Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The service manager asked why I had no cover door on the 5K Onan generator. I told him that this is the way I took delivery and was unaware there should have been another door behind the generator outside access door. He said the door encasing the Onan was to keep proper air flow and keep road dust out of area. I have never noticed anyone having their side access door open there by displaying some big 5000 Onan cover door. He is trying to find me one. What do the rest of you have and is it really a problem?

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The service manager asked why I had no cover door on the 5K Onan generator. I told him that this is the way I took delivery and was unaware there should have been another door behind the generator outside access door. He said the door encasing the Onan was to keep proper air flow and keep road dust out of area. I have never noticed anyone having their side access door open there by displaying some big 5000 Onan cover door. He is trying to find me one. What do the rest of you have and is it really a problem?

Ford V10
Old 11-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

yes the door actually reads that the generator could overheat without it on...I would just get a cover and change the air filter..

how may hours on it..
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It currently has about 60 hours of operations on the counter. It came with about 40 hours on the counter when I picked it up. I assumed the delivery driver ran the generated from the factory all the way to So. Calif. It has alway started and runs well the few times I have used it. I changed the oil at the 50 hour mark.

Ford V10
Old 11-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The replacement door can be ordered and we have found that they can vibrate loose and hitting a pot hole can cause it to fall off. We screw the cover on now; top corners will keep in on and easy enough to remove for servicing.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Service manager is right. Need that cover.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:10 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

And Onan recommends running it for min of two hours/month. Loaded.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rapid Ray:
The service manager asked why I had no cover door on the 5K Onan generator. I told him that this is the way I took delivery and was unaware there should have been another door behind the generator outside access door. He said the door encasing the Onan was to keep proper air flow and keep road dust out of area. I have never noticed anyone having their side access door open there by displaying some big 5000 Onan cover door. He is trying to find me one. What do the rest of you have and is it really a problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I called Onan when I lost my cover and they said that I should not ever run the genny without it properly installed. The life of the generator would be greatly reduced and the warranty void without it.

The cost in upper state NY was upwards of $250.

I made my own temporary cover using aluminum roll flashing and some aluminum channel for the trip home instead.

On my return trip I found my cover had been saved for me by the service station where it had fallen off. I am glad I filled up there on my way home.