Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator just stopped running...

This weekend I was testing out a few things on our recently purchased 1995 Minnie 300. I started the generator and it ran fine for about 15 minutes, then acted like it ran out of gas and stopped. I checked the gas gauge on the dash and I had 1/4 tank of gas. I kept trying to start it every 5-10 minutes. It would crank and sound like it was about to start but couldn't quite get there. About an hour after it died, I tried again to start it and it fired up. It was getting dark and I had to get it back to storage so I killed the gen, drove it to storage and parked it.

Any thoughts on why it might have died?
Bondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
JC2
Winnie-Wise

The pickup tube on most gennies usually only go down to about the 1/4 level of the main tank so the gennie won't run the main tank dry. Add gas to at least 1/2 tank and try again. If it still doesn't run, you have another problem.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondad
This weekend I was testing out a few things on our recently purchased 1995 Minnie 300. I started the generator and it ran fine for about 15 minutes, then acted like it ran out of gas and stopped. I checked the gas gauge on the dash and I had 1/4 tank of gas. I kept trying to start it every 5-10 minutes. It would crank and sound like it was about to start but couldn't quite get there. About an hour after it died, I tried again to start it and it fired up. It was getting dark and I had to get it back to storage so I killed the gen, drove it to storage and parked it.

Any thoughts on why it might have died?
My best guess is that the generator DID run put of gas. Manufacturers routinely cut the pickup tube for the fuel for the generator higher than for the RV motor. I'm sure you can see why. It makes sure you don't drain out all your fuel in the middle of nowhere and leave you stranded. Mine shuts down at 1/3 tank. This is normal.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You may not have enough gas to run the generator.

You can't run the generator until the tank is empty. The theory being that you could potentially keep running the generator so long that there is not enough gas to start your vehicle. You wouldn't want that, and therefore the generator runs out of fuel long before this could happen.

Try putting some gas in the tank and see if the generator will run then.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks JC2 and RVRon. Yeah that makes sense! I'm brand new to RV ownership so a lot of this is new to me.

Also thanks to The Danes who were posting while I was typing my response to JC2 and RVRon.
Bondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Generator STILL died with a full tank of gas

Well, it seems my gennie problems were more than just being low on gas . This weekend I filled the tank and ran the gennie. Again it died as though it ran out of gas about 5 minutes after I started it. An hour or so later, I tried it again and it ran for another 5-10 minutes, then shut off acting like it ran out of gas.

I plan to take it to someone that can repair it BUT any idea what the problem could be? If it's an easy fix/adjustment I will try it before bringing it in for repair.

THANKS for your help gang!
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #7

Have you checked the oil? Sounds like something is heating up..

Check here before you take it in.. Onan Generators - SmokStak
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Have you checked the oil? Sounds like something is heating up..

Check here before you take it in.. Onan Generators - SmokStak

Thanks for the link. I'll check the oil tonight...
Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

When is the last time you changed the fuel filter?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Definately sounds like a temperature related issue. It could be as simple as a bad sensor. Please let us know what you find!

Thanks
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Check out the post from "cardiffman" from yesterday! He had a similar problem and fixed it by removing the covers, running the gen and letting all the stuck debris blow away!

Good Luck!
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Is it producing power ? I found on a 4000 kv when you start it you must hold the start switch for a few seconds after it has started to produce power and tell the brain box it's running or the fuel pump WILL NOT stay on and it will out of fuel. If its not getting that signal it will only run on the gas that it pumped in to carb which is about five min or less
Old 10-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #13

Does it flash any codes after it shuts down?

What model geeny is it?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

have a friend who had that shut down problem. Check your thermostat. Engine runs till coolant heats up, thermostat stuck, shuts engine down from over heat. Engine cools off you can start again and engine heats and shuts down from stuck thermostat and over heat warning.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Earlier this year I had a similar problem. Generator might run for 2 hours, or 20 minutes and shut down. Never was able to catch a code displayed.
In May a tech found the fuel pump had an electical problem causing it to overheat and shut the generator off.
Been working fine since the fuel pump was replaced.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: We had similar symptons and found that the carbureator was dirty. If you don't like to tear into things, take it to a good shop. If you do, carefully remove the float bowel and clean things out. Ours has been fine for the last couple of years after a good cleaning.

Of course, this assumes good maintenance which means change oil, new plugs and points, air filter, fuel filter and cleaning stuff off the air shroud so it can get good air flow.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator