Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have an 04 Adventurer on a Workhorse Chassis with an Onan Marquis 5500 Generator. The Generator has 153 hours on it and we just came back from a 5587 mile trip with no problems with generator. I have been exercising the generator once a month prior to this trip and never had any problem starting it.

I decided to change the oil in gennie and went to start it and the EMS panel blinked and the gennie clicked but wouldn't turn over.

After removing the cover on gennie I tried to start it there with the same clicking coming from the right rear of gennie. I measured B+ and it was 14 Volts.

CAn anyone help with this problem or possibly tell me where to get a pictoral of where egine parts are located, eg: the starter and solenoid.

To make matters worse the warranty expired by a week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have an 04 Adventurer on a Workhorse Chassis with an Onan Marquis 5500 Generator. The Generator has 153 hours on it and we just came back from a 5587 mile trip with no problems with generator. I have been exercising the generator once a month prior to this trip and never had any problem starting it.

I decided to change the oil in gennie and went to start it and the EMS panel blinked and the gennie clicked but wouldn't turn over.

After removing the cover on gennie I tried to start it there with the same clicking coming from the right rear of gennie. I measured B+ and it was 14 Volts.

CAn anyone help with this problem or possibly tell me where to get a pictoral of where egine parts are located, eg: the starter and solenoid.

To make matters worse the warranty expired by a week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Since the problem started after you had done some maintenance, go back over your work and make sure you did not knock a wire off or loose. Also, check and clean the 12 volt connections to the generator. Also check the ground connection.

Any one of these cold keep you off-line.

Ken
Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After removing the cover on gennie I tried to start it there with the same clicking coming from the right rear of gennie. I measured B+ and it was 14 Volts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,
Check to voltage right on the starter motor solonoid, while trying to start it. Voltage should not drop significantly (should be between 10 to 12 volts). This will indicate if all your electrical connections are good. If it drops below the above range check all your connections

Measuring voltages without a load specially when you have heavy loads does not tell you much about the condition of your wiring and connections.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I agree. Sounds just like the posts and battery cable connections need to be cleaned.

With dirty connections, it is possible to get a good reading on a meter but when you pour the coal to it with the starting function, the start solenoid just can't make it happen.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I didn't see it on posts, but if the Coach power switch (AUX BATT) is set to off... It will click but won't start... It happend to me when I first took the MH home in 03...
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but if the Coach power switch (AUX BATT) is set to off... It will click but won't start... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eds got it. It mimics alot of other things, but I bet thats it.I was ready to change out a battery just before I left on this trip, but discovered the switch position just in time... .RGR...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

RGR,
Well my friend, You really got to love this forum! We've all been there at one time or another if not you can bet someone else has!
Glad you got the message before buying new Batteries.
Enjoy!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Ed,
Great catch. I don't think I would have thought of that,
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

What a great forum this is...

I had the same symptoms (solenoid click-no start) back in Jan in South Fl. I just thought that I had run the batteries down too low and had a little Honda 2kw that I fired up for TV, Fridg and btry charging.

Until the post by Ed I just assumed that the lil honda had charged the batteries. Looking back at the event I'm sure that the Aux Btry switch was in the off position. I'll file this info in one of the corners of my mind for future recall. Thank's Ed.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Thank you Ed.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Your welcome!
Now to prevent it from happening again. I went to Home Depot/Lowes and bought a hinged switch cover to cover both the basement light and the Aux Power switch.... Prevents accidental bumping!
Old 07-15-2007, 03:24 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

This is good info and it happened to me several weeks ago (gotta get one of those covers)

BUT.....haven't seen a report back from Tom-NC that this was in fact his problem. Or did I miss it? Steve
Old 07-15-2007, 04:55 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Thank you all for your input on repairing my problem especially ED. The BATT/AUX switch solved the problem.

I would not have looked there as coach is plugged into 30 amp service at house 24/7 and I was told that would bypass BATT/AUX switch but I guess not regarding the generator. It is amazing what we learn on this forum.

Well it did start but died out after a few minutes due to less than 1/4 tank in fuel tank.

Again thanks to everyone except Onan who told me to make an appoointment to have starter or solenoid replaced . Saved big bucks, Whew!!!!!

Tom
Old 07-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Member"

Posted July 13, 2007 07:47 PM Hide Post
RGR,
Well my friend, You really got to love this forum! We've all been there at one time or another if not you can bet someone else has!
Glad you got the message before buying new Batteries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>.
............. Yea, but it was close ...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Ed...you are the man. I had the same problem with my genny last weekend. When I put the MH to bed I noticed the by pass switch was thrown. I'll try my genny again tomorrow with the swithch on. Bet it starts...

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:19 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

John,
I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

John,
What did you find out???