Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator fuel supply

I have a 1989 Superchief and the generator is not getting enough fuel. Is the fuel supply from the main fuel tank or is there a separate fuel tank for the generator?
booyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Your generator pulls from the main tank. If your tank is less the 1/4 full it won't start and run so as to not run out of gas. You may also have a clogged fuel line or a plugged fuel line or your carb is gummed up. Start there and keep posting your issues. This site will help you.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The gauge reads over half full. Can I remove the fuel line from the gen and see if fuel flows? Is there a pump that feeds it or is it gravity fed from the tank?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah View Post
The gauge reads over half full. Can I remove the fuel line from the gen and see if fuel flows? Is there a pump that feeds it or is it gravity fed from the tank?
might be a small psi fuel pump on it... if you open the generator compartment the orientation will be pretty obivous.
Could disconnect the main feed and blow air through. Might want to open the fuel cap prior to doing so.
The carburetors are pretty simple and you can likely get the float bowl off (bottom) without removing the carb.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. Does the generator pull out or is it fixed inside the coach?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Llhllmllkkkklx

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks. Does the generator pull out or is it fixed inside the coach?
yes its fixed in place. You can put a jack under it and undo the brackets to remove.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I took off the fuel line to the gen. Nothing came out of the line. Hooked the gen up to a gas can with a hose to it and it ran fine. I blew air through the line back to the tank. I could hear it come out of the fuel filler neck so it looks like it is clear. I put some fuel back in the tank but still nothing out the line.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

This sounds like it can be one of only a few possibilities. If the gen runs fine off the gas can, then the problem is in the fuel supply. You applied air pressure to the line and heard the air escape through the filler neck. Did you hear fuel bubbling during that time? If the tank level is still below the gen sets siphon tube, air will come into the tank above the tanks current fuel level and no bubbling will be heard. Fill the tank and try again. If still no fuel to the gen, then there may be a small transfer pump between the tank & the gen that may have problems. This would be a good possibility if the tank & gen were a good distance apart. There also may be a small in-line fuel filter between the tank & the gen. If that filter is clogged, it may allow air pressure to be forced through it, but gravity fed fuel will be another issue due to the very low feed pressure involved.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Booyah,
On a formerly owned Winnebago Class C Outlook gasser we had the very problem you discribe. After a lot of investigation and fooling around by our dealer it was determined that there was rubber flapper valve in the gas tank that had become detached from where it belonged. The flapper would float about and get stuck in front of the gen-set fuel line. By this time the rig was a year old and just out of warrantee period. The dealer had to drop the tank, get in there and reattach the flapper. $600.00 was all it took. Our very fine dealer, Pleasureland of St Cloud MN covered the cost. When ever possible they will have my business.
Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I ended up dropping the fuel tank and taking out the sending unit. The line for the generator was partially clogged. I also noticed that the fuel pump screen and pump for the engine are gummed up from old gas sitting in the tank. I would like to replace the pump. Does anyone know where to buy the in tank pump and screen? It is an 80 gallon tank.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I ended up dropping the fuel tank and taking out the sending unit. The line for the generator was partially clogged. I also noticed that the fuel pump screen and pump for the engine are gummed up from old gas sitting in the tank. I would like to replace the pump. Does anyone know where to buy the in tank pump and screen? It is an 80 gallon tank.
Depending on if it's a Chevy or John Deere/Ford chassis, any good auto parts dealer should be able to get one for you.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Sammie, thanks. It is on a Chevy P30 chassis. From the parts stores I checked, they just carry the standard parts for a P30, not for a motorhome
Old 12-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Sammie, thanks. It is on a Chevy P30 chassis. From the parts stores I checked, they just carry the standard parts for a P30, not for a motorhome
Is there a NAPA parts store near you? They seem to carry some truck related parts.

Sammie
Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Does it look like this.

Fuel Pump by Delphi - part# FE0115

Sammie
Old 12-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Pretty sure all "P30" chassis use the same fuel pump. There is an upgrade walbro unit. Might poke around the chevy truck forums for info/part #s.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Sammie, yes, that is the pump. Thank you. Todd, I will check for the upgraded pump as well.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #18

Before You do anything ,FILL your main tank with fuel. FULL> In our shop we made a lot of money By doing that, And charging the consumer for Genset. Repairs. Fill the main tank..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

The fuel line was definitely clogged. Have the fuel tank out and also changing the fuel pump and hoses.

Tags
fuel, generator