Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Genny transfer switch

We have a 2010 winnebago sightseer 35j.
The transfer switch didn't want to switch this morning when I was exercising it .Took 45 mins to work. I opened the switchbox and nothing obvious stands out, I tapped on the relays, started gen after 30 sec delay it switched over. Checked few times through the day worked after 30 sec each time.
Should I be expecting a total failure?
I saw the same problem happen when we picked her up when it was snowing. Thought it was because it was 30 degrees.
It is a:
Parallax Power Supply
Mod. ATS 501
norcal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal01 View Post
The transfer switch didn't want to switch this morning when I was exercising it .Took 45 mins to work. I opened the switchbox and nothing obvious stands out, I tapped on the relays, started gen after 30 sec delay it switched over. Checked few times through the day worked after 30 sec each time.
I saw the same problem happen when we picked her up when it was snowing. Thought it was because it was 30 degrees.
It is a: Parallax Power Supply Mod. ATS 501
norcal01
Methinks there 2 correct answers to that question:
1.) Maybe.
2.) Maybe not.
Sorry
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a poor electrical connection that was restored by warmth. Since metal expands as it heats, I'd suspect either just a poor connection, a cold solder joint, or corrosion causing it.

What I'd do is pull the xfer switch, and using an appropriately sized soldering iron, resolder any and all solder connections I can find on the relay. Sometimes I'll cut the paper wrapping back a bit to access the solder joints. If I see corrosion anywhere, I'll zero in my efforts in that area.

Next, I use needle nosed pliers to squeeze all the female wire connectors (if any) so they make a tighter connection. Also I'll remove, burnish, and reconnect any and all screw down wire connections I find inside the transfer case.

Good luck.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
It is a:
Parallax Power Supply
Mod. ATS 501
I am assuming you are testing the ATS by starting the genset while connected to a 120V shore power source. If that is correct, the question is WHY would you do that? Even if you have auto genstart enabled, I just don't understand what you hope to accomplish by testing the switch under load.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There is a circuit in the box that lets the generator come up to speed and stabilize before the load is applied. when this circuit fails, the box is still good, but it fails to change over. You can replace just the timer circuit. Many of my customers changed the box out themselves when this circuit failed. This is like throwing away your old car and buying a new one when it would not start, because of a dead battery.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I'm with Jim_HiTek on this one. Unplug shore power, generator off and just to be extra sure shut off the invertor if you have one. Check every screw terminal in the ATS. Any plug terminals give a squeeze. Check the relays in for smooth mechanical movement and that the contacts are not overly burned or pitted.

While you have all power removed check all the terminals in in the breaker panel while your at it.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It is a:
Parallax Power Supply
Mod. ATS 501
Did anyone say :welcome: yet? I hope do.

Disconnect your power and shut the breaker off on the generator (just to be safe). Open the cover on the xfer sw and check the tightness of all the terminals. Note to us if you find any loosies. These things are not really sensitive to cold weather. Moisture is a problem if it gets into the sw but then you might be having greater issues that require a boat.

Rick Y
Old 03-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Update

I have been testing with no power hooked up.
The jenny runs but no power to the coach. In further testing now the power comes on after the 30 sec delay each time cold or hot. So I will keep what I have learned for later use.
Thanks
Norcal01
norcal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had the same intermittent issue last year and decided to put in a new transfer switch. I upgraded to the newer ATS which, according to Parallax has improved reliability in the relays.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I have been testing with no power hooked up.
The jenny runs but no power to the coach. In further testing now the power comes on after the 30 sec delay each time cold or hot. So I will keep what I have learned for later use.
Thanks
Norcal01
I hope this is correct, but I believe the ATS is supposed to "default" to the genset. If I'm correct, I think that means it is supposed to "switch" TO shore power when you plug in, assuming the genset is NOT running at the time. Likewise, when you disconnect the shore power you should hear the ATS switching back to the default (genset). IOW, the switch does not need to "switch" when you start the genset, if not connected to shore power.

On mine, there is a delay after the genset is started, before the power being generated is transferred to the coach distribution panel, but that delay does not mean the ATS is faulty....I've always assumed that delay is designed to give the genset time to stabilize itself before getting hit with a load.

Hope someone will correct me if my opinion is incorrect.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I had a similar situation, but different cause. First, the ATS is supposed to default to the GenSet when it senses power from that source.

In my case, it was a very hot day, sitting in a parking lot, running generator and a/c. A friend came over, wanted to go out to eat, and breaking all of my normal meticulous rules of shutting down all loads, I just reached up and killed the Generator (on later reflection, I am sure both compressors on the a/c were running full blast at that moment).

When we returned a few hours later, started up the generator, no power showed on the power panel. Started and restarted generator several times, but no change. The next morning, I started the generator, and the power panel lit up showing generator, but the lights were erratic, amps jumped around, and then when out again. Generator was just running great though.

Lucky to have my dealer only 2 miles away, drove over and they let me plug into 30amp shore power. ATS clicked, and all was working normally. Ok, decided to work on the problem later. Drove to my campsite some 100 miles away. Plugged into AC power.

Two days later, I decided to test the ATS again, started the generator, and the power panel lit up, and all worked fine for an hour test. Tried it again a week later, all seemed to work fine, and continued to work on my monthly maintenance runs for the next year. Then, again, another very hot day, parked in a parking lot, fired up the generator, and it ran fine for 5 minutes, then the power panel lights started flipping around, and finally went out. Turned off all the power to the chassis and coach, turned back on after a minute, went off to dinner. Upon return, generator and power panel worked perfectly, and the next morning too. That was 8 months ago, and still running fine whenever we need it.

I think the contacts got a little fried the first time. And the act of plugging into AC power caused the ATS to move the contacts and polish them up a bit, more I used it, the better it got.

I suppose, sometime, I will have to either polish the contacts or replace the unit, but for now, seems to be working fine.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I hope this is correct, but I believe the ATS is supposed to "default" to the genset. If I'm correct, I think that means it is supposed to "switch" TO shore power when you plug in, assuming the genset is NOT running at the time. Likewise, when you disconnect the shore power you should hear the ATS switching back to the default (genset). IOW, the switch does not need to "switch" when you start the genset, if not connected to shore power.

On mine, there is a delay after the genset is started, before the power being generated is transferred to the coach distribution panel, but that delay does not mean the ATS is faulty....I've always assumed that delay is designed to give the genset time to stabilize itself before getting hit with a load.

Good points and true. If the genset timing circuit is working correctly there should be 120VAC present at the ATS when the timer is satisfied. If it is there and not leaving, the ATS is the problem. If it is not there the generator or timer is the problem. ga traveler covered this possibility earlier.

Rick Y
Old 03-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

This is not correct. The Generator is the default setting. When you plug in, you should have instant power through the relays. When you start the generator, you should have a delay and then the relay closes. About 1 coach in 500 will be just the opposite. They are not designed that way. It is just that the party boy at the manufacturer of the motorhome ran the wires backwards. (easy to do) There are two stickers in the ATS. One says Generator and one says line. If you reverse these, the ATS will work backwards.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
This is not correct. The Generator is the default setting. When you plug in, you should have instant power through the relays. When you start the generator, you should have a delay and then the relay closes. About 1 coach in 500 will be just the opposite. They are not designed that way. It is just that the party boy at the manufacturer of the motorhome ran the wires backwards. (easy to do) There are two stickers in the ATS. One says Generator and one says line. If you reverse these, the ATS will work backwards.
Some ATS don't have instant power when plugged in. They build in a delay to check for good power.
[http://www]

50A Hardwire - Model 41260
Automatic Transfer Switch

120/240V, 50A, 60 Hz

The Surge Guard line of automatic transfer switches ensures continuous power to your coach by monitoring shore power and automatically switching to generator power when it detects electrical issues that could impact performance of equipment in your motorhome. * The 41260 provides basic surge protection of 2600 joules at 76,400 Amps.* Additional features include:

Protects RV bumper to bumper from faulty park power.
Provides the following protection:Open neutralReverse polarityTime Delay at Power Up (Shore 3-4 Sec., Generator 30 Sec.)
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I'm very confused by your statement saying that I am "not correct" because you then stated the exact same thing that I posted about the genset being the default. Can you clarify what it is that I am "not correct" about ?

As far as your comment that "when you plug in you should have instant power" that may be true for "most" coaches, but those of us that have invested in a Progressive Ind. "surge protector" don't get "instant" power because the Progressive unit delays the shore power until it determines the shore power is "safe" (correctly wired and no open neutral or open ground)
Old 03-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have a Esco LPT50BRD transfer switch. I replaced the original oem unit after it burned up.
Wiring calls out for shore power to be default. Relays engage upon generator power. I suppose the entire company are party boys?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1457109058.575057.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	120481
Old 03-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Default is shore power. Priority is generator.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Default is shore power. Priority is generator.
Could you please elaborate? I don't understand the difference (in this context) between default and priority, I thought those labels were essentially the same.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

The words chosen are a bit confusing.
When on shore power, the relays are not engaged they pass the shore power through. That is the default state. When the generator starts up, the relays receive power and engage thus pass the power through the generator, which becomes priority. Even if shore power is present, the generator will be providing the power, that's why the term " priority " is used.
So the priority becomes the generator when it is on and the relays are engaged. Turn off the generator and the relays disengage reverting back to shore.
Hope this helps and does not cause more confusion.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Could you please elaborate? I don't understand the difference (in this context) between default and priority, I thought those labels were essentially the same.
If there is no power it defalts to shore.

If there is power from both, it's priority is generator.

Tags
transfer switch