Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2016, 07:16 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If there is no power it defalts to shore.

If there is power from both, it's priority is generator.
Correct. That is the way it works.I am just saying it another way. To me priority is the relaxed position. Default is the powered position. We agree on how it works. just not the names.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
This is not correct. The Generator is the default setting. When you plug in, you should have instant power through the relays. When you start the generator, you should have a delay and then the relay closes. About 1 coach in 500 will be just the opposite. They are not designed that way. It is just that the party boy at the manufacturer of the motorhome ran the wires backwards. (easy to do) There are two stickers in the ATS. One says Generator and one says line. If you reverse these, the ATS will work backwards.
This may be the case for some manufactures but not on my coach and this is not a party head mistake in wiring at the factory.

I just ran my generator manually. My EMS panel, plugged into shore power, reads 50A service. As soon as I Started the generator it switch. The reading to indicates the generator. When the generator timer, that allows the genset inverter and engine to stabilize, is satisfied my coach is powered from the generator.

When in Auto Start the generator will start if commercial power is lost and the coach demands a need of the generator to charge the batteries (through the inverter) or run the HVAC. When commercial power is restored the generator will finish its demand call and shut down. The commercial power will then, and only then, take over. Bottom line: The ATS defers to the genset.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 03-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

It could be that the tapping on the relays fixed the problem. When I was younger and fixed Pinball machines the Old Gnarly Guy told me that residual magnetism will make the relays and solenoids stick. His first task was to clean everything and then tap the relays and solenoids with a small ballpeen hammer with the machine unplugged. Most of the time this fixed the machines and the profit was really good on those units.

Dick
Old 03-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

The cold observations may not be relevant with only two samples.
The thing to do is divide and conquer.
Is the expected voltage available at the contacts? No, check the power source. Probably not your issue.
Is the expected voltage across the coil. No. Check the source of the relay control. Here you get into delay devices, interlocks, bad power or ground connections etc. But continue with the dived and conquer here to.
Does the armature move? No, then there is s problem with the coil or the armature. This could be temperature sensitive if for example some thing that gets stiff in the cold keeps the armature from moving, like very dirty lubricant.
Do the contacts close and have low resistance (low voltage across them under load)? No, maybe the armature isn't moving enough or the contacts are bad.
The contacts close and have good voltage under load. The system is working and you have an issue with power after the relay.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If there is no power it defalts to shore.

If there is power from both, it's priority is generator.
Thank you. That helps a lot. I agree if both sources are present, mine ATS will "choose" the genset....I just thought that meant that the genset was the default, by now I see the difference. Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problems with my 2006 Voyage. It took maybe another 6-8 months for full failure.

You might be closer to failure as it has taken yours longer to kick in than mine. Eventually it would kick-in and drop-out repeatedly and then finally nothing at all.

I ordered a new switching box and installed it in the RV lot in about an hour the evening before a Texas A&M football game. It is not difficult to change out; just pay attention to all the wires - I labeled mine - because even though it is a wire-to-terminal changeout your replacement might have the terminals in a different position from the originals as I experienced.

I also strongly recommend you have an right-angle screwdriver handy. I have a SpeedHex cordless that I bought at Lowes - it is super.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch