Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Getting rid of spare batteries

What is the best way to get rid of house batteries? Especially good ones that still have a lot of useful life left in them?

We just upgraded the batteries in our RV to BB Lithiums and the installer returned the 2 existing AGMs to me. They are only 9 months old and so should have lots of life left in them but I have no idea how to get rid of them. I don't even know where I could throw them out if that is what I wanted to do.

Are they worth anything? I assume no one really wants used house batteries, even lightly used AGMs, so I assume Craig's List is not worth the trouble. Are there any shops that generally want to take (or, better, buy) used 65AH AGMs?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
Site Team

Do you have a facebook account. Throw them on marketplace. You tend to get a bit better “clientele” there than with Craigslist.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The installer didn't want/offer to buy them?

Worst case, most auto parts stores will give you a $10 gift card in exchange for them.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I can't imagine the batteries would have any value because a buyer would have no assurance they were any good. Don't all states have core charges for batteries? If so I think you can return them no questions asked and get the money, or if not, our state has some battery places that pay for used batteries. It's only $5 or $10.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:30 AM   #5
Site Team

I’d suggest you think about keeping them. The BBs can last ten years. If you decide to to sell your Fuse in a couple of years you may want to take the BBs out to reuse them in a new RV. Those OEM batteries would come in handy to be put back in the Fuse.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’d suggest you think about keeping them. The BBs can last ten years. If you decide to to sell your Fuse in a couple of years you may want to take the BBs out to reuse them in a new RV. Those OEM batteries would come in handy to be put back in the Fuse.

I made that exact point to the installer when he finished his work and his response was that a new RV would also come with batteries and I could probably just put those in the Fuse if I wanted to swap them out.

When I discussed just keeping them he pointed out that we live in Arizona and a summer in the garage, where the temperatures reach 110, would probably not do them any good. Understatement of the year.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
The installer didn't want/offer to buy them?
No. He did not. I guess he has no use for them either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Worst case, most auto parts stores will give you a $10 gift card in exchange for them.
Yes. That might be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Put them on Craigslist or whatever your favorite free to use buy/sell webpage is at a reasonable price and someone will buy them. I sold a used deep cycle AGM to someone that wanted it for a low draw bass boat/trolling motor. $50 and I'd had it for several years. It was still a good battery. Never say never.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

If you have a amateur radio club near you they might be interested in them .
xlthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Flooded battery (lead) core charge in Ohio is $18 so that would be their minimum value. No idea on AGM. Scrap yard will buy for the value of the lead.

I agree that Facebook Market place can do better than Craiglist.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

If we weren't 2,000 miles away I'd take them.

AGMs generally last a long time -- 9 months is nothing.

Something to keep in mind is that AGMs can be stored anywhere. They are spill-proof. If you want to keep them you could tuck them in a corner somewhere in the house and put a Battery Tender on them.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #12
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Old batteries have a scrap metal value of around $10 or so, depending on where you are located. If they have decent life left in them, you can sell them for $10-20 on craigslist or other online marketplace. Currently scrap metal values are bottomed out, but that will change after we recover from this virus thing.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

When I swapped out my flooded batteries for AGM's, I sold the flooded batteries on Facebook Marketplace for half of what they cost new.

The guy who bought them checked the voltage of the batteries, was happy with what he saw, and we had a deal.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Metal recyclers in our area for will pay by the pound for old batteries. I suspect those batteries are pretty heavy and will bring from $10 to $15 a piece.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Put them on Craigslist or whatever your favorite free to use buy/sell webpage is at a reasonable price and someone will buy them. I sold a used deep cycle AGM to someone that wanted it for a low draw bass boat/trolling motor. $50 and I'd had it for several years. It was still a good battery. Never say never.
The batteries have an intrinsic core value as a trade in. If you call around you can find out what that is, and then sell them for that or a bit above. I did this and they sold right away (in my case it was a guy who bought a used camper trailer and just needed “some batteries” to go camping). It is good for them as they will get the trade in value whenever they replace them.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
What is the best way to get rid of house batteries? Especially good ones that still have a lot of useful life left in them?

We just upgraded the batteries in our RV to BB Lithiums and the installer returned the 2 existing AGMs to me. They are only 9 months old and so should have lots of life left in them but I have no idea how to get rid of them. I don't even know where I could throw them out if that is what I wanted to do.

Are they worth anything? I assume no one really wants used house batteries, even lightly used AGMs, so I assume Craig's List is not worth the trouble. Are there any shops that generally want to take (or, better, buy) used 65AH AGMs?

Try cragslist. Someone local might want them.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Try cragslist. Someone local might want them.
I published an ad for them on the local neighborhood forum but no one seems to have any interest. Craigslist seems like the next logical step.

Tags
batteries