Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Getting no power from batteries

Sitting here scratching my head with what hopefully isn't a major power issue.

Almost new 2022 Micro Minnie 2225RL. Started a five night trip earlier this week and camper was running just fine on battery power. After sitting in the campground for 5 days on 30 amp power, found I was getting no power from the batteries when I disconnected this morning. Checked all the circuit breakers and fusses, insured solar was charging correctly and made sure the batteries were charged to 100%. Couple hours on the road back home and checked everything again after connecting to 110 house power. Still nothing coming from the batteries to the camper.

Any ideas? Anyone else had a similar problem? I've had the camper since last Nov and just got back a month ago with two months plus travel up and down the east coast from Maine to Florida. None of these problems the entire time.

With dreadfully long waits to get into the service dealer, hoping someone's got an idea for a quick fix. Hitting the road again in just over a week and would like to get this solved.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dick P
Orrington, Maine
ranger1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not a trailer guy and up on their issues but acouple questions may help.

One is how you are checking the batteries as being fully charged. Is that a voltage reading and is it done when the batteries have not beenconnected to any charging like solar for a few hours? Or is it a voltage test taken when their is charge coming from solar or other?
If there is some form of charging or just disconnected, you will often be misled and think you are fully charged but it is what we call "surface charge" and will soon be gone when the battery becomes stable again.

One of theway this can bite us is that we may have put the meter on the battery clampand tested what is coming from the charge but a dirty/corroded clamp may not be passing it on the the battery! Always good practice to check the readings,both on the clamp and the post itself to help spot a problem building but we need to wait severalhours after the charging is taken off to get a better idea of what the battery actually is holding.

But I also have seen several trailer owners who have hadtrouble with a tiny popout breaker in a box under the front of the trailer frame. It looks like a standard metal electrical box like used for connections but inside and often hidden by a bunch of wires is a tiny little resettable breaker which cuts power to most everything in the trailer.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Appreciate the reply Richard. Checked both batteries with my tester and they were registering over 6 volts. So no issue there. And I did find the box under the front of the trailer but couldn't see a breaker of any kind.

Again, thanks for trying.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
Site Team

There is a box under the A-Frame with a resetable push button fuse. I don't have any experience with this but see it mentioned here a great many times. I have seen others say the button is hard to find, that it's hard to reset and others say it's a simple task that fixes everything.

Here's a link to a prior thread on the topic and a photo of the box and fuse:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3896524
Old 07-01-2022, 03:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Did you somewhat turn the battery disconnect knob to off?

On my 2100BH the tongue jack and slide still work when the battery disconnect is turned to off, but nothing else works.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

"Checked both batteries with my tester and they were registering over 6 volts."

What kind of "tester"? A volt meter doesn't tell us very much unless the battery is under a load. If in doubt take the battery(s) to an auto parts store and ask them to test for you.

Assuming your batteries are properly charged then clearly they are turned off somewhere. If it's not in your manual you may need to visually follow the cable to see where it is turned off. Might not be possible if it runs inside a wall.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

From page 39 of the 2015 (it's all I could find) Winnebago Towables User Manual:

"12-VOLT CIRCUIT BREAKER & RESET

In all units, 30-amp circuit breakers have been installed to protect the trailer's 12-volt electrical system.

Travel trailers circuit breakers will be located inside a covered junction box attached inside the front cross member of the A-frame. Additional circuit breakers may be used for slideout switch protection.

Fifth wheel circuit breakers will be located inside a covered fuse box attached inside the baggage compartment with additional 30-amp breakers for slideout protection and other 12-voltcircuits.

NOTE: Not all 30-amp circuit breakers are equipped with the reset switch. Resets on 30-amp circuit breakers for slideout motors are automatic reset switches."

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/88...es.html#manual

You should have a hard copy for your 2022.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the tips and the link guys. Very much appreciated. Raining this morning but once things dry out this afternoon I'll crawl underneath and give that box another look. Of course as expected, the factory no doubt used a power screwdriver to install as the screws were extremely difficult to loosen. Sprayed with lube oil overnight so hopefully things will go smoother today.

I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

For some unknown reason - I now have battery power back. Took the above suggestions and found the underframe junction box, pulled off the cover only to discover there is no little black box with a reset button on it. But after sealing the box back up, went into the camper and discovered I once again have battery power. Not a clue why so now scratching my head again. So I'll just continue to monitor and know where to look should this happen again. At least I won't be waiting months for a dealer appointment and no camper to use.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Dick
Old 07-02-2022, 10:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I guess the Gremlins left.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Think you're right Bob.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Don't discount the idea that messing with the "box" had something to do with the power return, Loose or corroded connections have are often intermittent.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Odds are about 98% that there is a loose connection in that box!
When the weather gets nice, I'm for going back and taking a close look to find which are the main feed to all the trailer and making sure they are really tight and not something that is suddenly going to go bad when it is going to put me in a real pinch!
I just don't like to sleep with that much hanging over my head!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I like your suggestion Richard. There was one connection in there that had electrical tape on it rather than a fixed connector. No doubt the culprit.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Your ground connections are especially suspect.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Guess I spoke too soon guys. Checked on the camper today and afraid the gremlins are at it again. No battery power again. Checked the junction box again but no luck. So it looks like I'll be pleading with the dealer on Tue to try and squeeze me in this week. Yeah, right. Have paid campground reservations in Canada starting a week from today. Wish me luck.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:32 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Have you double checked your chassis ground. Especially on a new rig, the paint can be getting in the way and rust is always a problem.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:43 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Good news. Finally went to the dealer and problem solved and fixed. Turned out to be a rather strange looking fuse between the battery and the junction box near the tongue. Experienced tech knew just what to look for and had the toasted fuse out and the new one in before I knew it. Unfortunately it wasn't a warranty item but was more than happy to pay around 55 bucks and have it fixed. I'll be back on the road this coming Sunday.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:53 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

"Good news."

Yes it is. But I have a question - if the fuse was blown then why did it start working for a time? Makes no sense to me...
Old 07-07-2022, 02:53 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLS View Post
"Good news."

Yes it is. But I have a question - if the fuse was blown then why did it start working for a time? Makes no sense to me...
I agree Barry.
rcorder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, power