Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2006, 06:42 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Gunny, thanks for the tips. The genset is an Onan Model 7.5HDKAJ11451H, spec H.

However, when I had the wife start it up while I was outside observing, what sounded like a bang in the coach turned out to be just the start-up shudder that I am familiar with from other generators, and the banging the result of some part of the genset carrier frame banging against something else. As I shook the front of the frame around with the genset off, I could hear the tapping, but just can't make out where it is hitting and there are no obvious marks anywhere that I could see either. I also suspect that the bang is magnified when the genset is fully retracted into the coach which is what made it alarming to start with.

So, thanks to all for the tips, since the coach has to go in to Cummins/FL for an engine brake issue, I will see what they can do about tightening up the genset frame.

05 Vectra 40 AD
RanchoVectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Hi Phil:

Had a 2003 Itasca Suncruiser 33V (Ford) with an Onan 5.5 genset and it really banged on startup and shutdown.

Now have a 2003 Tiffin Phaeton (350 Cat) and Onan 7.5 and it shudders rather than bangs. So the long and short of it seems to be the many Onan gensets go bang or shudder, whether gas or diesel.

Best,

2003 Tiffin Phaeton 40' TGH Portable Surge Guard. 2001 Subaru Outback toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow system and US Gear supplimental braking.
pleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

You may want to check the bolts that secure genset to frame.. I found 2 broken ones on my 04 meridian.
cmaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cmaserv:
You may want to check the bolts that secure genset to frame.. I found 2 broken ones on my 04 meridian. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny, didn't I mention that already????
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:22 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I found the source of my banging noise which is only upon shutdown. The MH manufacture installed a basement storage support bracket too close to the Onan tailpipe.
I should be able to adjust the tailpipe in its hanger to move it away from the bracket.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote