charge the house batteries from the alternator. I pondered whether to just let the alternator charge or to install the Battle Born isolator. My final decision was to add a on/off switch to the wire going to the pick coil for the solenoid that connects the alternator to the house battery. I just leave the switch in the off position unless I want to charge from the alternator. We have 650watts of solar to charge our 400AH of lithium, so I very seldom (maybe twice in the last 2 years) used the alternator to charge house batteries. We use from about 100AH to 150AH a day in our daily lives in the RV.
__________________
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G
https://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #22
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 1,714
Al, I see a noticeable shift in alternator charging in discussions on forums and elsewhere. Seems a lot of folks are installing DC to DC chargers rather than isolators or switches. They don’t cost a lot more and are better for the alternator and the batteries.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #23
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Al, I see a noticeable shift in alternator charging in discussions on forums and elsewhere. Seems a lot of folks are installing DC to DC chargers rather than isolators or switches. They don’t cost a lot more and are better for the alternator and the batteries.
I agree, looking at the Victron DC to DC charger for $264 versus the Battle Born isolater/charger at $170, the Victron looks very inviting. Also no worries about the proper voltage at the battery. Although the on/off switch is only a few dollars.
__________________
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G
https://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #24
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,557
There was a question in another thread I was following (I think on IRV2) that raised the question as to how a DC to DC charger would interact with a boost solenoid. Could it handle the relatively high, reverse current flow or would additional circuitry be needed.
__________________
Bob C
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
W20 Chassis
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:00 AM   #25
Winnebago Master
 
jerichorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Full-timer/volunteer w/SOWERS
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Congratulations on deciding to install a battery monitor. That is the very best investment you need for dry camping/boondocking.
With the battery monitor, you will be able to see at a glance the status of your batteries, the voltage of the battery, the charging voltage, etc, etc.

I think your thoughts of installing a pair of group 24 sized lithium batteries is an excellent idea. It seems like your battery power usage is not really high. Possibly as low as 25-30AH a day. With 150AH of total battery (about 100AH usable) your setup should work very well for you.

Once you install your battery monitor you will know for sure what your power usage is.

One really great benefit of having lithium, is that you don't need to charge the batteries to 100% full. Dry camping 25 out of 30 days a month, that becomes very, very important. Trying to get lead acid back to 100% at least once a week is a real pain in the behind when you use your batteries as much as you do.

About charging from the alternator:
-- Typically the alternator will not supply a voltage over above 14.0v-14.2v unless it is very cold outside. With lead acid batteries (engine starting battery) the charging voltage should rise with very cold temps. (freezing or way below).
-- Your battery monitor will tell you at a glance if your alternator is putting out more than 14.2V.
-- Keep in mind the wiring size between the alternator and the battery will most likely be small enough that even though the voltage at the alternator possibly could be above 14.2v, the voltage at the battery may be a lot less.

I have been using lithium batteries in my RV since Jan 2016. In 2018, I moved them to our new-to-us 2006 Journey which will charge the house batteries from the alternator. I pondered whether to just let the alternator charge or to install the Battle Born isolator. My final decision was to add a on/off switch to the wire going to the pick coil for the solenoid that connects the alternator to the house battery. I just leave the switch in the off position unless I want to charge from the alternator. We have 650watts of solar to charge our 400AH of lithium, so I very seldom (maybe twice in the last 2 years) used the alternator to charge house batteries. We use from about 100AH to 150AH a day in our daily lives in the RV.
Al, I thought the battery BMS would limit charging once satisfied. I am planning a Lifepo4 Nissan Leaf crash pack upgrade. I see no problem, because of the BMS protection, of doing a plug & play. What am I missing in my thoughts about this type of battery?
Rick
__________________
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson (RIP), 2011 Meridian 40U, FL XCL, ISL 380HP/DEF, Al 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox TruCenter & tow equip.,EEZTire TPMS.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #26
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 1,714
Most BMS protect against OVERCHARGING. They are not chargers, or charge controllers or smart chargers. That's still up to you to provide with your other charging devices.

Some prevent over temp protection and even fewer provent under temp charging protection.

You keep calling the Leaf cells "Lifepo4" do you mean they are LiPo4 batteries? Or are "Lifepo4" batteries a thing I've not heard of.

Also, since the cells you plan on getting are 8v cells I still fail to see how you plan to operate them in a 12v system. You could put three in series for 24v and then use a 24v to 12v converter or even a 24v inverter. I know you said you'd simply just turn off charging when they reach a compatible voltage. I'm no expert but I still don't see 8v battery packs working as you've described. At 24v, no problem, you'd have minimal hassle making that work.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:20 AM   #27
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Al, I thought the battery BMS would limit charging once satisfied. I am planning a Lifepo4 Nissan Leaf crash pack upgrade. I see no problem, because of the BMS protection, of doing a plug & play. What am I missing in my thoughts about this type of battery?
Rick
As far as using a battery from an electric car, I am of no help. What I have read about is that these work very well for those well experienced in designing and setting up DIY systems. Also I wonder if the Nissan battery has a built in BMS, or does it depend on an external BMS?
As CreativePart wrote, the BMS is an over charge and excessive discharge protection device. It is designed for protection of the battery. I believe the BMS if used consistently to limit charging discharging it would over stress the battery. Kind of like always taking your auto/truck engine to the max RPMS as you drive. That is, in first gear going to the max before shifting into second gear and so on. Yes you could do that but I wouldn't expect my engine to last as long that way.
Another consideration is: Some BMS require manual intervention to begin supplying power again or being charged. That means you loose all RV battery power until reset.
__________________
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G
https://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #28
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,557
Here's a link to a huge bus/RV install using Nissan Leaf batteries:

RV Lithium Battery | Nissan Leaf modules in an RV Lithium Battery Beginning from this Morning

There are eight videos, Part 1 - Part 7.5. Part 1 is embedded in the above. If the videos don't daisy chain, here's a link to his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-x...4WbU5cg/videos
__________________
Bob C
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
W20 Chassis
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #29
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Here's a link to a huge bus/RV install using Nissan Leaf batteries:
I've been watching these videos for this past year or so. I believe he created a 48v system out of the Leaf batteries. And his solar is HUGE and on articulated supports that are motorized and extend out from the sides of his bus a couple of feet when extended.

He actually installed a small house window A/C unit in the compartment that houses his battery bank to control the heat of the batteries.

He engineered his system to run the whole bus on battery power - including a large home mini-split A/C unit in another basement compartment.

Here's a link to the specific Leaf battery videos:

__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #30
Winnebago Master
 
jerichorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Full-timer/volunteer w/SOWERS
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
As far as using a battery from an electric car, I am of no help. What I have read about is that these work very well for those well experienced in designing and setting up DIY systems. Also I wonder if the Nissan battery has a built in BMS, or does it depend on an external BMS?
As CreativePart wrote, the BMS is an over charge and excessive discharge protection device. It is designed for protection of the battery. I believe the BMS if used consistently to limit charging discharging it would over stress the battery. Kind of like always taking your auto/truck engine to the max RPMS as you drive. That is, in first gear going to the max before shifting into second gear and so on. Yes you could do that but I wouldn't expect my engine to last as long that way.
Another consideration is: Some BMS require manual intervention to begin supplying power again or being charged. That means you loose all RV battery power until reset.
No BMS in packs. Since I posted I have found out a few things. The packs are fairly stable in a wide range of temperatures. (I try hard to stay out freezing temps.) The BMS's I am looking at seem to be self resetting when the charger voltage is present. My inverter will protect the battery bank from going to low critical. So the BMS should never disconnect. The high charge voltage is well below the pack & BMS cut-off. Of course the battery is what would have to reach the extremes that the BMS is supposed to prevent.

I have a call into the ebay supplier of the Leaf G2 packs. I'll let you all know what he says. But I am feeling more and more confident that I can do this with satisfying success to meet my needs. I am not going with solar and I don't do too much extended boon docking. I'll post more later.
Rick
__________________
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson (RIP), 2011 Meridian 40U, FL XCL, ISL 380HP/DEF, Al 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox TruCenter & tow equip.,EEZTire TPMS.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batteries


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting to Lithium house Batteries jcurtisis Winnebago Class C Motorhomes 41 02-02-2020 01:54 PM
Lithium Ion batteries DariusB Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 21 01-14-2019 05:50 PM
For Sale: 2014 Winnebago View 24M - Seattle, WA MJMNW RV's and Tow Vehicles For Sale & Wanted 0 08-20-2018 04:17 PM
View/Navion upgrade to Lithium Batteries and adding solar panels RonR Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 13 11-10-2017 04:21 PM
View 24M for full timing?? Jim&Cindy Winnebago Class C Motorhomes 13 03-11-2016 02:28 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×