Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator charges what batteries?

When the generator is on in my 2000 Itasca Suncruiser I ge a reading of 13.5 volts for the house battery charge but only 12.4 for the chassis. Is this a normal situation or do I have a solinoid problem? thanks for any help.
tom 6118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Normal....Genny charges only the house batteries via your converter...When your running down the road your engine alternator charges all batteries..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Chassis batteries get charged from alternator only unless you have a bird which it looks like you do not.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

In order to charge the chassis batteries from shore power or from the generator you'll need to add something like this TRIK-L-START . Winnebago started using these on all diesel pushers starting with the 2006 model year.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for the update...
Old 04-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
Or. . . . there were times before I finally fixed some battery charging and selenoid issues that I resorted to firing up the generator, plugging in a "better" automotive battery charger to the 115 ac, and (isolating first) giving the engine batteries a real charge over time while I messed with other things. Although someone noted that running the diesel engine at idle was not using any more fuel than the generator, the "less noise" factor, and that since it was summer, I wanted the A/C to run inside anyway. . . . .
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Another way to charge the chassis battery from the generator or shore power is to put something under the Boost switch on the dash to keep it in the on position. According to Winnebago you won't hurt anything because you're just activating the charge solenoid manually. It's a 100% duty cycle solenoid and is automatically engaged to charge both the house and chassis batteries when the engine is running.

I changed out the original switch with a double pole double throw switch with a center off position. I also added a pilot light so I know when the switch is in either the auto charge mode, manual charge mode, or off. I make sure the switch is in the auto charge mode (chassis and house batteries charged by the alternator when the engine is running) when dry camping. The last thing you want to find out when you go to start the coach is that you drained all the batteries.

The older Winnies (I believe prior to 2003) use the chassis batteriy to power all the 12 volt power points. So when you're parked you can drain the chassis battery by plugging in your phone or laptop charger. The later models connect the power points to the house batteries so they're charged when either on the road or connected to shore power.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Hikerdogs...I knew that the expertise of those on the forum would give more than one solution to a situation that would give food for thought for a number of us inexperienced RV users.. tom
Old 04-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

tom 6118, I would call Winnebago and ask if your year and model coach is supposed to have both coach & chassis batteries by the converter.

Both coach and chassis batteries in our 2000 Residency are charged from the converter and/or engine alternator When the charging voltage reaches 13.3vdc from any source, the isolator solenoid engages and sends a charge to both the chassis & coach batteries. When voltage drops below 13.3vdc it disengages to eliminate battery drain from one bank to the other.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote