Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2022, 10:46 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Ok thanks that helps
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:53 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

To quote the tech that found and fixed the problem, "the fuse was not working completely." Actually not a conventional RV fuse either that can easily be detected if it's blown. This type is about 1" square with a neg and poz post that accepts a wire connector and securing bolt. It was underneath the wiring coming off the battery on the tongue of the trailer.

But again, sincerely appreciate everyone's input. Nice to know we can look here with our problems and hopefully find answers.
ranger1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:48 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Actually the motorhomes have a number of these and they are called mega fuses. They come in different shapes and often have different covers on them, making them hard for us as rookies to see them as a point to go bad but one of the bigger problems is it gives two additional points for corrosion. We often look at the battery posts and fail to look all along the path from point A to B.
https://www.grainger.com/product/42V...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

One thing we can say is that fuses rarely repair themselves but corrosion can come and go, makiong contact one day and not another!

No way to know for sure but since it was intermit. and the tech just took the old out and added a new, that clears the corrosion off the ends! The question is whether they tested for bad connections or only tested for power getting through that point!
One of the problems I have seen when taking things to repair, they tend to replace boards when it may actually have only been corroded connections!
They get paid better for finding bad boards than they do for bad connections--- and it is easier!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:51 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

All good points Richard. But the part was only a bit over 4 bucks. So a small price to pay to have the problem solved. But nice to know I learned something new about types of fuses for future use.
ranger1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:13 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Right! Sometimes we do get lucky and the part they replace is one like this that doesn't cost us much. Good move to just get it fixed and not worry the issue.

My first big eye opener was not so lucky as it was going to cost me a bunch, if I had not had the right "connections"!

I had a cruise control that stopped working, so took it to a Ford garage that I knew pretty well and trusted as my brother was the service manager.
They changed out some major part but it did not fix it, so they looked again and found the switch on the steering wheel was not making, so they changed it also and all was okay, until I got the bill for several hundred dollars!

So I talked to the brother about why I got billed for both and he talked to the tech who told him they always changed that big part first as it was "usually " what was wrong.
Long story is they wrote off the big part and the tech did not get paid for the time on it and did get a discussion of testing first, replacing last!

My brother finally quit when he found that was not what the owners wanted!

Apparently the main idea of business is to charge the most possible and hope to not get caught! Read some of the industry mags to get a better idea of recommended business practices in the auto repair field.
The thing that blows my mind is that some repair places have those mags out for the cutomers to read while waiting!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:57 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Just because the fuse was found open doesn't mean it blew. I just replaced a 600amp fuse in our service at work that just failed open and have replaced many open fuses in the past that were not blown. This typically happens with cartridge fuses.

The only way you can tell for sure is to cut the fuse open and inspect the filament. If it is melted, then it blew. Quite often the issue is a bad connection internally.

A bad fuse internal connection can easily be intermittent. Vibration can make and break the connection.

Mike
eyecando is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, power