Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ground location

Ok I have a problem. I have a 2005 Itasca 36r Horizon MH. I have been putting in a solar system and have come up with a problem. I need to run a earth ground or chassis ground from the controller. The controller is mounted in the compartment next to the battery banks. I have not been able to find a ground location. Almost all of the wires coming off the batteries go through the wall and disappear under the bed in to the engine compartment. So I need to find a location to ground the controller. If anyone has any ideas where there is a ground location I would appreciate know where it is. Thanks for any help.

Neil
for36rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

The negative side of the batteries go to chassis ground if they are 12 volt batteries. Just tie it to that. You could also drill a hole put in a bolt and create your own chassis ground
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If the DP are the same as mine the grounds are on the frame behind the battery bank. 3/8" bolts and nuts. I have 4 total. Hard 2 get to with out sockets and extensions and a universal. I just had to remove all of mine and clean and replace.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Take a look at the top of the forward wall of the electric compartment on the driver's side of the coach. I believe that you'll find a ground bus next to (inboard of) the transfer switch. See page 2 of the Chassis Wiring Installation for your coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

On my Journey, there was a major chassis ground point just above the exterior electrical compartment where the wiring goes up and into the rear bedroom. I used that point to ground my solar controller and it is fine. Access to this point was from the exterior compartment.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
The negative side of the batteries go to chassis ground if they are 12 volt batteries. Just tie it to that. You could also drill a hole put in a bolt and create your own chassis ground
X2 on above. I drilled a small hole in the compartment frame and used a self tapping screw. Keeps it close to the controller using only about a foot of wire. The controller ground wire is only 10ga (I may have used 8ga) and and has been secure and holding for almost 8 years.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

If there is access to frame of unit you can use that
eightydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by for36rd View Post
Ok I have a problem. I have a 2005 Itasca 36r Horizon MH. I have been putting in a solar system and have come up with a problem. I need to run a earth ground or chassis ground from the controller. The controller is mounted in the compartment next to the battery banks. I have not been able to find a ground location. Almost all of the wires coming off the batteries go through the wall and disappear under the bed in to the engine compartment. So I need to find a location to ground the controller. If anyone has any ideas where there is a ground location I would appreciate know where it is. Thanks for any help.

Neil
Neil,
I'm curious, we have a sister ship to yours only, a year older. Ours is the '04 Horizon "GD". I briefly looked at the brochure of the '05 "RD" model and could not tell from any portion of the brochure, just how your compartment layout is. Our batteries are on the passengers side, just be the duals. It also incorporates the water heater too. But, if your battery compartment is either just like ours or, very similar, then yes, the main chassis/house battery grounds are on the frame, bolted to a tab, that's welded to the frame. You'll have to lay under there to see them.

As has been stated, due to their location, they have to be removed every so often and cleaned. I've had to do it on ours once or twice in the time we've owned it. But, the point is, that's where the main grounds are located. Frame is frame. That is, if there's sub frames or, battery compartment framing that's welded to the main frame, you can do what I did and simply attach grounds to that battery framing.

You see, when we purchased our coach, over two years ago, the battery compartment which, of course houses both chassis and house batteries, looked like some 9 year old had wired it. There were parasitic wires all over those batteries that looked like a Dallas freeway system. So, I removed ALL of the parasitic wires, both positive and negative and re-located them to exterior grounds and insulated positive lug posts which, I installed. Now, all that's on those batteries, are the main cables.

My point, you can do the same with the ground on your Solar controller. You can simply put it on a lug, or just install a good electrical "eye" on it and bolt it to the battery framing or, if you like, run it back to the main frame attachment area. If I recall, there's spare area with holes in it, that nothing's attached to, right next to where the main battery ground cables are installed. Just some ideas here partner. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat