Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator Problem

While excerising the generator on my 2010 Winnebago Sightseer 37L, I noticed it was only putting out 30 amps instead of 50 amps. We owned this rig for 3 years now and it always generated 50 amps whether under load or not.
Any thoughts as to what I can check / look for is appreciated.
Mike In NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Generator Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
While excerising the generator on my 2010 Winnebago Sightseer 37L, I noticed it was only putting out 30 amps instead of 50 amps. We owned this rig for 3 years now and it always generated 50 amps whether under load or not.

Any thoughts as to what I can check / look for is appreciated.

Your generator is a 5500 watt which translates into just over 45 amps which is certainly closer to 50 watts than 30. Since its generating electricity, why do you say it's only producing 30 Amps? Your EMS system may be looking for some parameter that it's not seeing. Do you have any specific breakers turned off in the breaker box? Some of these systems look for power on certain breakers to decide on 30/50 amp power.

Yes should understand that you generator, although nearly 50 amp, is still only only putting out a little less than half what is available with 50 amp shore power which is essentially 2 50 amp circuits to give you 100 amps at 120 vs 45 amps with the generator.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not sure what power panel you have. There should be a signal going to panel when the generator is running. The panel assumes 50 amp shore power if it detects 240v between the 2 hot legs. It assumes 30 amp shore power if both hot legs are in phase, no potential difference between the 2 legs. Since your generator most likely outputs 120v only, not 240v, it's signal from the generator that tells the panel it's on gen power, not shore power. Lose that signal and it will assume 30 amp shore power.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I had the same problem 3 weeks ago. While exercising the generator I lost 30 amps of service to the coach. One of the air conditioners quit the microwave quit the audio visual systems quit in other words about half of the items in the coach that we're running the time cease to function. When I check the breakers they were all in the on position so I check the breaker on the generator the breaker on the generator was popped and would not reset. That is one of the breakers on the generator was popped and would not reset have contacted the dealer making appointment to bring the coach in for them to check. Check with the manufacturer and he assured me that all items in the coat that was originally installed in the coach should function with the generator and Tiffany
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Shut the generator down, then at the generator, open both of the circuits breakers that are on it. Do one at a time, it should have some resistance and a little pop , then close it back. Then do the next one the same way. Sometimes the breakers at the generator open but do not go to Open Position. If they both felt the same then you want to go to the main AC breakers and check all of them.
No since you are doing all of this checking, you might as well check the Transfer Stitch box and perform the maintenance on it. Make sure all power is off and the batteries are open circuited. Pull the cover off the box and tighten all of the screws that attach the shore power cable, generator cable, and output to the MH. Do a good visual inspection of them and check for burnt spots or melted or soft rubber/covering on the leads.
Hopefully this helps fix your problem.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:40 AM   #6
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Supergewl I will try that. Do you know what would cause this to happen?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #7
JBP
Winnie-Wise

SuperGewl one of the breakers has no resistance at all. It just flops back and forth. I assumed that it has broken???
I will go over this morning and check everything that you suggested.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

That breaker shout be able to be flopped to the open ore off position, if it doesn't the yes its FUBAR and needs replacing. You may have to try to flop it on and then flip it to OFF and hold it a moment there.
You can also try to find the cable that leaves the Generator and disconnect it and while it is disconnected, reset the breakers on the generator.
If that works then plug the cable back together and see what happens. If it trips again then there is a short somewhere in the MH that is causing the breaker on the generator to open. Most likely in the Transfer switch box.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:40 PM   #9
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Checked transfer switch today. All connections are tight and no sign of heat or burning. I was exercising the gen. About everything in coach was on except microwaves. When I turned it on that entire 30 amp side went down. Probable first time every thing was on like that. Only items built with coach was running. No coffee pot or anything that we generally carry.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Your Original post has one bit of "Confusion" in it
The question: HOW did you know it was only putting out 30 amps or 50 amps.. RV generator almost never put out the rated amprage.. no need, they only put out what is needed.. For example my air conditioners take a bit over 13 amps each (running) so if that's all that's running 27.4 amps is all the generator will put out. (Well a bit more, after all the fuel pump is also electric).

Assumption: You have something like an intelletec EMS and the display said 30 amps.

Others have suggested you check the breakers on the Generator
in addiotion there is a fuse in the EMS unit. Power from the Generator is fed, not just to the Auto Transfer switch, but to this fuse, it then tells the EMS "Oh... Generator, Show 50 and sleep".

Otherwise, most RV type Generators are 120/120 volt devices, not 120/240/120 like Shore power.. So the EMS sees zero volts L1 to L2 and says "30 amps, go to work".

FUSES, can fail due to old age as well as over current. (Happened here in the RV park.. on the main shore power fuse, put half the park in the dark.. I can tell you when I called the landlord and we started looking at it, he was rather happy when I discoverd the problem was on the power company side of ye old watthour meter (Electronic meter no display).. That meant HE DID NOT HAVE TO PAY TO FIX (he just replaced a 400 amp circuit breaker.. that was big time OUCH).

Breakers can also be tripped by things other than too much current. Like vibration.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Go to the Winnebago's web site and look up your MH's drawings information. From what you are saying it looks like your EMS and Microwave share a dual circuit breaker. Try flipping those 2 switches off then back on and see if you get something different. You may also want to check the actual connections to the back of these switches and make sure they are tight. Remember to shut down an disconnect all power prior to performing this check. Safety First.
I hope you get it figured out soon.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:14 AM   #12
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I did check the connections behind the electrical panel. But with all power to the coach off that switch should re set. I have an appointment with the dealer next week. I will see what he says.
Thanks for the help.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
I did check the connections behind the electrical panel. But with all power to the coach off that switch should re set. I have an appointment with the dealer next week. I will see what he says.
Thanks for the help.
I guess I've been talking to 2 people about the same thing happening on 2 different MFG's MH's.
On your system there may be a GFI circuit that has tripped and needs resetting. As far as where it is, is your guess. Since you say the Microwave is not working I would look around the kitchen area. Near the door, under the fridge, where the microwave plugs in. If you find a GFI circuit you have to actually trip it then reset it. Sometimes they trip but don't actually go to the tripped/off position.

Tags
generator