Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone used the gen turi generator exhaust system or made a similar system? I was wondering how hot the pipes get, can you use pvc pipe?

2003 Harley Davidson Road Glide
ESTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone used the gen turi generator exhaust system or made a similar system? I was wondering how hot the pipes get, can you use pvc pipe?

Old 07-03-2005, 07:02 PM   #3

......a ten foot piece of EMT conduit and a 90 degree bend will do and you don't have to worry about heat.....$3.00 at Home Deopt everyday....geofkaye
Old 07-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The idea here is that this is a double wall pipe. Heat rises naturally. That means that the air between the inner and outer pipe will rise as it heats, carrying the heat out the top and insulating the inner pipe from the outer.
PVC, no, it will melt.
A piece of conduit, well I guess you could but it will get hot and it might burn someone if the came in contact with it and heating galvanized pipe is not a good idea either. Gives off poison gases.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We had a BAD experience with generator exhaust gases getting into the motorhome. Fortunately the detector did it's job and all was OK after evacuation and ventilation.

So now we use the gen turi generator exhaust system. It is a little pricey, but worth every $.

It looks neat and it carries the exhaust and noise up and away. I used it once in North Carolina when we parked in a Wal Mart lot during a hurricane...we were able to watch the TV and keep track of the storm without worrying about the gen exhaust.

I have seen the DIY things and frankly they look ugly.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Happy user here. We do a lot of dry camping at football games. Not only does the Genturi take fumes up and away from tailgaters back of us but also reduces the sound level from the genset both inside and out.

Betty Boop(Our white Boxer)
HuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I made my own & it hasn't melted yet. Here is a link if your interested.

Gen Stack
Old 07-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunny:
The idea here is that this is a double wall pipe. Heat rises naturally. That means that the air between the inner and outer pipe will rise as it heats, carrying the heat out the top and insulating the inner pipe from the outer.
PVC, no, it will melt.
A piece of conduit, well I guess you could but it will get hot and it might burn someone if the came in contact with it and heating galvanized pipe is not a good idea either. Gives off poison gases. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Appreciate all the good feedback guys. Question to you Gunny, what is the gen turi made of? Is it tubing that can be purchased locally or is it some material they made especially for this purpose?

Old 07-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I straight uniform diameter pipe will not work and may possibly damage your generator.

You need the "bulge" in the pipe to create a "venturi" action.

This bugle has to be in the correct place to create the venturi action and this "tune" the exhaust.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #10

.....gunny....it's not poision gas....we weld galvanized all the time-if your stomach gets upset drink milk.....anyway zinc is good for the postate gland[!].....geofkaye
Old 07-05-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I had made a pvc ehause using 1 1/2 inches shedule fourty pipe and a 90 shedule fourty electrical sweep. I connected it with a rubber plummbing connector to the exhaust pipe tip...no problem with heat, but I did notice some back pressure that caused the exhaust to leak arount the tail pipe fitting at the exhaust pipe (Winnebago do not weld all the way aroung the exhaust pipe). I had used the gen turi on my last gas rig and liked it..so after finding the back pressure problem, I went back to the gen turi on the desiel...works great

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote