Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator Quits when I Run Over a Bump

Onan 5.5kw generator quit a few months ago with a saturated float causing flooding. Faced with a $350 Onan carburetor cost I elected to install a $50 knock off that looks identical. After adjusting the links and calibrating the system the generator works perfectly under all load conditions and stationary. BUT if I go over a big bump in the road it immediately stops but restarts again with no issues. As it has been awhile since I used the rig I forgot any trouble codes. I am not aware of any loose wiring and it started with the new carburetor. Wondering if it is the shutoff solenoid under the float chamber reacting to vibration. Any ideas?
Keith H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Probably the new float is a bit different (lighter or heavier) and when the RV bounces it trips the shutoff solenoid. You might be able to adjust it.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator