Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Generator/Shore Power

We are camping with very, very weak 30 amp power. I can't find the answer in the manual, but can the generator be run while plugged into shore power? Or does shore power have to be off?
Old 08-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Assuming you have an on-board installed generator?
Push the start button start generator.
The "transfer switch" will automatically switch over to generator power for you once it reaches the correct operation voltage. Likewise when you shut off the generator it will switch back over to your active SP. Most will agree it's best to make these transitions while not under max. electrical loads to allow a short generator warm up and cool down period, but not imperative. With A/Cs etc. off, they'll thank you.

Happy motoring.
J & J & Kickr's the Vonderhund
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Assuming you have a transfer switch, yes. With the caveat of not having large loads active when switching as it can cause arcing of the contacts in the switch ultimately leading to failure of the switch.

Some RV do not have automatic switch. Instead the shore power cord is simply manually plugged into the generator.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. We just got done moving to a new site. Our voltage was registering between 103 - 106. We have 50 amp now.

The info you provided is good to know.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yikes, That is poor. What's the voltage at the 50A site?

Enjoy.
J & J & Kickr's the Vonderhund
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

118-120
Old 08-09-2016, 12:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My last outing here in South Texas, the shore voltage was 109 with one AC running. When I tried to start the second one it drooped to 101. I ran the genny until I got to the temperature in the evening I could run one AC. I am currently working on a doodad which will increase the voltage to the coach by increasing the current on the pedestal. Testing showed that 100 volts at 29 amps will supply around 115 volts at 25 amps. Should be enough to run both ACs.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
My last outing here in South Texas, the shore voltage was 109 with one AC running. When I tried to start the second one it drooped to 101. I ran the genny until I got to the temperature in the evening I could run one AC. I am currently working on a doodad which will increase the voltage to the coach by increasing the current on the pedestal. Testing showed that 100 volts at 29 amps will supply around 115 volts at 25 amps. Should be enough to run both ACs.
That would be known as a Hughes Autoformer, why reinvent the wheel with a buck/boost transformer when you can have one complete with weatherproof box, surge suppression, cables, and hot/ground/neutral crossed/missing sensing?

https://hughesautoformers.com/

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
That would be known as a Hughes Autoformer, why reinvent the wheel with a buck/boost transformer when you can have one complete with weatherproof box, surge suppression, cables, and hot/ground/neutral crossed/missing sensing?

https://hughesautoformers.com/

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror.
Thanks. I believe I have heard of them, just never researched it.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
That would be known as a Hughes Autoformer, why reinvent the wheel?
Because I can and it is not going to cost me $387. I have a couple of Triplite 1800 watt line conditioners laying around and I am going to combine them into one unit and mount them in the basement where it can't disappear. I will be replacing the mechanical relays with solid state relays for instantaneous switching between voltage taps.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Ed,

When I bought our Sightseer 33C I had the dealer install a hard wired Progressive Surge Protector.

Today I plugged into shore power and my surge protector would not let power into the coach. I checked the display on the surge protector and on leg of the 50 amp service was over voltage. We moved to the site next door which worked just fine.

My surge protector may have paid for itself today.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Ed,

When I bought our Sightseer 33C I had the dealer install a hard wired Progressive Surge Protector.

Today I plugged into shore power and my surge protector would not let power into the coach. I checked the display on the surge protector and on leg of the 50 amp service was over voltage. We moved to the site next door which worked just fine.

My surge protector may have paid for itself today.

Safe travels. JD
JD

I had a hard wired Progressive on in my Hitch Hiker 5th wheel. It save my but a number of times. I bought a Progressive unit that plugs into the electrical pole for the coach and it has already saved me three times this trip alone. Would never leave home without it.

Ed

Tags
generator, power, shore power