Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator Service

I have a 2014 Navion with an LP generator . Can you change the oil yourself ? Is it difficult to do ? What type of oil and filter ? How is it done ?
johnff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnff View Post
I have a 2014 Navion with an LP generator . Can you change the oil yourself ? Is it difficult to do ? What type of oil and filter ? How is it done ?
johnff
Don't you have an owner's manual for the LP generator in your 2014 Navion?
(If not I'm sure you can find one online).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

johnff, like mel s said should be a generator manual in your bag of stuff that came with the motorhome. If not get the part number of the generator and look it up online. Here is a video that will give a good idea of what it takes to change the oil.

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
johnff, like mel s said should be a generator manual in your bag of stuff that came with the motorhome. If not get the part number of the generator and look it up online. Here is a video that will give a good idea of what it takes to change the oil.

Don't forget to change the oil filter and clean, or replace, the air filter at each oil change.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Most small Onan generators don't have oil filters but they do have fuel filters.

There are 2 ways to drain the oil.

Under the belly pan there is a drain plug. Remove it with a drain pan underneath and that's it.

The way I prefer is to use a suction transfer device to pull the oil out through the filler hole. I prefer this method because its cleaner and I don't have to get under the RV. I also have a pressure washer and a lawn mower that need oil changes as well. Both are really messy.

I've seen the suction transfer devices at Harbour Freight and at other big box stores.
Radioflyer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I used to use the sump plug to drain the oil on the genset. Takes time and you need to get underneath the RV and get dirty. I purchased an oil suction pump from Walmart for under $10. Think it was labeled Pennzoil. Works great. Do an oil change in a few minutes easily. I use an old 2 quart screw top milk bottle, and pump the old oil into that. Walmart also have a funnel that screws onto quart oil bottles. This funnel costs the huge sum of fifty cents! This makes it easy to get the new oil in with out spilling any. I then put the suction pump and the funnel into a zip lock bag so I don't have to clean anything before the next oil change. Walmart take the old oil for free. The whole job gets done in a Walmart car park while I am on the road, makes no mess, and takes very little time.

Thanks Walmart!

Peter
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
johnff
Don't you have an owner's manual for the LP generator in your 2014 Navion?
(If not I'm sure you can find one online).
Thanks I do have the manual
Old 09-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post

Thank you The video is great
Old 09-16-2016, 05:49 PM   #9

not sure what size you have, but our 5500LP on our last rig was a piece of cake. It had a drain hose that stuck down towards the front and if you popped the front cover there was a valve you opened to drain. The oil filter was easy to get to underneath, but I did get an onan oil filter wrench to assist.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Your 2014 Navion has the Cummins Onan RV QG 3600 LP (3.6KY) generator. Oil capacity is 1.6 quarts. There is no oil filter on any KY generator and no fuel filter on the LP models. To change the oil remove the green cover on the bottom to access the drain plug.
lotsoftoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, generator