Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Generator mystery

A few days ago we had a violent electrical rain and wind storm in Yuma AZ.
I was not there at the time and will not return for a couple of more weeks. After the storm subsided my neighbor informed me that my generator had started and was running. He was able to unlock the rig (with key) and switch the generator off. I had left the rig plugged into the 50 amp shore power to maintain the batteries. I have 300 watts of solar but the rig is under the RV port so they are of little use. I also have a Surge Guard for obvious protection.
So the BIG question is: what and how caused the automatic start up?
The stick house had a power interruption as the clocks were flashing. I can’t recall being able to start the generator as quickly as whatever caused the start up. Always had to hold the switch for a few seconds.
At this point I don’t know if I still have shore power as my good neighbor has left town. I will know in a week or so.
Anyone have ideas? I’m electrically challenged.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

In violent weather small beasties, like cats, might seek shelter on top of the generator. The switches are easy to press and if there was lots of noise happening, the cat might not have dashed off quickly giving it time to start. I know this is possible because it happened to me on a bright sunny day. But my generator doesn't take but a couple seconds to start. The noise and vibration didn't get the cat to move until after it had started.

So that's one possibility. I imagine with an electrical storm something may have built up enough charge that it flipped a transistor or something and started it up, maybe they have the 'auto-start' circuitry installed, just not wired if you didn't pay for that option? As a former engineer though, I'd go with the cat.

Is it something to worry about? I doubt it.

Next time, just disconnect the grounds from the batteries. Both sets. (Take a photo first). I always keep a small wrench and gloves in the battery compartment just for that. Then you won't have to have the rig plugged in. But you do have to clean out your refer prior and you don't have the benefit of keeping the refer running (which is good for it) but some make up a power setup just for the refer...a 120 outlet, and a 12 volt Schumacher battery charger to keep it running while the batteries are unplugged.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for that thought.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Next time, just disconnect the grounds from the batteries. Both sets. (Take a photo first). I always keep a small wrench and gloves in the battery compartment just for that. Then you won't have to have the rig plugged in. But you do have to clean out your refer prior and you don't have the benefit of keeping the refer running (which is good for it) but some make up a power setup just for the refer...a 120 outlet, and a 12 volt Schumacher battery charger to keep it running while the batteries are unplugged.
Another option is to install manual battery disconnect switches similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ampper-Batter...s%2C209&sr=8-4

Installation is pretty much the same amount of work and difficulty as disconnection and reconnection one time.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It is not at all uncommon for our generators to start themselves. It normally happens during damp or very humid weather. The general consensus is that the contacts in the switch are dirty/corroded/spider webbed/etc and due to the very high moisture are momentarily shorted out, causing the generator to start. Some find that cleaning the inside of the switch can help. I suspect static electricity during a storm can also be responsible. Mine has done it only once over the years.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for that reply. I appreciate the feed back.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
You sure you don't have an AGS (auto gen start)???
As you stated, the start circuit needs to be held down for the 10s of seconds for it to start. And it would appear you have a diesel gen, which again has the delay to per heat before the crank time. The circuit would have needed to be closed for that time.
Makes more sense you have an AGS that was enabled and started the gen when the power went off
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I’m positive I don’t have an auto start. I ordered the coach new and am well aware that it doesn’t have auto start. Thanks for your input.

Tags
generator