Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Generator Service

Well, we are suppost to take delivery of our new to us 2002 Winnebago Journey 36FT next Saturday. Dealer has to replace one side of windshield (rock damage) and install all new tires. We sure thank everyone for the responses about the cost to operate but, I have a question about servicing the Gen Set. It doesn't slide out as far as I can tell and, I sure as heck can't crawl under coach to change oil and filters so, how do you owners of this model do it?
Thanks for your help
Walt and Judy
wthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You either have to "crawl under the coach" or pay someone else to do it! It does not slide out. After the first time it is quite easy, and doesn't have to be done very often.

You will love your Journey. Best of luck

Ron
Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I noticed you said that the dealer was replacing half of the windshield. My advice to you is, be there when this is done. Winnie's are notorious for rust issues. Look at the side that is removed and make sure they prep it before installing new windshield. If there is rust, ask for inspection of the other side too. Been there, done that and it ain't fun, or cheap.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Access to the oil drain plug, fuel & air filter are not hard to access on the Onan 7500 generator in my Journey but you do have to get under it.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If you don't want to get under the coach or get dirty, stop at a Camping World on your way home and let them do it. If I remember right, it costs about $59.95 or thereabouts. Also, you could ask the dealer why he didn't service it for you.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

After reading more about this model, we decided to forget this model and look for another. It has nothing to do with me worrying about getting dirty, I drove a low-boy hauling heavy equipment for 30yrs and working in the shop as a mechanic or running equipment. Believe me, I would love to be able to do all the things I know how to due but to be honest, the cancer kicked my but bad. I can't hardly change the oil in my Jeep anymore.
We need a unit that has been taken care off and shouldn't cost us an arm and leg to get started, this unit's tires were all dry rotted bad and windshield had a fist size crack like a baseball hit it. The dealer said they couldn't replace all the tires and the windshield for the price $53475.00 so, we said forget it. They called the next day and said ok but, after reading about the rust issue and other posts we just think we'll wait a little longer.
Thang all of you for your replies to our posts.
Walt&Judy
wthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Best of luck in your continuing search for just the right coach for you. Always seems best not to rush the big decisions. Keep us posted and stay healthy!

Tags
generator, service