Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2020, 01:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Green Wire under Sink

When I removed my drawers in the kitchen to see what was behind them, I found a green wire that was not attached to anything at one end. The wire looked similar to a CAT 5 cord ( forgot to take a picture). Any idea what it might be for? Sunstar 27P.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
Site Team

What makes you think it’s Cat 5 cabling? Does the wire have an Ethernet connector on it or is it simply cut off with multiple (6?) small different colored wires showing?
Old 12-03-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If it is part of the OEM and standard wiring it may have a code printed on the side to ID from the Winnebago wiring chart. However when I go to any of the wiring it seems to have been down for several days and I can't access any of the info.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It has a connector on the end.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
It has a connector on the end.
So, what does the connector look like? A photo would help immensely. An ethernet (Cat-5 or other generation) connector looks like this (similar to, but larger than a phone connector):

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Without knowing where and which cabinet drawer we are kind of left guessing but this is one place where there may be wiring for options not on your specific RV?????
Having the serial number to sort out if it is new year or later build can tie it down to your specific RV but this is general guesswork idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	176071  
Old 12-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Pictures

Here are some pictures. Not under the stove/oven. Behind the drawers under the sink.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19A3857E-3D64-4E09-BA9E-A467354D0494.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	176072   Click image for larger version

Name:	0E0F488D-081B-486B-A188-F133F0E1FAA6.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	176073  

Name:	CF82B82E-C6AA-4DC5-A48B-56341EE5FE8B.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	176074  
Old 12-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
Site Team

That's definitely an Ethernet cable. Richard's schematic identifies it correctly as a cable from a HDMI/Cat 6 TV interface. If the RV is new it seems the receiver is missing and if that's the case you need to either contact the dealer or Winnebago Customer Service.

I don't know how the 2020 Sightseer is configured for TV sharing - on my 2017 Adventurer I have a box called a HDMI Matrix. This box takes HDMI inputs from SAT receivers, DVD players, TV Streamers, etc and distributes the signal via Cat 6 Ethernet cable (like the one in your photos) to near each TV. Then adjacent to the TV location is a Network Balun "receiver" that the CAT 6 is plugged into and this changes the output from the Ethernet cable back to HDMI. Then the nearby TV is connected to the Balun receiver via it's HDMI input.

Does any of this ring a bell in your Sightseer? What does your Operators Manual say?
Old 12-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #9
Site Team

There is very little info in the Operators Manual for your model. I did find one section that shows an HDMI output "in a cabinet near your TV" but no real info about where you access an input for that or anything about Cat 6 cabling.

If you dealer is knowledgeable I'd ask them but I'd also be prepared for them to know absolutely nothing about this system or wire. In that case I'd suggest calling WBGO directly. It may take awhile to find someone with knowledge even at WBGO, but someone will know. Also be on the lookout for other Sunstar owners. They might know the answer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 11.45.14 AM.png
Views:	53
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	176075  
Old 12-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

There are three different build dates for that year and model and that means there have been changes to things and options for one build don't necessarily come with the same wiring harness changed as the items are added or changed, so it is not unusual to find wiring plugs which have no use on that specific RV. To best sort out what features and what options to expect to find, you will need to check the 7th digit of your serial number as that tell what build you have and then look at the list of options that should be in the big bag of Winnebago paperwork. Part of the difference can come in whether it is built to the Canadian standards or US, so what is bought one place may vary quite a lot from others. Look for items like 37 K, 204 L, etc. with a description of what that particular option provides. Most likely you have just found a wiring harness that is not needed on your unit, so I favor just tying them back, to avoid the rattle potential.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I do have this HDMI connection located up by the TV above a little shelf. Have not used it yet and unknown if it is even hooked up (assume it is). Have only had the rig since August and have been on three trips before winterizing it. I am going to assume this connection is for some sort of satellite connection as indicated by you guys and since the TVs work as they are supposed to, I am just going to tie it off and keep its location in the back of my mind. Will probably contact Winnebago CS to see if they can shed any light on it .
Old 12-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ethernet connection

It very well could be the ethernet connector for an outside TV which your rig may or may not have. I am sure they use the same or very similar harnesses for most of the units and that would be the area where the connection would probably go thru for an outside Television connection. Just a thought.
shaneotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #13

Just guessing: Could this be pre-wired for an inverter display upgrade? Or maybe a LiFeO4 battery monitor option? Or solar display? ...Where the display is mounted in the hall just to the left of the kitchen drawers?

I'm thinking this cable might be used for a display not for internet, but as I said this is just a wild guess.

...Where does the other end of the green cable lead?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I did some further searching, and above my coach access door is a small door that drops down for access to a satellite box, which I don’t have. I removed the access panels and found the same green CAT 6 cord. My assumption is that the one under the kitchen cabinets is for this system.