Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

GenSet starts by itself

I have a 2002 Winnebago Journey that I bought used 7 months ago. For the second time in the last 3 weeks, the generator has started by itself while being plugged up to shore power. The first time was at home during the day... I came home from work and found the generator running. No loss of shore power to my knowledge (clocks not flashing in the house). The second time was while camping at a state park 2 nights ago, I awoke in the middle of the night with the clocks flashing (assume I temporarily lost shore power at the park) and the generator was running. I am not aware that this unit has an Auto Start system. After arriving home I turned on all of the interior lights without plugging into shore power to see if I had an Auto Start system. I let the batteries voltage get down to 8.8 volts and the generator did not start. I am considering the possibility of a loose connection or short in the generator start circuit. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance.
wfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The problem is well documented. The fix in most cases is to dry out the connector for the remote control. It's the plug with a lot of small wires on the passenger side of the generator.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

This happend on my 02 Horizon a few years back...If you look around the generator you will find a harness that plugs in and runs up inside the coach to the dash. Unplug that harness clean and coat both sides with dielectric grease and plug it back in..It's a known problem...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Sure glad someone finally brought this issue up. I had it happen to me last year and it was so strange. In the middle of the night, I became aware of a running generator and it was still running when I got up the next morning. I was really ticked that someone would run their generator all night in a campground with full hookups. Then happened to notice a green light on my dash. Pushed the stop button and the noise stopped.
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I hate to say it, but it happened twice this last winter. The coach is under roof and connected to 30 amp.

Will do the dielectric grease at the harness. (Spent many hours reprogramming the autostart) Thanks movin-on.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Another common cause has been dirty/corroded contacts on the start switch that is on the generator itself. Clean up with wire brush, etc.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all! Will apply the dieletric grease.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

That is pretty scary thinking that while I have it in off site storage the genset starts by itself and runs until my 80 gallon tank is almost empty.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Mine started by itself one night and scared the stuff out of me. Upon inspection I found a raccoon footprint next to the external starting switch.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Wfrazier, with voltage at 8.8 gen could not start without help good way to kill batteries.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

ernieh,

I found 2 connectors, both on the front side of the generator, one was rectangular and about 1/3 the size of a pack of cigarettes with 8 wires going to it... the other was a smaller round connector with 5 or 6 wires. I treated them both. I did not see any connectors on the passenger side adjacent to the generator.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Another common cause has been dirty/corroded contacts on the start switch that is on the generator itself. Clean up with wire brush, etc.
Paul, It looks like the whole front generator panel would have to be removed to access the back side of the switch... is this correct?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrazier View Post
ernieh,

I found 2 connectors, both on the front side of the generator, one was rectangular and about 1/3 the size of a pack of cigarettes with 8 wires going to it... the other was a smaller round connector with 5 or 6 wires. I treated them both. I did not see any connectors on the passenger side adjacent to the generator.
Those are the ones....
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrazier View Post
ernieh,

Sounds like you found them. Mine are on the pax side and assumed yours were the same. I guess a year makes a difference.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by David49
Sure glad someone finally brought this issue up. I had it happen to me last year and it was so strange. In the middle of the night, I became aware of a running generator and it was still running when I got up the next morning. I was really ticked that someone would run their generator all night in a campground with full hookups. Then happened to notice a green light on my dash. Pushed the stop button and the noise stopped.
Lol that to funny
Forty1974 is offline   Reply With Quote