Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Generator Problems

We bought a 1999, Winnebago Adventurer, 37G, with a 5000 watt Emerald Green ONAN generator.

There is no spark.

Does this generator use points OR electronic ignition?

Winnebago says call ONAN. ONAN says it could have with points or electronic ignition (1999 is a transition year).

I'm stuck, don't really want to pay $1,500 to have it fixed and in operation order. Any ideas?

Could anyone post a photograph of the location of the points on the generator?

Is the original OEM Solar Panel still available? I want to order one with the existing hole pattern as, I do not want to drill more holes in my roof.
Cynschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Can't you find an repair manual online? Since I have no idea what model that is, I can't look for you or I would. Onan has manuals online at: https://www.cummins.com/rv-generator-manuals

If the solar panel you're asking about is the 10w panel that acts as a trickle charger it's practically worthless at doing that job and isn't worth replacing. Nor is it upgradeable to use for a meaningful solar charging system.

You'll find the model number on a label like this:
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I may be thinking simple on a more difficult question, so bare with me, please?
Am I reading right that you have pulled plugs and find no spark? Not able to look for the other end of the plug wires to see if there is electronic or points?
Alternate plan would be to get the model, serial number, etc. for your specific engine and then look for the info on that item. I've not chased Onan enough to know how much info there is but it would also seem they should be able to tell with the right info.
This might be a place to start for your engine specifics as it seems to show a parts section:
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
But that may be where things get muddy!
If you can't access right now to look at it, to see which it has, does that also mean that you can't get to it to change or repair it?
Sorry for the "no help" post but trying to clear the air!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

ONAN Generator

Thanks for the quick replies.

1. Already contacted ONAN, and D/L the manual you both mentioned.
2. Plug wires go to coil-not electronic ignition or points/.
3. Thanks for the 411 on the solar deal. Guess we'll chalk this up to experience.

Thanks!
Cynschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynschmidt View Post
Thanks for the 411 on the solar deal. Guess we'll chalk this up to experience.
20+ year old solar? Kind of like stale bread. Way past it's "best by" date. It's so last century.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My Onan generator would not run but would turn over. It had no spark. I changed out the voltage regulator and she fired up perfectly. I ordered the voltage regulator from flightsystems.com. The regulator lasted exactly one year. Perhaps because I ran both ACs at the same time, it simply got too hot. Flight Systems replaced the regulator at no charge.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Generator problems please help

Hello,
I just bought a 1984 Itasca Winnebago with a Onan 4.0kw RV generator. The generator was working fine then today it was running and just shut off. I checked the gas it has plenty. My husband change the spark plugs and wires. It is getting spark. When I press the start button it turns over but won't start. I have been researching online troubleshooting, can't find any solution. Then my husband suggested reach out to people who RV as well they're very helpful and have the experience and knowledge. Thank you ahead of time for your help
GotiTright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Have you verified that it indeed is getting spark? You would need get a reading at the end of the spark plug wire while turning it over to verify. Assuming that it is, then I would check to see if the carburetor choke has closed thereby starving it of the air it would need and flooding out the engine.

Start there and see what you find. Good luck!

Al
Old 06-09-2020, 03:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Are you sure about the gas? Most RV generators are plumbed so the tank fuel pickup is about 1/4 off of the bottom of the tank. You have to have more than 1/4 fuel in the tank to work.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

GotiTright, read the post above your post.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hello,
Thank you all for your help I checked it is getting spark, gas tank on rig is full. Also called flight systems sent them my voltage regulator to test got it back it is working fine. I have determined that it is the fuel pump that went out. I just don't know what fuel pump I need so I can order it on Amazon. The model number to my Onan 4.0RV Genset is
4.0BFA-1R/16020C
Does anyone know where the fuel pump is located on my generator or part to fuel pump replacement?
Old 06-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If you contact Onan directly, with the model and serial number that Creativepart showed you where to find above, they will give you the part number you need as well as the location. They responded to my inquiry last year very quickly.

Al
Old 06-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Great thank you I will do that first thing in the morning when Onan opens.

Tags
ems, generator, problems