Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Generator invertor Newby question

So my wife and I just purchased a 2022 Winnebago 2529RG. I have done some research on generator invertor. My question is a 2000 watt generator invertor enough to run one a/c unit and power the TV and lights, Or should I be looking at a 3500 watt.
Thanks in advance.
mlynn2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Actually it’s an inverter generator, but no matter, it just means it’s a small, portable generator that has an inverter inside to help it create the appropriate voltage with a small quiet engine.

Most RV A/Cs require ~2500w to start the compressor and then only 1500 or so to run the unit after each compressor start.

So a 2200w generator may only put out a real world 1800 to 1900w and not be powerful enough to actually start and run the A/C. Be aware that you can purchase and install a soft start device to use less power at start up and likely find 2200w adequate.

Obviously, if you’re using 1500w to run thr A/C and the real world output of your generator is 1900w you do not have a ton of left over power capability available. Probably enough to watch TV but keep in mind the limits you’re dealing with

The problem with 3000w generators is their weight. Most are 80 to 100 or so pounds. Tough to lift in and out of the truck.

This is why many if not all 2200w generators can be paired with a second unit to provide twice the power at half the weight… but twice the cost, of course.

Like the famous line from Indiana Jones, “ Choose Wisely.”
Old 01-10-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

As mentioned, the choice gets intoseveral things and thinking ahead is needed to get the best answer.

One big thing that I might mention is that one generator of given size may work to run the AC and maybe some lights, but then it can get really a nuisance if you want to do somtehing like AC and the wife is fixing dinner and wants to use the microwave which DOES take lots of power, so you have to plan around the temperature,convenience of the microwave and kill one while using the other!
How much trouble on the one hand in hauling two or one bigger versus trying to work out which you can use and not at any given time.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynn2124 View Post
So my wife and I just purchased a 2022 Winnebago 2529RG. I have done some research on generator invertor. My question is a 2000 watt generator invertor enough to run one a/c unit and power the TV and lights, Or should I be looking at a 3500 watt.
Thanks in advance.
A 2500w inverter/generator will not run your A/C. A 2500w propane generator outputs outputs approx. 1,750w. A Honda 2200eu puts out about 100w more running on gasoline. Some have said they can run a 13,500 btu roof air on their Honda, other have said they can’t. I could not run my A/C off my propane generator until I installed a micro air easy start. It’s a computerized capacitor device that you install onto your A/C compressor. It costs about $240 and installation is easy, and takes about an hour if you’re the least bit handy. With the easy start, the A/C will run off even a 2000w generator. You can verify this on YouTube. But I will verify that mine runs well on 2500w propane with the easy start. It will not run the A/C and microwave at the same time.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I doubt that the generator you mentioned will start your AC without a SofStart device.

I know most swear by Honda but I recently bought a Predator 3500-watt generator (Harborfreight brand). Starts a 15K BTU AC without issue and is pretty quiet as well. On the downside, it weighs a 100 lbs (still less than two Honda 2200i combined).

Don't forget that you need a neutral bonding plug to make your surge protector work (you should use one even with a generator).

I am using this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator