Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2021, 06:29 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
I think your generator runs off gasoline from your one fuel tank. Could that be the reason why your propane tank gauge showed very little consumption? Just ask a reliable mechanic. Even a shade tree mechanic should be able to tell you just by looking at it.
I'm eager to hear your final discovery.

Anyone who can read should be able to tell since what fuel the generator uses is pretty clearly specified on the Emissions nameplate so you do not need an expert, shade tree mechanic, etc to tell you.

All Onan generators have this information listed on them:

Even if you do not have the full emissions label another tell is the KW rating as the 4,000 when Propane Fueled only has a KW rating of 3.6 and not 4 so its considered a 3,600 LP and not actually a 4,000.

All this information is freely available on the Cummins Website so there is really no need to guess or make assumptions.

See: https://www.cummins.com/generators/rv-generators
https://www.cummins.com/rv-generator-manuals
https://mart.cummins.com/imagelibrar...es/0056746.pdf

On the initial concern about having to rebuild an Onan generator at 500 hours one may note that the standard warranty is for 1 year/1,000 hours if not used in an RV, 3 years/2,000 hours when used in an RV and 5 years/3,000 hours for the extended warranty so the design expectation is that most people will not need a major repair for at least 3,000 hours and even then that would not necessarily be a full engine rebuild. Properly cared for you should see substantially more than 3,000 hours before needing an engine rebuild on an Onan RV Generator.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:06 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

I'm sure the continued debate as to whether or not your generator is propane or gas is frustrating to you. The sure way to end the debate as to LPG vs. gas is to post a photo of the generator's nameplate as described by NeilV.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:42 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Okay, Mr NeilV, I stand corrected.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:10 AM   #24
2005 Sightseer 30B

Sorry for the delay, we had a family emergency out of state.

Anyway, took the coach to a guy my middle son (the diesel mechanic) recommended. It appears that the original generator was CONVERTED. From the stock gasoline to a TRI-fuel. Whatever THAT means. The guy said he didn't like the conversion - said it was not done very well, so he yanked out the genny and replaced it with a rebuild from a wrecked RV. He double checked all of the lines and connections and said he was satisfied with it. He also cleared up my confusion as to servicing. He said if I used it frequently, it needed a schedule just like my car. If used sporadically it needed annual work just like my lawn tractor - oil/filter/plug change and general checkup. Tune up if needed. He also confirmed that the genny should be started up and run at LEAST once a month for a couple of hours under load.

I do appreciate the suggestions and pointers, and I'm delighted that the genny was 'fixed', since I didn't even know it was sick!! OH, he said that is also where the very faint 'whiff' of propane came from. Apparently all 'conversions' and a lot of stock LP generators do that.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Sound like you have gotten down to a pretty good answeron what is needed but I might also throw in that is possibly more than I would do on preventative work. It is a judgement call and vearies with how much use you do put on the genset.Things tend to go downhil more when NOT used at times as it lets moisture and corrosion collect while setting unused where the heat will boil that sort of thing off if run once in a while to get it fully warmed.
So I do like to run things under loda like the air cond. once in a while and do it long enough to get fully warm like 30 minutes on the small ones wedeal with. Big generators like emergency power for things like hospitals and vital stuff are often set to run an hour a month and then run 8 hours once a year, just because they ARE vital!

I was amazed that the local water supplies did not even have generators and the city of Austin did not have the right people trained to do the emergency switch when the big ice storm hit! So feel good that you are at least somewhat aware and trying to get it right..... That puts you way ahead of a good portion of the state of Texas!

Since I don't consider my generator to be vital, just handy, I normally waitto do much plug changing adjusting until I begin to sense it is slower to start, etc. than normal. I do change the oil and filters as those are things that will add wear if ignored but the plugs work really well for a long time if the engine is not doing something like burning oil due to nearly worn out.
On our small generators at work we never changed the plug until some day it would not start and then we took the plug outand cleaned it! So it can be a matter of saving a bit by putting it off or being somewhat more sure it will start every time. I hate to take the RV in and find it has to set for a week to get things done.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator