Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Generator will not start

I took my 2005 Itasca Suncruiser out this weekend to do some work and my generator would not start. Not even an attempt to start. check for blown fuses and found none, check at generator and breakers were not tripped. Decided to check batteries and found that one of the batteries cells was empty and I saw a puddle of what I would call battery barf.. I had topped this battery off a week earlier and all was good. So here are my questions:

1) Please confirm that the two batteries tied together (left and center batteries in picture) are indeed the house batteries.

2) Please confirm my understanding that if one of these batteries go bad then the generator will not start.

3) Based on 1 & 2, what batteries would you recommend be used to replace the bad ones?

4) If either 1 & 2 are not correct, what else should I look at as to why my generator will not start?

I have attached photos to show the batteries and the leak I found at the bottom of the left battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0185.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	42328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0184.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	42329  

osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
1) Please confirm that the two batteries tied together (left and center batteries in picture) are indeed the house batteries. I can't confirm that the two ont he left are your house bank. I can say that they appear to be two 6 v batteries. That configuration is typically a house bank.
2) Please confirm my understanding that if one of these batteries go bad then the generator will not start. If they ar indeed two 5v then if one goes bad you will not have 12v

3) Based on 1 & 2, what batteries would you recommend be used to replace the bad ones? Golf cart batteries if they will physically fit and are iondeed 6v batteries

4) If either 1 & 2 are not correct, what else should I look at as to why my generator will not start?

I have attached photos to show the batteries and the leak I found at the bottom of the left battery.
Thoroughly clean the area with a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yes, the two "tied together" are your house batteries, and BOTH should be replaced at the same time. They "probably" are 12 V deep cycle flooded (wet) cell type because that is what WBGO seems to use. A better choice for replacements would be 12V AGM type (using the same wiring pattern), but they are much more expensive. 6 volt deep cycle, aka "golf cart", batteries will give you more reserve power but will require you to change the wiring. You can tell for sure by counting the cell holes-it is two volts for each hole. EDIT: upon closer exam of your picture, yours appear to be 3 holes each= 6 volt batteries, not 12 V as in my 2010 Suncruiser.

Because of cost, I recently bought 2 new 12V wet cell type at Sam's and they were a direct replacement-fit fine. Just a PITA to keep filled with water because the converter isn't a "smart charger" and will boil them if you stay plugged in for too long.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have a 2005 Suncruiser.

The 2 batteries on the left are your house batteries. They are 6v batteries.

You may be able to start your generator by engaging the dash battery switch. This switch temporarily connects all batteries together.

NOTE: You should have tie downs on the house batteries.

I took the photo below before I installed my tie downs. My Suncruiser came with 2 -12v and the 6v that I replaced them with are higher. I had to buy longer all thread rods.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies. How can I know for sure if they are 6V or 12V. I cannot see any label on the two that indicate what they are. Also, what manufacturer and source would you suggest for a replacement? Here is a picture of the top label of the bad battery.

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0183.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	42350  
Old 07-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

See those round things between the 2 terminals, those are the cell caps, 2 volts per cell. 3 cells = 6volts. I buy mine from the local golf cart shop, price 2yrs. ago $75 each.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

As artworke says, they are 6 volt batteries. To expand on that: they came from Batteries * ans were made by ReyOVac.

AGM's are far more expensive and usually not worth the cost UNLESS yours are very hard to get to and would be neglected due to it. Even the battery manufacturers say that deep cycle golf cart batteries give you the most "bank for the buck"
Our OEM Interstate U-2200's batteries lasted one month short of 10 years and even then were adequate for our uses. Just that we were headed out for a trip and didn't want trouble on the road. I also added 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell. Here are two pictures ours taken in 2008 after 6 years of use and 4 years with the mineral oil in them. They had NEVER been cleaned after I put the mineral oil in. Notice the total lack of corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Battery1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	42351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	42352  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Check you local Sams Club or Costco for 6v golf cart batteries. Cost will be ~$75 each. Both stores sell excellent batteries with a good guarantee.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #9

To get your generator to start check the battery terminals for corrosion. I have a similar setup in my under step bay and the generator positive was not making good contact. Cleaned that and have had no problems since.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
To get your generator to start check the battery terminals for corrosion. I have a similar setup in my under step bay and the generator positive was not making good contact. Cleaned that and have had no problems since.
Thanks for the reply. One of my batteries has a leaking cell and there is corrosion on the battery pan along side it. I will be replacing that battery if not both.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #11

BTW I just checked. The generator on my Adventurer starts from the chassis battery. I have the chassis battery turned off.... generator will not even click ... turn chassis battery on ... generator fires right up.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
BTW I just checked. The generator on my Adventurer starts from the chassis battery. I have the chassis battery turned off.... generator will not even click ... turn chassis battery on ... generator fires right up.
Now I am confused. I can start the engine no problem. If that is working, wouldn't the generator start as well? Where is the switch located to turn the chassis battery on or off?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

osgoor,
On your 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 37B, the generator is connected to the coach batteries via the Battery disconnect switch. Given that one of your 2 six volt coach batteries is bad, the generator would not start. The Battery disconnect switch does have to be ON to start the generator on your rig.

Wiring diagrams TOC for your rig: Table of Contents

Page showing generator connection: PDF Page 3 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_146761.pdf

Clue that you have 2 six volt coach batteries: The Positive post (+) of the center battery is connected to the negative post (-) of the lefthand battery which places them in series with reach other. One battery fails, neither battery works. Both left and center batteries only have 3 waterholes each. A 12 volt battery has 6 waterholes.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Now I am confused. I can start the engine no problem. If that is working, wouldn't the generator start as well? Where is the switch located to turn the chassis battery on or off?

Thanks!
I added the switch myself. I wonder why Winnebago has the system set up differently unit to unit, unless the previous owner moved the connections in mine. If that was the case I wonder why he did that?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Possum,
Wiring diagram TOC for your 1994 Adventurer WCG29RQ rig: Table of Contents

If you refer to pdf page 2 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1994/111515.pdf you will see that your rig also was originally designed to operate the generator off of the coach battery also. It also required the Coach Battery Disconnect switch to be energized to start the generator (gen on opposite side of disconnect). If that is no longer true, then someone changed it.

However, I will say that if the Battery Mode Solinoid is energized then the generator can be started via the chassis battery. Additionally, if you have something like a Trick-L-Start installed AND you are hooked to shore power then the Battery Mode Solinoid would be energized allowing the generator to start. All depends on switch settings and changes that may or may not have been made.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. One of my batteries has a leaking cell and there is corrosion on the battery pan along side it. I will be replacing that battery if not both.
OSGOOR: do yourself a favor and replace BOTH batteries at the same time. If you don't, the old battery will just drag the new one down to its level.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Update - Stopped by storage yard after work and pulled the bad battery out. Boy they are heavy. Took it to my local Walmart and was told they do not carry any 6 volt batteries in any of their stores (Colorado). Loaded battery back in car and drove to local Advanced Auto Parts store. Left in car and had him come out to look. He told me they do not carry a battery similar to mine. Drove to local Batteries plus and they were closed. All in all a poor outcome for the night.

Looked at Sam's club and they "appear" to have them. I am not a member so that would be another $45.00 on top of the price for one or two batteries. Will try sears after work tonight and maybe go back to Batteries Plus....

I do appreciate all the feedback on this issue.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Update to update - Spent a few hours on the phone yesterday calling local golf cart shops. The Trojan T105 was $125 - $150 each and a half hour drive to get them. Called Costco corporate to ask what stores in Colorado sold the golf cart batteries and was told none. Finally called Batteries Plus and they had two of the same model that I am replacing on sale at $109.00 each. Bought two and installed last night. So, that pita is off my list...

Thanks for all the feedback....

Tags
generator